contemporary news

DVCFan

I know that this wing was used as the "Shades of Green" when that military hotel was being rebuilt, so Disney should have first hand information on how this would work out.

Epcot82Guy

That is interesting. Not sure on the complete believability of the source, but it makes intuitive sense. Next question is how dramatic the renovation will be. I would love to see more integration of previous designs from ideas like the Mickey Mouse hotel and the convention center (i know everyone else doesn't like it). Actually, put the design team at WDI that did the Land on that project. THAT would be a Contemporary update!

prberk

Personally, I think that the tower is nice, but it is WAY too expensive. I always stay in the garden wings (except once), and find them nice. They are quiet, and open right up to the lake. And the tower is right next door, if you need it.

Paul

bears163

Original Poster
bgraham34 said:
I have never had a desire to stay in the resort. I think its interesting to look at but thats about it.
i hate to say it but i feel the same way. now if they convert it into a DVC as the rumor goes well then maybe i might give that section a try.

prberk

The Contemporary is VERY convenient to the MK, and its marina is the best of all. You have access to both Bay Lake AND the Seven Seas Lagoon. You also get to see the night-time light parade over the water, and (my favorite part) the views from the 15th floor observation decks are spectacular, and very peaceful. You can see the whole "World" from there, including the fireworks.

And everything is within easy walking distance.

I love the Contemporary -- mostly because you can't stay closer to the magic, nor have a better view. And -- one more thing -- it has the largest of all regular hotel rooms on property. They sleep 5 (two queens + a day bed) and extra wide walking space in the room.

So, that's why I love it (in addition to the monorail). I just think, like many things at WDW in the last 10 years, the price has gone beyond rediculous. Compare the price to the same price for the best beachfront hotels at Daytona, or any other popular family vacation spot. Myrtle Beach and Nags Head are much less expensive, even in busy seasons, but especially in off season.

CaptainMichael

To me, the building is not as visually appealing and awe-inspiring as most of the other resorts. It looks quite dirty and 80's-ish. I would like to see something more contemporary and less Star Warsish.

Adayinthelife

Though I have been reading the forums here for some time, this is my first post. The reason I decided to post was to give a little insight into what is happening at the contemporary resort. I am in fact a former front desk CM at the contemporary resort. This is how I have an idea of what is happening, but in the end it is still rumors until you see it on paper.

First off it is true. They are looking into turning one of the wings into a DVC section. Rumor has it that Disney would like to see a DVC section at all of their properties due to the popularity of it all. I dont know too much more information on that part but I had heard before I left that they may start on it by the end of the year, once again though, things always change.

Second of all, there is some major remodeling in the works. Close to the end of 2004 if you stayed on the 1st floor in the south wing near the back you may have noticed the carpet was different and one side of the wall was different for only two rooms. That is because they were building new test rooms. I actually got to go into one of the rooms that they finished and let me tell you, it was amazing. Very chic and modern. They even had a roughly 27 inch lcd tv hanging on the wall. Once again though, this was just a test room but mgmt said that when they remodel they will be doing it section to section and the entire hotel wont be finished until possibly 2007. I'm sure they are waiting to see what happens with the DVC before they do anything huge though.

Third of all, as a former front desk CM I can tell you how many people tried that stunt with trying to get MK views. We had about 3 reservations on average a day complaining that they were promised a MK view but actually they just have a standard facing the wall or parking lot. Then they of course demand an upgrade. When you tell them you cant do it they give you a look like you just ruined your life. So, moral of the story kids. When you stay at the Contemporary Resort make sure you reserve a tower room and not a garden room. Above that, remember that MK views are requests only and you cant book them. Remember, you are in Disney World, have fun, dont let a location of a room ruin it all.

DisneyJill

Adayinthelife said:
Though I have been reading the forums here for some time, this is my first post. The reason I decided to post was to give a little insight into what is happening at the contemporary resort. I am in fact a former front desk CM at the contemporary resort. This is how I have an idea of what is happening, but in the end it is still rumors until you see it on paper.

First off it is true. They are looking into turning one of the wings into a DVC section. Rumor has it that Disney would like to see a DVC section at all of their properties due to the popularity of it all. I dont know too much more information on that part but I had heard before I left that they may start on it by the end of the year, once again though, things always change.

Second of all, there is some major remodeling in the works. Close to the end of 2004 if you stayed on the 1st floor in the south wing near the back you may have noticed the carpet was different and one side of the wall was different for only two rooms. That is because they were building new test rooms. I actually got to go into one of the rooms that they finished and let me tell you, it was amazing. Very chic and modern. They even had a roughly 27 inch lcd tv hanging on the wall. Once again though, this was just a test room but mgmt said that when they remodel they will be doing it section to section and the entire hotel wont be finished until possibly 2007. I'm sure they are waiting to see what happens with the DVC before they do anything huge though.

Third of all, as a former front desk CM I can tell you how many people tried that stunt with trying to get MK views. We had about 3 reservations on average a day complaining that they were promised a MK view but actually they just have a standard facing the wall or parking lot. Then they of course demand an upgrade. When you tell them you cant do it they give you a look like you just ruined your life. So, moral of the story kids. When you stay at the Contemporary Resort make sure you reserve a tower room and not a garden room. Above that, remember that MK views are requests only and you cant book them. Remember, you are in Disney World, have fun, dont let a location of a room ruin it all.

When were you a CM at Contemporary? I was Front Desk January-May '04. :wave:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Adayinthelife - welcome finally! :wave: Its always good to hear inside information, and what an informative first post!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
marni1971 said:
Adayinthelife - welcome finally! :wave: Its always good to hear inside information, and what an informative first post!
showed up with a bang didnt he....... :lol:

thanks for the insight. yep. i remember hearing something about the "test rooms" last fall. didnt know if they ever took place or not. sounds nice. me love 27" lcd. huh, not sure if kryssa would look better or not on that screen..... i think keith richards would look good on a 27" lcd tv.

Adayinthelife

thankyou for the warm welcome everyone. I was actually a cast member there from may 2004 until this past january. It was a great experience for me yet interesting at times too. Take for instance the week of the first hurricane we also had a flood that started on the 12th floor of the main tower. CHAOS!!!! We had to evacuate the entire tower. Thankfully it only happened at around 8pm instead of 4am.

So yeah, only take what I heard from people as rumor. I will bet money though that they are going to be doing a huge rehab through the entire place, cause it needs it!

Actually, I didnt write it before I dont think I wrote this before but the conventions department is who is funding the rehab. This probably explains why the test room was so modern and not kid friendly. Conventions is a huge part of the resort and the people who attend them want something nicer. I know I'll hear a lot of groans from that. Rumor also has it that that is why there are no more disney voices in the elevator, because it didn't sound "professional" enough.

evanssc

Adayinthelife said:
Rumor has it that Disney would like to see a DVC section at all of their properties due to the popularity of it all. I dont know too much more information on that part but I had heard before I left that they may start on it by the end of the year, once again though, things always change./QUOTE]

That is very interesting and the first time I have heard of such an expansion for the DVC. Thanks for the information.

I was wondering if anyone else has heard of this.

DisneyJill

Adayinthelife said:
Actually, I didnt write it before I dont think I wrote this before but the conventions department is who is funding the rehab. This probably explains why the test room was so modern and not kid friendly. Conventions is a huge part of the resort and the people who attend them want something nicer. I know I'll hear a lot of groans from that. Rumor also has it that that is why there are no more disney voices in the elevator, because it didn't sound "professional" enough.

Those characters voices in the elevators drove me insane, especially in the garden wings. "Garsh, here we are! The third floor!" :zipit:

I have to agree with the idea of catering to the convention guests. I would say out of every 10 check-ins I did, 7 of them were conventioners.

no2apprentice

prberk said:
I just think, like many things at WDW in the last 10 years, the price has gone beyond rediculous. Compare the price to the same price for the best beachfront hotels at Daytona, or any other popular family vacation spot. Myrtle Beach and Nags Head are much less expensive, even in busy seasons, but especially in off season.
I guess it depends on your perspective. I always thought that the deluxe resorts rack rates were kind of high (except for WL and AKL), until I saw a Travel Channel "Top Ten Family Resort" show. One (maybe two...can't remember) of the resorts for their top ten was a WDW resort(s). I was curious about some of the other resorts, so I checked out prices on the internet. The few I was able to confirm were no less than $280 a night, and didn't have four theme parks with AA attractions and excellent theming, or free transporation to four theme parks, two water parks, and a great shopping/nightlife play area, nor Mickey calling you in the morning with a wake up call. One of the places did have a chocolate factory nearby. :slurp:

prberk

no2apprentice said:
I guess it depends on your perspective. I always thought that the deluxe resorts rack rates were kind of high (except for WL and AKL), until I saw a Travel Channel "Top Ten Family Resort" show. One (maybe two...can't remember) of the resorts for their top ten was a WDW resort(s). I was curious about some of the other resorts, so I checked out prices on the internet. The few I was able to confirm were no less than $280 a night, and didn't have four theme parks with AA attractions and excellent theming, or free transporation to four theme parks, two water parks, and a great shopping/nightlife play area, nor Mickey calling you in the morning with a wake up call. One of the places did have a chocolate factory nearby. :slurp:

I love all of that and agree, except that I have watched the Disney prices go up far faster in the last 10 years than inflation. And at least the Contemporary used to be expensive but within reach of most middle-class families. Now, of course, when you add park admission and food, it just is not (nor, of course, is any of the other monorail resorts).

I just hate the way that it has gotten rediculously beyond inflation to vacation at Walt Disney World, especially in the deluxe resorts that the monorail makes you dream of. I say this from an adult perspective, having known the basic rates over the last 20 years or so, compared to other resort costs as a whole....

I guess the ticket price inflation makes it worse.

Anyhow, I still love the Contemporary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom