Contemporary Conundrum

captainkidd

Original Poster
What's up my peeps?

So, as you can tell by my signature, we like to stay at all different resorts. Which to me means, at some point, we have to stay at the Contemporary. As soon as I can book summer 2014, I am going to. But the question is, should we stay there. I think the rooms look nice, and I would definitely spring for a MK Tower view. I've always liked the outside of the building and the fact that the monorail runs through it. But there are many things about it I don't like.

-Sterile feel of public areas.
-Escalators in hotel.
-Monorail, convenient as it is, is really only good for Epcot, and for it, the Polynesian is much more convenient. However, we've stayed there numerous times and I understand next year there will be lots of construction.

But being Disney die-hards, we want to stay at every resort. My fear is, sitting on the balcony looking over to 2 beautifully themed resorts (Poly and GF) and regretting not staying there.

Can anyone feel my resort pain, of wanting to stay someplace but being worried about it?

MaxsDad

I have not stayed at the Contemporary Proper, but have at BLT. I agree with your "sterile" assessment. I did enjoy the stay. Those other resorts are just a short monorail ride away. You can eat/shop/walk there all you want. If you do, as you say, have to stay at the Contemporary, but do not want to gamble a whole vacation, do a split some time to try it. Then you have experienced it.

RedDad

Smitty Werben JagerManJensen
We stayed in a MK view room during our first stay on property and I honestly think it's something every WDW fan needs to do at least once. Sitting on the balcony watching Wishes every night was awesome, and being able to walk to MK is nice too. I honestly didn't get the sterile vibe at all, but the only other hotel I'd experienced before it was AS Movies, so I was pretty much in awe of the place. We'll definitely stay there again one day, but not before we experience most of the others.

mebucko

What's up my peeps?

So, as you can tell by my signature, we like to stay at all different resorts. Which to me means, at some point, we have to stay at the Contemporary. As soon as I can book summer 2014, I am going to. But the question is, should we stay there. I think the rooms look nice, and I would definitely spring for a MK Tower view. I've always liked the outside of the building and the fact that the monorail runs through it. But there are many things about it I don't like.

-Escalators in hotel.
-Monorail, convenient as it is, is really only good for Epcot, and for it, the Polynesian is much more convenient. However, we've stayed there numerous times and I understand next year there will be lots of construction.

But being Disney die-hards, we want to stay at every resort. My fear is, sitting on the balcony looking over to 2 beautifully themed resorts (Poly and GF) and regretting not staying there.

Can anyone feel my resort pain, of wanting to stay someplace but being worried about it?

What's up my peeps?

-Escalators in hotel.

Hi Capn'!
We have been going since '71 - 6 stays at the Contemp, including one in the Tower, MK view. We switched to the Poly for the last 8 or so trips (last in Sep 2011). We love the Poly, but were ready for a change, at least this time in October.
Agreed, it is a bit sterile, but that is not offensive to us, and it provides the change we wanted. They are definitely different in style! We opted for the Bay Lake view, and are looking forward to it. Understand the feeling looking at the Poly and GF from the Contemp - there will a bit of "homesickness", but we could always return to being Poly People next time. There were times we looked longingly at the Contemp from the Poly beach!
Not sure why you think the Poly is more covenient to EPCOT via monorail?
We love them both!
Cheers,
Bill

captainkidd

Original Poster
Poly is more convenient to Epcot, I think, because you can walk over to the TTC and get right on the monorail to Epcot. From The Contemporary, you need to get on the monorail at the hotel, get off at the TTC, then transfer over to the Epcot monorail. Not a huge deal. Same issue staying at GF. I think the Poly is the most conveniently located resort for both MK and Epcot. Obviously, Contemporary is most convenient to MK and Beach Club is most convenient to Epcot, but for both parks, the Poly can't be beat.

mebucko

Poly is more convenient to Epcot, I think, because you can walk over to the TTC and get right on the monorail to Epcot. From The Contemporary, you need to get on the monorail at the hotel, get off at the TTC, then transfer over to the Epcot monorail. Not a huge deal. Same issue staying at GF. I think the Poly is the most conveniently located resort for both MK and Epcot. Obviously, Contemporary is most convenient to MK and Beach Club is most convenient to Epcot, but for both parks, the Poly can't be beat.
Hi Capn',
You're right. We have always stayed in Fiji (by choice), so our TTC walk is a bit longer. But, it is great heading back after dark - pure magic! Believe me, the Poly is not out of our lives! The conch shell and drums.......!
Cheers,
Bill

MorganKelly

We love the CR, no doubt because it was our resort on our first WDW trip. We always stayed in a wing, because they were a bit less expensive, but booked a lake view, which was very nice. Sometimes we were in a corridor a long walk from the exits and had a hike to the main building, but we were younger then and didn't mind - LOL. We have wonderful memories of the original Top of the World, piña coladas with ice cream at the pool (do they still serve them?!) and taking a watercraft over to Discovery Island and River Country. We are DVC members now, but still visit to shop or eat (love the flatbreads at the Contempo Cafe) or sleep - we stayed at BLT the first summer it was open. The location is terrific. It's still a magical place for me.

mebucko

We love the CR, no doubt because it was our resort on our first WDW trip. We always stayed in a wing, because they were a bit less expensive, but booked a lake view, which was very nice. Sometimes we were in a corridor a long walk from the exits and had a hike to the main building, but we were younger then and didn't mind - LOL. We have wonderful memories of the original Top of the World, piña coladas with ice cream at the pool (do they still serve them?!) and taking a watercraft over to Discovery Island and River Country. We are DVC members now, but still visit to shop or eat (love the flatbreads at the Contempo Cafe) or sleep - we stayed at BLT the first summer it was open. The location is terrific. It's still a magical place for me.
Hi MorganKelly!
There is something special about that first resort! We also stayed in the Garden Wing(s) on that first stay. Discovery Island and River Country were great - really miss them! And talk about special - Top of the World!!!
Cheers to you and yours!
Bill
Bill

ASilmser

Been at contempo three times. It's fun to be there at least once. You won't regret it. There are so many variables and tastes, so whether you return will be up to you. Bottom line: you won't hate it, and your stay will be in line with what you'd expect from Disney. The best things, in our opinion, about the CR are the amenities. The gift shop is good, and they have a separate store for food and drink and "sundries". They have a good arcade, just like all the deluxe resorts. The Cali grill is one of our all time favorite restaurants on all of Property (being rehabbed right now, to open early fall) Chef Mickeys and The Wave are decent for what they are, and the contempo cafe offers some of the best counter service food on property. The pool is nice enough, though not as heavily themed as poli or beach club. The marina offers many unique experiences. Aside from location and view, that's why it continues to be on our rotation of places to stay.

zurgandfriend

We love the Contemporary and don't find it sterile at all. The rooms updated rooms are still great and are, in a word "contemporary." You can walk to the Magic Kingdom, the only resort where that is possible. We alternate between the Contemporary and the Grand Floridian, we have stayed at the Polynesian and although I love the Kona Cafe and the GCH I found the the resort so-so, but I was stationed in Hawaii for 2 years. Just goes to show you to each there own, try the Contemporary if you don't like it don't stay there again.

JIMINYCR

Go with Contemporary. You want to try it out once, so go for it. We enjoyed our stay there. Nice dock area to sit out at night, electric water parade at night, nice pools & hot tubs, convenient walk to MK, good shops, monorail station, good restaurants. I dont think the feel of the resort is extremely sterile as some make it out to be. It has its own ambiance. You got to try it, you will regret not trying it out.

Pooh Lover

Knowing how you are feeling, I would probably go with a split stay. Hey, if you really like it, go back again your next trip. If not, you only invested a few nights but can now say you stayed there. Look at it this way, you'll love being so close to the MK, being on the monorail and possibly viewing Wishes from your balcony. You'll be at WDW....how BAD can that get? ;)

Violet

Remember, it was designed to sort of be part of Tomorrowland (the theming), so it's kind of cool when you think of it that way.

We loved it. If nothing else, you can walk to MK :)

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If all goes according to plan we'll be staying at the contemporary MK view this September.
The main reason we're staying there is for my son.

Our first deluxe stay was the AKL my daughter's favorite
Our second deluxe stay was the Poly - my favorite
My son's favorite resort is the Contemporary and we're planning on making that happen.
The thing about the Contemporary is staying in the tower with the MK view. I couldn't see spending the coin for the contempo without the extra money for the MK view.

Another great thing about the Contemporary is it's a nice short WALK to the MK.

You're right about the awesomeness of the Poly but I don't think you'd be sitting on your balcony at the Contempo and thinking about being at the Poly.

Put it this way:

I think that Olivia Wilde is hotter than Mila Kunis but If I was on a date with Mila I would not be thinking Olivia.

GoalieGirl16

It is where we have our honeymoon stay booked! I like the convience of getting off the monorail right there in the hotel. Plus it is where I first stayed with my family. Good memories!

SnowFire

I always felt the same way about the Contemporary. Until we had the opportunity to stay at BLT on the night it opened. Now, it's one of the resorts near the top of my list to return to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom