News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

Robbiem

Tokyo Disney hotels each have a mix of resort themed and character themed rooms. Even the chain hotels there like the Hilton and Sheraton have fun themed floors.

While I would like a retro mary blair room I wouldn’t mind other people having an incredibles or marvel room if I have the choice of rooms to stay in

mgf

I am not sure why the assumption here is the entire resort is being themed. There are 650 rooms according to Disney's conference website, so I would expect that these will be upcharge rooms like at other resorts.

And remember, the Contemporary is a conference hotel and the conference hotel market has shifted a lot in terms of design standards - basically just becoming ultra generic. Having any kind of theming would actually make this a more unique stay for most business travelers. That probably will mean Disney characters. Just doing "modern" does not stand out much from an airport hotel or any of the other million conference centers that folks with heavy travel schedules cycle through in a given year (well, pre-covid).

aliceismad

I am not sure why the assumption here is the entire resort is being themed. There are 650 rooms according to Disney's conference website, so I would expect that these will be upcharge rooms like at other resorts.

And remember, the Contemporary is a conference hotel and the conference hotel market has shifted a lot in terms of design standards - basically just becoming ultra generic. Having any kind of theming would actually make this a more unique stay for most business travelers. That probably will mean Disney characters. Just doing "modern" does not stand out much from an airport hotel or any of the other million conference centers that folks with heavy travel schedules cycle through in a given year (well, pre-covid).
Interesting.

I get the impression from here and elsewhere that Disney frequenters are disappointed that as rooms are refurbished, they are becoming more generic and less unique (e.g., fake wood flooring, plain white bedcovering, etc. at Port Orleans, Yacht Club, etc.).

Meanwhile, Disney is also focused on adding IP where they can - in the park and now also in resorts. Maybe that's because some guests want to see more IP? ("My kid's favorite is Moana! What do you mean we can't see Moana?!) Maybe it's because they think it will sell more merchandise? It is a differentiator. I mean, Disney has to realize that there are more neighboring hotels and the quality of nearby hotels has increased (some even have impressive water areas, etc.). But none of them will have characters. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

NelleBelle

I was under the impression that the moana rooms were only some of the rooms at the poly and that the other rooms would be done in oceanic colors. I would assume the moana rooms would be an up charge, just like the pirate and princess rooms and CBR and POR. I can’t imagine every room being done with the incredibles at the contemporary for the above reasons pp have mentioned🤷‍♀️

UNCgolf

I understand. Nothing wrong with someone not liking princesses, or Incredibles, or even Mickey for that matter. Seems like the Tiana and pirate rooms were a way to get more cash out of guests and are sold as if they are preferable. I could see beancounters being interested in some Incredibles rooms at Contemp, Moana or Stitch rooms at Poly, etc. as a way to raise room rates. But due to covid, I'm sure they are taking extra hard looks at ways to minimize operational costs - making all bedding the same, for instance, so it doesn't require sorting. I'm not in hospitality, so I'm purely guessing at all of this.

The Tiana rooms at Port Orleans are preferable, which is annoying. We've stayed in the Royal Guest Suites at POR the last two trips -- not because of the theming (I'd rather have the standard POR theme than the theming that's in the Royal Guest rooms) but because of the location. They are all in 2 or 3 buildings very close to the main lobby/food court/boat to Disney Springs, and are within a short walk of two different bus stops. You can also walk to the French Quarter from there relatively quickly. Those buildings are in the best spot at the resort.

As for the topic at hand: I find it somewhat ironic that as Disney moves towards genericizing their resorts overall, they're also ramping up "themed" rooms that generally involve either slapping characters everywhere or doing something over the top cartoonish.

JMcMahonEsq

We were booked for the contemporary for this summer. We received a direct call from Disney staff that all the theme park rooms were being re-furbished. If they are skinning over those rooms, which are already premium deluxe rooms, I imagine they are going to do the entire hotel, with the possible exception of the garden view rooms.

wdwfan22

I was under the impression that the moana rooms were only some of the rooms at the poly and that the other rooms would be done in oceanic colors. I would assume the moana rooms would be an up charge, just like the pirate and princess rooms and CBR and POR. I can’t imagine every room being done with the incredibles at the contemporary for the above reasons pp have mentioned🤷‍♀️
All rooms at the poly are to receive the enhancements. These room enhancements are not on the same level as the royal rooms/pirate rooms at the moderate resorts. Those rooms are designed to appeal to children. The rooms and the poly and contemporary will offer light subtle themed touches. The rooms will be tasteful and still on par with other Disney’s Deluxe rooms.

JMcMahonEsq

All rooms at the poly are to receive the enhancements. These room enhancements are not on the same level as the royal rooms/pirate rooms at the moderate resorts. Those rooms are designed to appeal to children. The rooms and the poly and contemporary will offer light subtle themed touches. The rooms will be tasteful and still on par with other Disney’s Deluxe rooms.
The ones being considered for the Contemporary enhancements were certainly not light, not subtle, nor did I find them to be tasteful or on par with a Deluxe room experience.

wdwfan22

The ones being considered for the Contemporary enhancements were certainly not light, not subtle, nor did I find them to be tasteful or on par with a Deluxe room experience.

Well what i was shown I wouldn't call bold by any means. Everyone has different taste, I guess and plans could have changed from what I was shown it has been several months.

aliceismad

Incredibles is such an odd choice. Are those movies/characters even that popular anymore?

If anything happens to the Mary Blair mural there will be hell to pay.
I agree with the Mary Blair mural.

As for Incredibles' popularity, there is a 3rd movie rumored, and at the time it was released I believe Incredibles 2 was the highest grossing Pixar movie. Is that enough to push the franchise into a historic WDW resort? 🤷‍♀️ I liked the idea of a bank of Incredibles rooms based on the mod aesthetic of the movies. Redoing all of the rooms, similar to the Moana rooms at Poly, was not something I expected but seems to be the way forward for WDW.

castlecake2.0

I like the Moana rooms, but these drapes look hideous. How did pop century get nicer curtains than contemporary? Is it possible they do only certain rooms/floors to Incredibles? They could even do the garden wing all Incredibles and keep the main tower classy.

dreday3

I hate heavy curtains/drapes altogether, although I understand the need for them in hotels.

I think too early to tell as far as drapes- are they muted tones, shades of grey? Or are they colorful? If shades of greys, could be nice...colorful might be another story...

Or is what I see what it is?

SMRT-1Michael

Interesting the theme of the new rooms at Contemporary aren't Mary Blair/Small World themed or even Fantasia. Seems like a frankly obvious choice... but no one in WDI asked for my opinion...

nickys

Premium Member
I like the Moana rooms, but these drapes look hideous. How did pop century get nicer curtains than contemporary? Is it possible they do only certain rooms/floors to Incredibles? They could even do the garden wing all Incredibles and keep the main tower classy.
Except the Garden Wing isn’t being touched in this refurb.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom