Construction & Expansion Thread

Big C 73

Original Poster
As Universal keeps building its resort empire here is a thread for discussion for ALL recent expansions, construction and other changes or added details around the Universal Studios Orlando Resort. Trip reports, pictures, and news can be added also.

RTeker

I've seen the got the support system up for the train tracks but the tracks themselves have yet to be layed. And from what I saw while waiting for Sin Bad the Hogsmeade station is 10-15% done and that's being optimistic

JT3000

I've seen the got the support system up for the train tracks but the tracks themselves have yet to be layed. And from what I saw while waiting for Sin Bad the Hogsmeade station is 10-15% done and that's being optimistic

Ehh...
9266498178_cd886fc968_b.jpg

RTeker

Said I was being optimistic but for another shot, which didn't take, you gotta go though sinbads show. Can see a little more from that left floor side of the theater near the stage

pheneix

I wonder what awkward looking wall is going to be erected between Hogsmede station and Dragons because that diving loop/turn element on Dragons is gonna send all kinds of potential loose objects on a sharp trajectory towards hundreds of people every 90 seconds.

BryceM

I wonder what awkward looking wall is going to be erected between Hogsmede station and Dragons because that diving loop/turn element on Dragons is gonna send all kinds of potential loose objects on a sharp trajectory towards hundreds of people every 90 seconds.
I've also been wondering this. I'm just glad that this area around the Dragons won't be looking so bare anymore. But here's to hoping they add some nice foliage and rock work all the way around/under the coasters, and just not near the HE station.

HTF

The south station has come a long ways in the past 90 days thanks to 24hr shifts on construction. Now while the South station is still large, complex, and very well themed its definitely not as elaborate as the North Station in terms of theming and size. Earlier this year several factors led to the South Station being well behind schedule and what wasvonce nothing more than foundation work at the South while North was well into vertical construction, ride support installation, and facade test mock ups has turned into a massive building in a short time span.

Another thing to consider is the way the South station is being laid out and built. Maintenance's floor is 5ft below grade and the station floor we walk on is 18ft above grade. The tip of the highest roof is just under 60ft above grade. What most don't see is this stations foundation and set up is being built into the earth so to speak, most would never know the South Station is close to a seven story tall building so to speak. So while construction may not "appear" as far along as it should I assure its much further along then it appears. Last but not least theming will be easy compared to the North as this will be blanketed with stone, wood, iron, and dense vegetation. The North on the other hand....Whoa!

Last edited:

StageFrenzy

Noticed the colors the last couple of times I was there. Not sure I like them. The red and yellow(?) are especially...yeah.

Not bold enough? Looks like they are going for the muted Mondrian. It is a very crappy day, so shade looks a bit darker. The other alternative is 20ft tall sculptures showing how magical the location is.

Question are the hallways on the outside or inside?

MonkeyHead

Exterior hallways for the family suites in the first phase, and interior hallways for the single rooms and family suites in the tower rooms.

TalkingHead

Not bold enough? Looks like they are going for the muted Mondrian. It is a very crappy day, so shade looks a bit darker. The other alternative is 20ft tall sculptures showing how magical the location is.

Question are the hallways on the outside or inside?

Not a question of boldness. I'd say the colors they picked are quite bold -- heavy, even. A sunny day makes the paint scheme look a little better, but even in the sunlight I've thought it looked a little off.

And surely the only alternative to this paint scheme isn't garish All-Star sculptures.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom