Connections Cafe and Eatery

gustaftp

"Modern" and "Futuristic" are not interchangeable terms.

Similar to how people often use the words "Modern" and "Contemporary" interchangably, though they too refer to distinct and different styles and time periods. "Futuristic" implies a further distant future than Contemporary reaches for, and Modern lags behind both, representing the mid-to-later 20th Century - ending right about the time that EPCOT Center opened.

Half of the intention of EPCOT Center was to jump forward from that design ethos - to leave Modern behind and leapfrog Contemporary for something yet unseen.

The reason people confuse these with regards to Future World is because so much design took note of EPCOT Center's architectural notions - in defying Contemporary it became an influential basis by which the term was redefined. That so many designers attempted to copy it with their Contemporary works does not make Future World a Contemporary work itself. And it certainly was never Modern.
I know that there is a technical difference, but the reality is that while Spaceship Earth was futuristic, the Communicore buildings were modern. Pleasing, yes, but are they not dissimilar to airport terminal buildings from the same era? IE: Dulles (considered to be the most modern airport in the world when constructed, designed by a man who was considered a “neo-future modernist” — Saarinen)

And at any rate the very bare and basic ceiling tiles in there could hardly ever have been considered futuristic in 1982.

Attachments

• B737CC2E-B8D8-4D28-8F05-C309796973AE.jpeg
    B737CC2E-B8D8-4D28-8F05-C309796973AE.jpeg
    138.5 KB · Views: 93

James Alucobond

“Modern”, “contemporary”, and “futuristic” are always going to be tricky because they have independent adjectival meaning outside of the specific movements that borrow their names. There can be contemporaneous structures that have nothing to do with Contemporary architecture. There can be modern and futuristic buildings that are neither Modern nor Futurist. I try to capitalize when I am referring to the movement specifically because it’s otherwise really difficult to talk about things “of a specific moment” or “of a generally forward-looking design” without using the generic forms of the aforementioned terminology.

Vinnie Mac

Am the only one who wonders how guest would have reacted to all these new additions back in the 80's? Like imagine the SSE lights existing when EPCOT first opened.

Connections would have looked crazy to some folks I'd imagine. Moana probably would have been considered an "EPCOT" character like a sorta educational figure teaching about the journey of water. Not a new edition now but current Test Track would have been WILD to guest back then.

Cmdr_Crimson

There's a great track that plays as part of the Connections Eatery background loop. Have a listen

As someone mentioned previously in this post this is part of the Creations shop Loop..I'm not sure if they are playing this in the former outside sections of the innoventions plaza area..But, I do hope there is plans for a better loop for the neighborhoods down the pipeline rather than these youtube Study mix loops..

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

As someone who used to unironically listen to the Innovations music while studying, I feel conflicted reading this.
Oh I have it at the ready when I need a good pick me up...But, honestly the loop really feels like they just grabbed one like a blind bag and said here's the new loop for Creations..Like this for example..

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Corporation were always secondary to the country pavilions... the 64/65 flipped that. I bet without looking it up you could not name one corporate pavilion from '70.
I don’t even know what your talking about the 64/65, but as far as I know many or all of the pavilions were or still are owned by a third party corporation. Japan is the only one I know of that still is, as for the rest I have no idea. I’m my opinion Japan between the staffing and landscapes is the best one. Norway is now run by Disney isn’t it? Disney just took over Morocco.

aladdin2007

I don’t even know what your talking about the 64/65, but as far as I know many or all of the pavilions were or still are owned by a third party corporation. Japan is the only one I know of that still is, as for the rest I have no idea. I’m my opinion Japan between the staffing and landscapes is the best one. Norway is now run by Disney isn’t it? Disney just took over Morocco.
yep

Rich Brownn

At World's Fairs countries are generally sponsored by the countries. (There are restrictions on WF. WF can't charge rent, can only run a max of 6 months etc.) NY broke the rules, so since it wasn't sanctioned many countries opted to skip it for the official WF in 1970.

Sir_Cliff

"Modern" and "Futuristic" are not interchangeable terms.

Similar to how people often use the words "Modern" and "Contemporary" interchangably, though they too refer to distinct and different styles and time periods. "Futuristic" implies a further distant future than Contemporary reaches for, and Modern lags behind both, representing the mid-to-later 20th Century - ending right about the time that EPCOT Center opened.

Half of the intention of EPCOT Center was to jump forward from that design ethos - to leave Modern behind and leapfrog Contemporary for something yet unseen.

The reason people confuse these with regards to Future World is because so much design took note of EPCOT Center's architectural notions - in defying Contemporary it became an influential basis by which the term was redefined. That so many designers attempted to copy it with their Contemporary works does not make Future World a Contemporary work itself. And it certainly was never Modern.
I know we all love EPCOT Center, but I think you are being far too generous regarding its architectural influence.

I have not seen any evidence that the park was crucial in redefining what contemporary architecture meant, thus reshaping the world around it to look more like the park. For the most part, the reason that a lot of the interior and exterior architecture looks like contemporary architecture from the time is that it was drawing on the same aesthetics of what modern and futuristic meant at the time.

As others have stated more eloquently than I, it is somewhat nebulous what reads as modern, contemporary, or futuristic in architecture. However you define those terms, though, I would like to see evidence that EPCOT Center and facilities like Stargate and Centorium represented some quantum leap that propelled architecture forward into a new era such that they only look like mall architecture from the time in retrospect because malls were reconfigured to look like them.

tcool123

I ate there yesterday with the French Bistro Burger. I have to admit, it was really good and filling - probably the best counter service. And real plates... wonder how long that will last. LOL/
Real plates are becoming a more common thing at Quick Services. As mentioned by @MisterPenguin Satuli has had them for years followed by Docking Bay 7 and ABC Commissary at Hollywood Studios. Regal Eagle I believe does as well or it might just be metal trays. With rising prices of food real plates is an easy way to make the experience feel boujieer than it is. I expect more places to do the same.

MagicHappens1971

Real plates are becoming a more common thing at Quick Services. As mentioned by @MisterPenguin Satuli has had them for years followed by Docking Bay 7 and ABC Commissary at Hollywood Studios. Regal Eagle I believe does as well or it might just be metal trays. With rising prices of food real plates is an easy way to make the experience feel boujieer than it is. I expect more places to do the same.
It also sticks true to Disneys less waste/going green mantra.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom