Construction walls up along Grand Avenue at Hollywood Studios. New snack stand coming?

ToTBellHop

Ummm, many mummies in museums in NYC?
Perhaps, but none are alive and the only mummies with roller coasters are in Egypt, obviously.

So, true story—they have The Book of the Dead on display (all strewn out) at the Met and I was like, “should we be allowed to read this? ‘Cuz I know what happens if we do…”

Touchdown

Universal Studios still claims to be a studio though and the beginning of the Mummy queue clearly states this is a (cursed) movie set. If you are wondering how the movie set became cursed the videos in the first room explain that they are using real mummy and Egyptian artifacts as props and that Immotep is an old Egyptian Legend in that universe.

ToTBellHop

Universal Studios still claims to be a studio though and the beginning of the Mummy queue clearly states this is a (cursed) movie set. If you are wondering how the movie set became cursed the videos in the first room explain that they are using real mummy and Egyptian artifacts as props and that Immotep is an old Egyptian Legend in that universe.
And they definitely shoot tons of movies in sets built in Manhattan because that isn’t cost-prohibitive.

It’s a silly placement that we ignore because it’s in a park that is filled with thematic issues. At least we have IoA next door when we want a real theme park.

It’s a bit better than the one in Hollywood, at least. Mummy next to Jurassic World ‘cuz why not?

DCBaker

Premium Member
Photos from today - a steel frame has risen above the walls.

IMG_6253.jpeg
IMG_6252.jpeg

IMG_6261.jpeg

Last edited:

999th Happy Haunt

And they definitely shoot tons of movies in sets built in Manhattan because that isn’t cost-prohibitive.
Not to derail this thread any further but I don’t think Mummy is supposed to take place in a soundstage literally in Manhattan, but in one next to or part of a Manhattan set in the studio lot that is USF. Either way it doesn’t really matter, Florida’s Mummy is still probably the best indoor coaster ever made.

Touchdown

Not to derail this thread any further but I don’t think Mummy is supposed to take place in a soundstage literally in Manhattan, but in one next to or part of a Manhattan set in the studio lot that is USF. Either way it doesn’t really matter, Florida’s Mummy is still probably the best indoor coaster ever made.
Cosmic Rewind is a worthy competitor. I don’t know if I can choose, especially since I haven’t been able to ride Rewind multiple times a day yet…

DisneyFanatic12

Cosmic Rewind is a worthy competitor. I don’t know if I can choose, especially since I haven’t been able to ride Rewind multiple times a day yet…
I’d say take away the 1990’s RnR’ area and make that more thematically interesting (or at least get rid of the 90s figures) and it would easily be one of the best if not the best themed indoor roller coaster. Cosmic Rewind is one of the best indoor rollercoasters, but I wouldn’t say was of the best themed roller coasters.

DisneyFanatic12

^The best themed roller coaster for me is still BTMRR, Hagrids comes close (but fails due to no story reason tracks exist.). I suspect DK coaster going into Epic will complete for this as well.
BTMRR is truly amazing with the environment they built. As far as indoor rollercoasters go though, it’s usually hard to theme a spaghetti coaster. And you can’t economically create a long(er) indoor coaster without it being a spaghetti coaster.

celluloid

It’s a silly placement that we ignore because it’s in a park that is filled with thematic issues. At least we have IoA next door when we want a real theme park.

It’s a bit better than the one in Hollywood, at least. Mummy next to Jurassic World ‘cuz why not?

IOA is not without its issues too. Jurassic World is in Jurassic Park, but only if entering from certain sides. Sometimes it is Jurassic World and Jurassic Park. The Incredible Hulk is no longer a Comic book world version of the character but everything else is. Lost Continent is...lost. Sometimes Suess is classic book art inspired or animation. Sometimes its Live Action Jim Carey inspired. Toon Lagon sometimes has had Costumed characters and sometimes face characters.

Universal Studios has always gone back and forth to being in the movie and movie set. You may not like it but it blurred the line. The only Land that was ever "The Place" from the get go was Amity. Everything else besides what was mentioned was always entering a hot set concept or peeling curtain back to pretend to be a live make up or post production demonstration.
Universal Studios' New York Section never had attractions that claimed to be the real NYC in any attraction except for Ghostbusters(to help location but even then, it was self-aware seminar in Orlando back and forth) and Jimmy Fallon also currently in that spot.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
Original Poster
Currently at HS and grabbed these photos while passing by Grand Ave. Spot the ladder!
PS, I never contributed to a thread (in-person) that I personally made a while ago, so this is a first!! :D
20230929_163350.jpg

20230929_163414.jpg

20230929_163442.jpg

20230929_163551.jpg

Also, not sure if it was previously mentioned here but the Muppets fountain is currently behind rolling planters, presumably for some general refurbishment.
20230929_163543.jpg

Last edited:

NiarrNDisney

Can't wait to see it finished. Grand Ave is lacking in many ways though probably because its seen as a passage way to major areas but honestly could use some TLC and maybe some rethinks in the Muppets Courtyard to build the theme up as a whole.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom