Connections Cafe and Eatery

dreday3

I feel pretty much exactly the same. I get why people may not like the current trends toward minimalist design and light colors, even if I personally prefer it to the previous design trends I've lived through since the 1980s. Creations falls into the same basket for me in that I can certainly understand it not being to someone's taste, but MouseGear was certainly not to mine and screamed 1990s. I only have hazy memories of Centorium, but the pictures look very much like a department store of the era in which it was built.

I'm also not minding the symmetry in the naming of Creations and Connections. Mind you, I did love the name Electric Umbrella!

If Connections looks aesthetically similar to Creations, I would put that in the win column as our whole party thought it was really nice when visiting.

My guy kept calling Creations "Sessions" for some reason and now he's calling Connections "Sessions Eatery". 🤣

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Gutting of the building continues.
94B8C6FB-741C-4F17-865F-4961806EF562.jpeg
7448175E-ED76-4044-BDC2-A865536B0AED.jpeg
555CC327-F5DE-4C2F-861C-C0501FA0457C.jpeg

6449B0D9-D6C5-49E2-9098-AA6ECBC28E80.jpeg

mikejs78

Premium Member
They were generic for their time, but the design of the time isn't generic -- it's never really been used outside of that time period. If you see that, you almost have to assume it comes from the late 80s or early 90s.

In my opinion, that's not true with this current design trend. They don't have much that grounds them in any specific era beyond being mostly open, but that's not unique to now. You can find similarly designed spaces 40 years ago (and longer); there were just less of them.

Again, it's not a complaint that Disney did anything wrong. It's just an observation.

That's sort of the hallmark of generic design though. You often don't recognize it as tied to a specific period until that period is past. I suspect that 20-30 years from now, people will look at Creations and Connections, and think that they look very much tied to the 20s.

UNCgolf

That's sort of the hallmark of generic design though. You often don't recognize it as tied to a specific period until that period is past. I suspect that 20-30 years from now, people will look at Creations and Connections, and think that they look very much tied to the 20s.

That's the point I was trying to make -- I don't think this design aesthetic is as tied to a specific era because it doesn't really use anything unique. There have been designs that look like this for 20 years now (the first Apple Store opened in 2001 with a similar aesthetic), and although they're rarer, you can find them much older than that as well. Open concepts aren't especially new or unique.

It doesn't actually matter in terms of Disney and it's not really relevant to the topic anymore, I just don't think there's much that ties this design to a specific era. It could have been built in 2002 just as easily as 2022.

Bocabear

I loved the Electric Umbrella's interior solely for nostalgic reasons -- it was just very much of its time.

That's actually the issue with these current EPCOT designs, though. They are of their time, but the current trend is so bland and generic that I can't imagine it ever inspiring nostalgia. There's nothing unique or memorable about it. This concept art is basically indistinguishable from one of the new McDonald's.

There's nothing wrong with this design, and there's really no theme to go with in this area of EPCOT, so I'm not complaining about the execution. It's not really Disney's fault that the current trend is so boring.
But there was a time when Disney led the trends...They did things that were outrageous and fresh and new...Not matching the local mall or corporate center. We are looking at the original designs of EPCOT Center through the lens of 40 years later....When these things were originally built they were not copies of things we already had in our lives...They were exciting and fresh and new....and a little outrageous...
It is sad that they are not taking risks on their designs but settling for looking like everything else...It is not inspirational and aspirational the way they used to design.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I’ll look back and think it was tied to two jackasses who had no idea how to run theme parks. But maybe that’s just me.

Casper Gutman

Putting aside how corporate-buzzword-esque the name is, it also doesn’t make sense. What does Connections mean in relation to a quick service dining spot? You’re connecting with your food? That’s odd. With the strange family at the table next to you? I hope not.

Ironically, Creations would be a much better name for the restaurant and Connections would make more sense for the store.

mf1972

considering the latest announcement of smaller food portions, i’m betting the portions will be smaller & cost a little more than what was served at the electric umbrella

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
“At Connections Cafe and Eatery, families from all over the world will be reminded how connected we are. They will be able to tell stories to each other and enhance the magical connections they make while sitting down to a meal together. This will happen all while watching their waistlines with our new enhanced menu offerings, featuring meals inspired with stories from all over the world!”

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I have an idea...when this actually opens and there's several photos of this...let's show to random people who never visited the Electric Umbrella so there's no nostalgia and get a general feel of what people think looks better.

UNCgolf

I have an idea...when this actually opens and there's several photos of this...let's show to random people who never visited the Electric Umbrella so there's no nostalgia and get a general feel of what people think looks better.

Probably 99% will think the new one looks better -- maybe a few holdouts who just love late 80s/early 90s design.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom