Construction & Expansion Thread

Scuttle

image.jpg
image.jpg
Main sign up

TalkingHead

There is an old motel in Savannah Ga called the Thunder Bird Inn that has exactly those colors. Let's see if I can find a decent pic. I think the Uni hotel is exactly from the 50's motels, style wise and colors.

Go under photos, I'm thinking the Thunder Bird is the original style because it's been there for a long time.http://www.onetime.com/hotels?talid...&supap2=&supdev=c&suprnd=12992749671895720037

I looked through some of those pics, and to my untrained eye, at least, the yellow and red at the Thunder Bird look a bit brighter than what is at Cabana Bay.

I don't necessarily think the hotel needs to strictly follow the color scheme of 50's motels, but I'm still not overjoyed with the colors as they currently look. I do think the style of the sign and the porte cochere area look really good.

twebber55

when I was there Friday I saw a sign that said construction starts 2/3/14, about where you would think the pedestrian bridge is going

NutsForFlorida

There is an old motel in Savannah Ga called the Thunder Bird Inn that has exactly those colors. Let's see if I can find a decent pic. I think the Uni hotel is exactly from the 50's motels, style wise and colors.

Go under photos, I'm thinking the Thunder Bird is the original style because it's been there for a long time.http://www.onetime.com/hotels?talid...&supap2=&supdev=c&suprnd=12992749671895720037
That's funny. There is an apartment building in downtown Minneapolis that looks just like that too. A lot taller though. But it has those colored panals all over th exterior.

twebber55

i was thinking this has more to do with pedestrian bridge... and less about new hotel although the sign was posted in front of where the new hotel will/would go

biggreen19

I listened to Jim Hill's podcast and he commented on Cabana Bay's architecture being similar to Wildwood NJ "Doo Wop". I posted a couple of pics here, but you can google Wildwood Doo Wop and tons of pictures will come up. I have been to WIldwood few times and I can see some of the "Doo Wop" architecture influences at Cabana Bay and I am looking forward to checking out the Hotel when it opens
lollipop motel wildwood doowop.JPG
images.jpg

doowop doo-wop caribbean wildwood nj.JPG

DOWOP-Wildwood.jpg

Scuttle

That is very similar. I wish I could capture some good night pics for you guys because the lighting at cabana bay is awesome, especially the main sign!

danpam1024

Not a question of boldness. I'd say the colors they picked are quite bold -- heavy, even. A sunny day makes the paint scheme look a little better, but even in the sunlight I've thought it looked a little off.

And surely the only alternative to this paint scheme isn't garish All-Star sculptures.
I LOVE the color scheme- very retro in keeping with the theme. Stardust sign looks great at night too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom