Contemporary $970 RIPOFF

GimpYancIent

Disney on property resorts are priced as they are because of the exclusivity of being on property and being Disney! Anywhere else the resorts would not be rated as they are but quite a bit less and command a much lower price. With Disney not being the "Magic", it once was and pricing / costs inflating to ridiculous levels for what is becoming a Meh product there needs to be a moratorium on any potential price increases plus a restructuring of the pricing model.

MickeyLuv'r

While the breakfast accommodations were valuable, the thing to keep in mind is would you have spent $30-40 per person on breakfast every day over a 5-7 day trip, or would you have just booked one buffet breakfast as a treat for the trip, and gone down to the resort gift shop for cereal boxes/milk for the rest of the days so you can efficiently get out to the parks?

Plus, any other food/beverage offerings holds you down to the resort if you want the benefits. With the Magic Kingdom Resorts especially, unless you plan on spending most of your trip in Magic Kingdom where you can walk back easily to your Club Level, it will be a hassle to come back for a free latte if you're in Animal Kingdom, let alone Epcot.

So if your family prefers to stay close to the resort for the majority of the morning/day and go to the parks in the evening, then perhaps it might be worth it. But for us, it wasn't worth it and we never did it again. And that was back when it was relatively affordable, and not $700-900 per night. I couldn't even imagine trying it now.
Yes, there are trade-offs to Club Level for certain. One of them is having to return to the lounge to get the food that is served, and it doesn't work with many people's style of park touring.

We don't usually spend $30 per person per day on breakfast alone, but recently at the Swan, a minimal grab and go breakfast consisting of: bagel, juice, and yogurt = cost nearly $20/per person. (The Swan isn't WDW, but Disney food court prices/QS prices run similar. )

Add just a beer/glass of wine per adult (2), plus a soft drink per child (2) and you've now spent over $100.

It is possible to spend less than that on food at WDW, but it is also possible to spend more than that. (cost/value from Club Level)

To answer your question, I've done WDW just about every which way. Some visits we stick to a very low budget. We've stopped at WDW area grocery stores, packed food in a suitcase, made 2 meals of a pizza from Blaze, eaten many meals offsite. We also have had some splurge visits.

I will also say again, the non-club level rooms are not worth the current asking price. For much of 2023, Pop Century rack is now $280 or more on the weekends (w/the 12.5% tax) for the cheapest room. "Pool view/Preferred location" is a $30-60 upcharge, though that's not factoring the current discount offers.

Weekends at CBR currently run $350 -$400 rack on weekends most of 2023. Pretty crazy!

Contemporary Lake view for Feb 14 rack is $860, Club Level is $1141, so an upcharge of $281. In the spring, with the discount offer, the difference between CL and not CL is March $232. Again, I don't think CL is worth a $200 upcharge.

For that matter, the current WDW food pricing is also absurdly high! 'Ohana is not remotely worth $80 per person (w/ tax and tip).

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

Minor update...

I just watched this guy's video on the new ship that DCL bought and he's a total jagweed. He figured out that bashing Disney gets clicks and views so now he's found his revenue stream.

And he says "weary" when he either meant "wary" or "leery" so he definitely can't be trusted.

Contemporary Concierge still sucks tho.
That was the vibe I got. He mentions casually that his stay was DURING the hurricane. As in, during Ian?

The hurricane that took 61 lives, caused $1.2-1.9 billion worth of damage, and wiped out 1/3 of FL's citrus industry?

And he actually whines that the Tower club level was only serving 2 brands of beer that day?

More context to consider: Tower Club level has a total of 17 rooms, and only 4 are not suites. Of those, only 2 face MK, one is a king-bed room and the other is a handicapped accessible room. The ONLY way to book a Tower level non-suite room is to call WDW, and specifically ASK for them. They are not bookable on the website.

He very specifically sought out a room located in the most remote location on property, during a hurricane. WDW operations were not running anything close to normal.

WDW staff provided all kinds of resort activities during the storm, and he could have covered that. I suspect he booked that room because he wanted to post MK storm damage.

Wanted33

While I understand the views of others I'm in a completly different catagory. Every since our first visit in 1977 I've wanted to stay the the Contemporary. Now that I'm finally able to afford a few days there without in putting me in the poor house, I can mark it off my bucket list. Is it too expensive, dang right it is...but for me it's now more about the experience than the cost.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom