News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

trainplane3

I don't understand the solo-IP approach here. I agree with the monorail idea. If they had done that - and then done retro pop-art touches of different IPs, I actually think it would be more successful. The Incredibles theme is a mix of underdone, overdone and oddly done at once - which is kind of impressive. I also think it reads much cheaper than the Contemporary's price point.
Yep, just push the monorail-ness of the hotel. The base design mostly works but it needs more monorail.

Also the bolded point feels like that scene from Anchorman:

Please don’t do this to Bay Lake Tower.
This^
Just demo it instead.

I have an odd hatred of the hotel.

hpyhnt 1000

I somewhat agree with you. Take out the Incredibles and the room is definitely better. I can't put my finger on it, but something with the room just does not seem deluxe in my opinion. I do like that there is carpet under the beds (I wish they would do that in all of the recent room referbs). But it is like the room is a pod or small container, maybe its how bright it is or even the way they trimmed out the windows/door to the balcony. I have always loved the Contemporary even with the flat sinks. This redesign certainly doesn't make me want to book a room at the Contemporary, that's for sure.
I think a lot of it is the finishes. The carpet, for example - why is it that pattern? Honestly, I feel it's more Star Wars than anything else. But whatever it is, it doesn't have the luxurious or classy feel I would expect of a deluxe resort.

Ditto the rest of the flooring in the room. It looks like a linoleum or vinyl with concrete effect on it? Not really sure, but again, whatever it is doesn't make the room feel inviting. If anything, it gives a stark and cold vibe.

You already noted the odd balcony framing, but there's other items that contribute to the room feeling un-deluxe. I think the wardrobe and other wood finishes are too light and would look better in something darker like walnut. There's also things like that retro looking lamp in the corner (looks more Jetsons than anything else), the bronze colored table that's just plopped in the middle of the room, and the brown stripe behind the beds. None of those things really fit with or complement each other, so you're left with a room that starts to feel kinda cluttered and, for lack of a better word, weird looking rather than welcoming and cozy.

EDIT - Just saw the TikTok walk through and the bright red doors on the wardrobe are not helping matters.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Taking what Disney has announced into account, our sources indicate that The Wave…of American Flavors will absorb the historical theming that the lobby is getting, and the new dining experience that Disney eludes to in their press release will be Steakhouse ’71.

Steakhouse ’71 will reportedly take cues from the Steakhouse 55 concept at the Disneyland Hotel, and the restaurant will be decked out in historical photos of not only construction of The Contemporary, but also early construction of Walt Disney World. This theme will be heavy in nostalgia, and sit in contrast with The Incredibles theme taking place in the guest rooms."

James Alucobond

Could not agree more. The curves around the windows look great along with the bathroom and bed frames. The incredible additions in all of the picture frames, closet, pillows, carpet, drapes, etc are just way too much.
This is my take as well. Everything is structurally sound, and the furnishings and bathroom are fine, but the decals in particular cheapen the look. I feel the same about the wallpaper in Wilderness Lodge, which just looks so weirdly cheap with the strange stock bevel-and-emboss effect going on. For some reason, the Moana wallpaper doesn't bother me as much as the decals here and at WL.

Splashin' Ryan

Here's the walkthrough posted on Tiktok -

Of course, everyone in the comments of that video is obsessed with it :rolleyes: Is no one else concerned that in a decade or two or even 5 years the Incredibles simply won't be a draw anymore? ( I don't even think they're that popular to begin with)
Thats the beauty of an IP-less room design, it can last for decades at a time without feeling irrelevant or outdated. Eventually these new rooms will need to be completely overhauled again, likely sooner than if their design did not incorporate characters everywhere.

Long term it will cost Disney more money but as we all know, Disney only looks as far out as the next financial quarter now 😔

UNCgolf

"Taking what Disney has announced into account, our sources indicate that The Wave…of American Flavors will absorb the historical theming that the lobby is getting, and the new dining experience that Disney eludes to in their press release will be Steakhouse ’71.

Steakhouse ’71 will reportedly take cues from the Steakhouse 55 concept at the Disneyland Hotel, and the restaurant will be decked out in historical photos of not only construction of The Contemporary, but also early construction of Walt Disney World. This theme will be heavy in nostalgia, and sit in contrast with The Incredibles theme taking place in the guest rooms."

That sounds neat. This should have been the concept for the entire resort.

Poseidon Quest

As long as they incorporate the Pork Tenderloin with cheesy grits into the new menu, I'm all for this refurb if it's handled correctly.

zachrupertdsn

I think it looks great. I grew up with the incredibles as a teen to an adult, and having this little bit of IP in that room actually makes me want to stay there more. I know not everyone shares that opinion, but I like having little splashes of IP in my room, otherwise I feel like you might as well be in a standard hotel. Again, I know most disagree, but I’m very excited to bring my son to stay there in a few years.

M:SpilotISTC12

Yep, just push the monorail-ness of the hotel. The base design mostly works but it needs more monorail.

Also the bolded point feels like that scene from Anchorman:

This^
Just demo it instead.

I have an odd hatred of the hotel.

The two bathroom 1 bedrooms and Top Of The World and the smell of the lobby make this hotel great. Everything else are just alright. But keep the IP away from DVC in general.

Q_Division

Like others have said bits are improvements others just miss the mark by some margin (the curtains, the decal, the jack jack poster). I do quite like the cushions though, although monorail themed ones probably would have been better.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Well get used to it, because the mediocre IP rooms will be there for years after anyone still cares for it.
In thinking about this more: Is the IP in the rooms a thing that's pushing the needle one way or the other for people?
I pose this same question to the geniuses who decide to incorporate the Incredibles into the rooms, are they seriously thinking that some family was sitting there on the fence between staying at Pop and the Contemporary and was like
"DANG!! they got the Incredibles! Honey we're selling the car! Let's do whatever it takes to be able to stay in these rooms!!"

I preach the vote with your wallet approach, and I am thinking to myself will the breaking point where I vote to STAY OR NOT stay at the Contemporary be: there's Incredibles IP in the room?

Obviously for most of us that get fired up and disappointed about these crazy (and I think inexplicable) changes it's more about the accumulation of things, room, and ticket pricing, food quality, lack of entertainment, spinner rides galore, etc. etc.

I am asking everyone, is there a scenario that the IP in deluxe level rooms is the breaking point?

GimpYancIent

In thinking about this more: Is the IP in the rooms a thing that's pushing the needle one way or the other for people?
I pose this same question to the geniuses who decide to incorporate the Incredibles into the rooms, are they seriously thinking that some family was sitting there on the fence between staying at Pop and the Contemporary and was like
"DANG!! they got the Incredibles! Honey we're selling the car! Let's do whatever it takes to be able to stay in these rooms!!"

I preach the vote with your wallet approach, and I am thinking to myself will the breaking point where I vote to STAY OR NOT stay at the Contemporary be: there's Incredibles IP in the room?

Obviously for most of us that get fired up and disappointed about these crazy (and I think inexplicable) changes it's more about the accumulation of things, room, and ticket pricing, food quality, lack of entertainment, spinner rides galore, etc. etc.

I am asking everyone, is there a scenario that the IP in deluxe level rooms is the breaking point?
Yep! The proverbial straw that broke the camels back.

M:SpilotISTC12

See this makes absolutely no sense. Make the rooms Incredibles themed but the steakhouse has WDW ties. Why not have some cohesion? You can’t have one or the other. All incredibles or not.

Q_Division

It might be initial reaction but as it stands it certainly pushes the needle between Tower and Garden for example. If they rolled it out to Garden as well, it starts pushing with some force as to whether or not I want to pay the premium for what is now (in my opinion) a cheaper looking room just so I can walk to the Magic Kingdom vs staying at a cheaper hotel and using the extra cash for other things (perhaps breakfast at the Magic Kingdom for example).

Q_Division

See this makes absolutely no sense. Make the rooms Incredibles themed but the steakhouse has WDW ties. Why not have some cohesion? You can’t have one or the other. All incredibles or not.
Agreed. It sort of reminds me of Epcot Forever, this is how good it used to be (ignoring the fact that we couldn't have original music in EF).

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

Everyone loves it until they find out it’s $1000 a night. This is AOA level theming at a 4 seasons price. They could have done much better than this.

I just hope they undo this in 10 years and don’t let it linger and stagnate when even more people care less about the Incredibles.

James Alucobond

I mean, I think it's worth noting that most of the IP is in soft goods and decals. It's easily removed, so even if this is an experiment gone awry, they can quickly adapt. The durable goods are generally inoffensive and theme-appropriate, and the structural changes are good, in my opinion.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom