Considering Working at Disney World

DuckyNash

Original Poster
Well, folks. Next year, once my car is paid off completely, I'm considering working at WDW. I dated someone who worked for WDW at the time and she told me what it was like to work there.

I'm going to apply at the Casting Center, find a place of my own (if I get the job) somewhere near Disney property, and that'll be that. Maybe if I live there, I'll make new friends and they can become my roommates.

Even though I've been told Disney chooses a position for you, I'm hoping to get something like a Character Performer, Merchandise Cashier, or the person who works on rides.

BTW, I haven't posted in a while because of doing community theatre. But now I'm back and able to post again.

TrojanUSC

Disney doesn't "choose" the role for you, unless you're doing the college program, where they are a little stricter. You can go into Casting and they will give you a list of open positions (attractions, characters, merchandise, etc). The recruier might try to sway you to a higher need area (ie Foods over Attractions), but I'd stress your interest in whatever area you want. Your choices might be a little more limited if you are looking for a full-time benefited position.

You MAY get a choice regarding what park or land you'd like to be at -- but it is the training or HR manager at the park who will decide what attraction you will be working at. For example, you might be hired into MK Foods or Dinoland attractions. It won't be until your second day of work (usually park-specific oritentation) until you find out what exact location you will be at.

If you are doing merchandise, attractions, foods, security and any other standard service position, odds are your interview will happen same day, then they will decide whether or not to hire you and you will sign your new hire paperwork that day. They will schedule you for the new hire orientation, Traditions, within one week.

If you choose concierge, lifeguarding, characters, etc. odds are there will be a second interview and perhaps an audition.

raven

HA! This post could have been mine! I spent 13 years in Michigan doing theatre and have been trying to get to Florida for Disney every single year. Now I can happily say TODAY I MOVED INTO ORLANDO!!! :sohappy:

I have an audition on Friday!

828tnt

well, a sincere CONGRATS TO YOU!!!!:sohappy::sohappy:

i had a similar point in my life where i was looking to make the move and decided against it. i'm both happy and sad i didn't do it, but GOD BLESS!!!!! what a great place to take a chance on your dreams!

i hope all the best for you and your dreams!

may you find kungaloosh and hoopla!

tim and tisch

HA! This post could have been mine! I spent 13 years in Michigan doing theatre and have been trying to get to Florida for Disney every single year. Now I can happily say TODAY I MOVED INTO ORLANDO!!! :sohappy:

Since1976

My one regret about my college years is that I didn't try out for the WDW College Program. Now I'll have to wait until I retire...

plaz10

i really want to try for the college program now...but i'm in love with a guy and we live together in pennsylvania and he is looking to go to med school, and i just dont think i could leave him. what are the time frames for the semsters at the college program? i was thinking of going while he's away at med school so that i wouldnt see him if i was home anyway...

help :veryconfu

360rico1

congradulations!!!!!!!

Chernobog

well, actually...

Not meaning to rain on your three 'o clock parade, but I doubt you'll have a place of your own with any of those jobs... I used to rent a room in a house down there. That wasn't too bad. Still money was really, really tight.

Good luck! It's great fun to work there, and I'll see you when I retire if you're still there.

Krabinz

Living in Orlando

I have a son who is trying to start a life there and I have found a lot of rooms on craigslist.com that are for rent. There are a lot of cast members who rent 4-5 bedroom houses and share the expenses....great for my 20 year old.

Will be going down Oct 4th to try and help him get set up.

bayoutinkbelle

I've often thought about moving to work at WDW after retirement, which is years away. But my company now is firing workers like cats shed hair, so I'm stocking cash away while I can. If the ax falls on me, it's a move I'd seriously consider.

Congrats on your audition, and good luck to all!

Iknewagirlnamed

i really want to try for the college program now...but i'm in love with a guy and we live together in pennsylvania and he is looking to go to med school, and i just dont think i could leave him. what are the time frames for the semsters at the college program? i was thinking of going while he's away at med school so that i wouldnt see him if i was home anyway...

help :veryconfu
All I have to say is follow your dreams. I was/am in a similar situation with my boyfriend. From the time we met he knew I as going to move to Florida. At first he was willing to let me go but as our relationship progressed, he realized he wanted to move with me so we could stay together. If this is something you really want, don't give it up for someone that isn't willing to compromise themselves.
Seriously, follow your heart.

TrojanUSC

Does anyone know the requirements to work seasonal at WDW?

Yes...Disney will tell you that you need to be available during peak seasons (Christmas, Summer, etc). That being said, the reality is a little different. You do need to be available for at least a month during a peak season (your chances on getting hired are the best for a couple months during the summer). Also, you will need to be available pretty much full-time during your season. There are exceptions to this, if you are willing to work in a very high-demand area (read: quick service foods) and it is done on a case by case basis.

After your season is done, you only need to work ONE day per year to keep your active status. You will not get perks while you are not working (admission to the park, backstage access, complimentary admission media, etc.). The next time you want to work, you can call the scheduler for your area or your manager and say you want to work between two dates.

There is a way to keep your perks when not working, it used to be that you had to work at least 300 hours during the previous calendar year. However I think that qualification has been lowered a bit since I was hourly.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

kcw

Does anyone know the requirements to work seasonal at WDW?

Yes...Disney will tell you that you need to be available during peak seasons (Christmas, Summer, etc). That being said, the reality is a little different. You do need to be available for at least a month during a peak season (your chances on getting hired are the best for a couple months during the summer). Also, you will need to be available pretty much full-time during your season. There are exceptions to this, if you are willing to work in a very high-demand area (read: quick service foods) and it is done on a case by case basis.

After your season is done, you only need to work ONE day per year to keep your active status. You will not get perks while you are not working (admission to the park, backstage access, complimentary admission media, etc.). The next time you want to work, you can call the scheduler for your area or your manager and say you want to work between two dates.

There is a way to keep your perks when not working, it used to be that you had to work at least 300 hours during the previous calendar year. However I think that qualification has been lowered a bit since I was hourly.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

I went seasonal after my CP so I didn't have to work a "season" first, but I do know the requirements for how many days per year are actually different from one department to another. For entertainment, it's only a day, but I've heard people in merchandise and foods say different for theirs.

Also, you don't just get your perks while working, you get them after you've worked for that year. I've been going down to work in July, so I have my ID and can get into the parks from July-December, until my maingate expires. If I were to go down and work in January though, I'd have my ID for the whole year until the maingate expired on December 31st. You do get the comp tickets as well, but it's simply one set per year as opposed to FT that gets two sets a year. I just missed the cut-off to get the summer comp tickets, so I'll get mine when they roll out the winter comp tickets.

TrojanUSC

I went seasonal after my CP so I didn't have to work a "season" first, but I do know the requirements for how many days per year are actually different from one department to another. For entertainment, it's only a day, but I've heard people in merchandise and foods say different for theirs.

Also, you don't just get your perks while working, you get them after you've worked for that year. I've been going down to work in July, so I have my ID and can get into the parks from July-December, until my maingate expires. If I were to go down and work in January though, I'd have my ID for the whole year until the maingate expired on December 31st. You do get the comp tickets as well, but it's simply one set per year as opposed to FT that gets two sets a year. I just missed the cut-off to get the summer comp tickets, so I'll get mine when they roll out the winter comp tickets.

It's a little different when you're a CP first. The program counts as your "season." You can be hired as CP, Full-Time or Part-Time and downgrade to CT (casual temporary, meaning seasonal) at anytime following your first 90 days, without having to work a full "season."

The maingate and all that come after a year. Until you hit that year and met the requirements that your area has, you will only get a Disney ID when working (those white temporary ones).

chels26

i just finished out my CP, and ended up staying here and getting a town house with a bunch of my friends from work.

All i have to say is- good luck. It's very difficult working for disney and trying to live on your own. Disney may seem great to you right now.. but trust me when i say after the first few months your opinion on the walt disney company will change. Don't get me wrong- i still LOVE the place. But you just see a lot of things differently and see how cast members are really treated... Sure, most of the people here on the boards are nothing but completely nice to the cast members, but people will go out of their way to make you upset or angry and try to get something out of you and sometimes all you can do is stand there and take it. And then a manager will come, and not defend you. Even though the CM was completely in the right.

good luck. It's one of the most amazing experiences you'll ever endure. But don't go into this expecting too much and get your hopes up, because it's not all it's cracked up to be.

jiminy.cricket

i just finished out my CP, and ended up staying here and getting a town house with a bunch of my friends from work.

All i have to say is- good luck. It's very difficult working for disney and trying to live on your own. Disney may seem great to you right now.. but trust me when i say after the first few months your opinion on the walt disney company will change. Don't get me wrong- i still LOVE the place. But you just see a lot of things differently and see how cast members are really treated... Sure, most of the people here on the boards are nothing but completely nice to the cast members, but people will go out of their way to make you upset or angry and try to get something out of you and sometimes all you can do is stand there and take it. And then a manager will come, and not defend you. Even though the CM was completely in the right.

good luck. It's one of the most amazing experiences you'll ever endure. But don't go into this expecting too much and get your hopes up, because it's not all it's cracked up to be.
I gotta second the realistic side. There are good and bad points; just go in with an open mind and make sure you have a back-up plan. Basically, don't gamble the farm.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom