Connections Cafe and Eatery

Casper Gutman

I said this in the Destination thread, but I think it bears repeating:

With no guiding vision, the future depicted at EPCOT is the one seen from corporate boardrooms and sold by high-priced consultants - the future of buzzwords. Its the future envisioned by some of the most risk-averse, unimaginative members of society. It might as well be "The Synergy Eatery" or "The New Normal Cafe." Its self-satirization.

Fox&Hound

That has to be the most GENERIC DULL boring artwork I've ever seen..
Good god, it's like "how bland can we make this..." Hell they even duplicated one of the jean jacket ladies in it twice.

Also pretty sure that mural in the background there, was lifted right from the Denver airport.
I agree 100%...Barf...I am so sick of these apple-store inspired designs. Disney used to stand for whimsy and fun. Now it is corporate bland.

UNCgolf

I loved the Electric Umbrella's interior solely for nostalgic reasons -- it was just very much of its time.

That's actually the issue with these current EPCOT designs, though. They are of their time, but the current trend is so bland and generic that I can't imagine it ever inspiring nostalgia. There's nothing unique or memorable about it. This concept art is basically indistinguishable from one of the new McDonald's.

There's nothing wrong with this design, and there's really no theme to go with in this area of EPCOT, so I'm not complaining about the execution. It's not really Disney's fault that the current trend is so boring.

Last edited:

Introvert

The concept picture is almost monochromatic . Other than the mural and a few people dressed in pinks and white all other people in the drawing are wearing shades of blue. It makes me blue . Where is the world of color. Where's the diversity of color in their clothes. I can not imagine an imagineer having so little imagination.

britain

This is an area where concept art doesn’t really do the concept justice.

Modern Architecture succeeds or fails on its form and materials. Concept art can really only give you an idea of the form of the place. Whether or not this restaurant has interesting and creative materials cannot be communicated by deliberately loose concept art. Maybe more of a “photo of swatch samples” would do the trick.

They’re going for “Apple Campus Eatery” here. That’s going to look cool or lousy in person depending on the materials they pick.

Casper Gutman

What is the meaningful difference between the "World Celebration" story and the "World Showcase" story?

Do they even know?
World Showcase showcases the world. So you go there and say, "hey, look at the world."

World Celebration celebrates the world. So you go there and say, "hey, remember when we looked at the world? It was cool."

World Nature natures the world. So you go there and say, "hey, remember when EPCOT had a theme?"

James Alucobond

I loved the Electric Umbrella's interior solely for nostalgic reasons -- it was just very much of its time.

That's actually the issue with these current EPCOT designs, though. They are of their time, but the current trend is so bland and generic that I can't imagine it ever inspiring nostalgia. There's nothing unique or memorable about it. This concept art is basically indistinguishable from one of the new McDonald's.

There's nothing wrong with this design, and there's really no theme to go with in this area of EPCOT, so I'm not complaining about the execution. It's not really Disney's fault that the current trend is so boring.
I'm with you in thinking they're both of their particular moment, but I'm not sure I find the current trend "more" bland or generic. The Electric Umbrella was the equivalent of a theater lobby or arcade at the time, just with a talking trash can. Heavily patterned carpets and darker tones aren't inherently less generic.

Sir_Cliff

I'm with you in thinking they're both of their particular moment, but I'm not sure I find the current trend "more" bland or generic. The Electric Umbrella was the equivalent of a theater lobby or arcade at the time, just with a talking trash can. Heavily patterned carpets and darker tones aren't inherently less generic.
I feel pretty much exactly the same. I get why people may not like the current trends toward minimalist design and light colors, even if I personally prefer it to the previous design trends I've lived through since the 1980s. Creations falls into the same basket for me in that I can certainly understand it not being to someone's taste, but MouseGear was certainly not to mine and screamed 1990s. I only have hazy memories of Centorium, but the pictures look very much like a department store of the era in which it was built.

I'm also not minding the symmetry in the naming of Creations and Connections. Mind you, I did love the name Electric Umbrella!

mightynine

No truth to the rumor they are renaming nearby restrooms as “Constipations”.

This is an area where concept art doesn’t really do the concept justice.

Modern Architecture succeeds or fails on its form and materials. Concept art can really only give you an idea of the form of the place. Whether or not this restaurant has interesting and creative materials cannot be communicated by deliberately loose concept art. Maybe more of a “photo of swatch samples” would do the trick.

They’re going for “Apple Campus Eatery” here. That’s going to look cool or lousy in person depending on the materials they pick.

“Photo of swatch samples”? The Zach and the powerful PR team have a 10-part IG series planned for swatch samples alone! I can’t wait for the in-depth look into wood laminate myself.

UNCgolf

They were generic for their time, but the design of the time isn't generic -- it's never really been used outside of that time period. If you see that, you almost have to assume it comes from the late 80s or early 90s.

In my opinion, that's not true with this current design trend. They don't have much that grounds them in any specific era beyond being mostly open, but that's not unique to now. You can find similarly designed spaces 40 years ago (and longer); there were just less of them.

Again, it's not a complaint that Disney did anything wrong. It's just an observation.

Last edited:

UNCgolf

I feel pretty much exactly the same. I get why people may not like the current trends toward minimalist design and light colors, even if I personally prefer it to the previous design trends I've lived through since the 1980s. Creations falls into the same basket for me in that I can certainly understand it not being to someone's taste, but MouseGear was certainly not to mine and screamed 1990s. I only have hazy memories of Centorium, but the pictures look very much like a department store of the era in which it was built.

I'm also not minding the symmetry in the naming of Creations and Connections. Mind you, I did love the name Electric Umbrella!

They were, which was my point. They are grounded in a specific time period, which is what created nostalgia.

I'm not arguing that these designs are bad, or that the earlier designs were better. I just don't think they will ever create that kind of nostalgia, but that has nothing to do with Disney.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom