News Contemporary Refurbishment--April to Sept 2021

JMcMahonEsq

Good god I truly hope they are not going with the Incredibles theming. They gave us the chance to look at the proposed testing room and while you are not allowed to talk about details.....ewww no. Only plus side to it was we got a gift card for doing the tour of the room and giving our opinions about it.

castlecake2.0

Mary Blair has SO MANY IPs attached to her artwork and then they test an Incredibles design? Just boggles my mind. Whether you view the mural as a gift or a curse, you need to work with it and not against it. With the amount of colours featured in the tile work and the amount of movies/attractions that draw inspiration from Blair’s work there are so many options to go with. Just embrace the mural and all its 70’s glory.

Sir_Cliff

Mary Blair has SO MANY IPs attached to her artwork and then they test an Incredibles design? Just boggles my mind. Whether you view the mural as a gift or a curse, you need to work with it and not against it. With the amount of colours featured in the tile work and the amount of movies/attractions that draw inspiration from Blair’s work there are so many options to go with. Just embrace the mural and all its 70’s glory.
Yes, I think this would be the perfect hotel to lean into WDW nostalgia like they did with the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim.

Such a missed opportunity to use Mary Blair artwork and vintage WDW artwork and graphics to make it a retro celebration of WDW. Particularly old Tomorrowland graphics and design features would work wonderfully.

Last edited:

castlecake2.0

Yes, I think this would be the perfect hotel to lean into WDW nostalgia like they did with the Disneyland Hotel in Anaheim.

Such a missed opportunity to use Mary Blair artwork and vintage WDW artwork and graphics to make it a retro celebration of WDW. Particularly old Tomorrowland graphics and design features would work wonderfully.
Could even set up one of those Art on Demand kiosks like at Riviera to sell the artwork seen around the resort.

aliceismad

I agree this would be ideal and I would love a Mary Blair-styled remodel. But if I'm the beancounter wanting a popular IP that I can sell to kids, Incredibles is retro, and I feel like it fits in better than most choices. It's set in the 60s. It even has a raised train in the 2nd movie similar to the monorail. To me, the Incredibles movies feel similarly to pictures of Tomorrowland in the 60s. I liked the look and feel of the test area, but I can see why others would not.

JIMINYCR

Remember the Contemp. was originally sold as a futuristic looking resort. Having the monorail run through the middle, the architectural style, the rooms that were supposed to be slid in and out whenever there was a change needed, all set up a theming of the future and what was to hopefully come. Mary Blair's mural contribution fed off of the Grand Canyon look to the vast open inside area which also works but says nothing for futuristic theming. We can have both, Incredibles inside some floors and Blair in others.

aladdin2007

I would love that as well and agree, but the people who work in Disney today and guests today dont even know who Mary Blair was for the most part, sadly. I mean we do on here of course but the general guest? Probably few unfortunately. Everything now has to be kiddified and for preschoolers, it was never meant to be that way.... looking at you chapek and TDO.

jmargarone27

Good god I truly hope they are not going with the Incredibles theming. They gave us the chance to look at the proposed testing room and while you are not allowed to talk about details.....ewww no. Only plus side to it was we got a gift card for doing the tour of the room and giving our opinions about it.
I’m interested to know how you got selected for this. I would love to do that someday when I’m there! And I know you can’t share too much, but they were really that bad?! I am not a fan of the use of IP in the resort rooms...my resort room is an escape from the park with tasteful Disney touches. It makes me nervous what they’ll do at the Grand Floridian because the other two monorail resorts are going the IP route.

JMcMahonEsq

I’m interested to know how you got selected for this. I would love to do that someday when I’m there! And I know you can’t share too much, but they were really that bad?! I am not a fan of the use of IP in the resort rooms...my resort room is an escape from the park with tasteful Disney touches. It makes me nervous what they’ll do at the Grand Floridian because the other two monorail resorts are going the IP route.
I will be honest I do not know if it was the fact that we stay at the Contemporary every year, or shear luck/randomness, but we were approached after checking in at the front desk by two very nice castmembers who asked if we would be willing to take 30-40min to help with a market study they were doing. We of course said yes, and then they informed us it would be to look at and provide comments on new Contemporary room designs. That afternoon we were brought up up a room in the corner of one of the floors and after signing an NDA, shown around the room.

We just got word that our trip scheduled for this year will have to be adjusted due to the contemporary not being available. When I asked about what was being done to the rooms, the person I spoke with didn't have (or was a good actor and couldn't provide details) about the refurbishment, but did say their supervisor who is normally very stoic was very excited about the change, and mentioned superheros. As there is an IP prohibition for Marvel on the East Coast, that narrows down I think the options for what the refurbishment IP is, and which has been previously discussed here on the boards, Neverland's post in this thread itself is instructive.

Personally I hated the new room concept. Part of that I am sure is considering Contemporary my "home" and just being so used and having such fond memories attached to the current theme/design. Part of it is also I think IP theming of rooms is very hard to get right. Everyone has their favorite characters and ones they don't gravitate to. Doing over an entire hotel with certain theming, if it is not centered around the fab 5 (micky, Mini, Goofy, Donald, daisy (could be pluto)) is going to be hit or miss with the broad cross sections of guests. Is it too princess a room for boys? Is it too old school (see fab 5) is it too centered on modern movies? Unless you go with Art of Animation type route with certain themed suites, to me it is going to fall flat for alot of people. Third, regardless of the IP content, I just didn't think the new design was well done. Again alot of that is taste and opinions differ, but to me it just wasn't for me.

aliceismad

Is it too princess a room for boys?
I was in agreement with you up until this, but I get the point that you're making. Any IP is going to appeal to some fans and not to others.
I agree that it's hard to hang a whole hotel on one IP. Perhaps there will be a happy medium such as at Caribbean Beach or POFQ where Disney charges a premium for pirate or Tiana-themed rooms? I could see Disney doing that gradually at each resort as they refurb them.

If it's superheros the overlords want, I'd much prefer Incredibles to GotG.

JMcMahonEsq

I was in agreement with you up until this, but I get the point that you're making. Any IP is going to appeal to some fans and not to others.
I agree that it's hard to hang a whole hotel on one IP. Perhaps there will be a happy medium such as at Caribbean Beach or POFQ where Disney charges a premium for pirate or Tiana-themed rooms? I could see Disney doing that gradually at each resort as they refurb them.

If it's superheros the overlords want, I'd much prefer Incredibles to GotG.
I honestly almost went back and changed it before I wrote it, but I decided to leave it as a) I was writing this during my lunch break and didn't have a ton of time, and b) i think it gets across the point i was trying to make.

I like the idea of a spectrum of IP based rooms, but I am sure from an implementation perspective, it is so much easier having a standard room to replicate across the hotel, rather than 4-5 different ones. I could also see problems with reservations with uneven demand, and people getting reservations thinking they were getting one room, but those are out and now your in a room you don't like.

aliceismad

I honestly almost went back and changed it before I wrote it, but I decided to leave it as a) I was writing this during my lunch break and didn't have a ton of time, and b) i think it gets across the point i was trying to make.

I like the idea of a spectrum of IP based rooms, but I am sure from an implementation perspective, it is so much easier having a standard room to replicate across the hotel, rather than 4-5 different ones. I could also see problems with reservations with uneven demand, and people getting reservations thinking they were getting one room, but those are out and now your in a room you don't like.
I understand. Nothing wrong with someone not liking princesses, or Incredibles, or even Mickey for that matter. Seems like the Tiana and pirate rooms were a way to get more cash out of guests and are sold as if they are preferable. I could see beancounters being interested in some Incredibles rooms at Contemp, Moana or Stitch rooms at Poly, etc. as a way to raise room rates. But due to covid, I'm sure they are taking extra hard looks at ways to minimize operational costs - making all bedding the same, for instance, so it doesn't require sorting. I'm not in hospitality, so I'm purely guessing at all of this.

JMcMahonEsq

I understand. Nothing wrong with someone not liking princesses, or Incredibles, or even Mickey for that matter. Seems like the Tiana and pirate rooms were a way to get more cash out of guests and are sold as if they are preferable. I could see beancounters being interested in some Incredibles rooms at Contemp, Moana or Stitch rooms at Poly, etc. as a way to raise room rates. But due to covid, I'm sure they are taking extra hard looks at ways to minimize operational costs - making all bedding the same, for instance, so it doesn't require sorting. I'm not in hospitality, so I'm purely guessing at all of this.
I agree with alot of that. The other part of this that strikes me as odd is they are starting this changeover with the theme park rooms Now at I guess I can understand the timing now, as with no fireworks these rooms have less of a demand, but the Contemporary Theme Park views (besides being amazing) already have a build in preferable upsale feature, the view. If anything I would have though you could have used lake view or even garden room view rooms to roll out the new OP features, in order to give those rooms some upsell potential.

nickys

Premium Member
I agree with alot of that. The other part of this that strikes me as odd is they are starting this changeover with the theme park rooms Now at I guess I can understand the timing now, as with no fireworks these rooms have less of a demand, but the Contemporary Theme Park views (besides being amazing) already have a build in preferable upsale feature, the view. If anything I would have though you could have used lake view or even garden room view rooms to roll out the new OP features, in order to give those rooms some upsell potential.
Getting them done before they bring back fireworks is my guess.

Notes from Neverland

Disney's website now mentions the "reimagined" rooms.

Starting in April 2021, Disney's Contemporary Resort will begin a refurbishment to reimagine Guest rooms. While some Main Tower rooms will be unavailable during the refurbishment, most resort areas and amenities will still be available for Guests to enjoy.

JMcMahonEsq

Disney's website now mentions the "reimagined" rooms.

Starting in April 2021, Disney's Contemporary Resort will begin a refurbishment to reimagine Guest rooms. While some Main Tower rooms will be unavailable during the refurbishment, most resort areas and amenities will still be available for Guests to enjoy.
This is such sad news to me. I guess it is possible that they took the feedback they received and changed the design of the model room I saw, but I doubt it. At least I doubt they changed it drastically from what the sample was. Obviously personal taste plays a big part in my thoughts of the new room, but it will really make me question going back there, or changing to another hotel. I will be interested to hear other peoples thoughts when the new rooms are debuted.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom