Connected to the "real world" while at WDW?

gooftroop5

Typically we only use our cell phones to text each other (we are a family of 5 and split up occasionally), send pictures to the grandparents, check wait times, and keep track of our ADRs. As far as TV is concerned we bring Disney movies. We watch those and Stacy and that's it. No news. No news feeds. No social media. If there was a major event my mom would make sure we knew. ;)

I am a teacher and during the summer I run a camp for a non-profit organization. Because I am just "part-time" I just recently got a laptop. In 2012 we spend 15 nights at WDW and I had to lug my DESKTOP computer with me (It had special remote access and programs on it that I needed). It was my fault because we picked a time to vacation when all payments and paperwork were due for the camp. I also had to wrap up staff hiring and training while gone too. NEVER AGAIN! It completely took me out of the bubble of WDW.

My husband and I are lucky because we both have careers in education. We power down during the summer and try to enjoy the time off with our kids. Next trip we will have NO WORK to keep up with. I love being at WDW and being able to disconnect from the real world.

FettFan

Connected to the real world? NO. NO NO NO.

The real world is a terrible place full of terrible people.

My last two trips were in 2011 and 2013...and both times during the weeks of the Casey Anthony and George Zimmerman trials.

And tell me, just WHAT could be more magical than after watching the fireworks, getting back to the hotel and turning on the TV to hear about the decaying body smell in some floosie's trunk or the evening news airheads speculating about how America was on the brink of a race war?

Forget that crap.

The good news is that the hotels surrounding the Disney property also play the continual Disney commercials. "Zip a Dee Doo-Dah Tip for Today" and such...which I am ever thankful for.

That being said...I do keep my iPhone 4s on me in the parks, to keep tabs on my family who might be somewhere else in the parks. But I don't do email. I don't do Facebook. And I don't do news. Fortunately, there are Disney-centric Apps that I can use to find pertinent information (Disney's official app, WDWMagic, and Undercover Tourist) without having to bother with going on to the actual internet. :)

Matt_Black

Facebook and twitter, mainly so I can live-update the Ric Flair quote when I'm in line at Space Mountain. Also, being able to check this board out for any updates while in the park is handy.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
.....we (wife + me) ...both have our own businesses ...so keeping 'connected' is a must. My wife has an at-home Spa Party business ...and I've seen her book numerous parties while waiting in the stand-by lines ...and sitting at a bar at the resort ...or in one of the eating venues. She also needs to coordinate said parties with her employees while we're away .....

....that said ...when it comes to being 'connected' while back at the resort room ....the TV choices are pretty sparse to begin with ...unless you 'need' Stacy ...24/7.

....funny story: At home ...in our bedroom ...the TV is on ALL NIGHT ....because it keeps the dog company (seriously) ...and drowns out some of the outdoor noises that may spook him (like wind or rain on the roof ...which he hates). So ...we go to WDW ...and there is no dog in the room of course ....and turn off the TV as we go to sleep ...and find that WE CAN'T GET TO SLEEP ....because of being accustomed to the TV on ...all night ...for the past 8 years!!!!
Disney resorts now have DirecTV which dramatically increases your options.

gwhb75

This is one of those huge struggles for me. I hate coming back home to a week or two worth of emails to clear. I do my best to stay disconnected, but normally end up checking my emails a few times while away (I'm normally the first one up in the morning so I do it all before anyone else is up).

Susan Savia

We have our annual trips in either January or February and we turn the tv on at night when were back in the roon to catch the weather for the next day. It's come in handy many times! I use my Ipad to catch up with friends at home, send pictures etc about how the trip is going etc.

WDWVolFan

Facebook and twitter, mainly so I can live-update the Ric Flair quote when I'm in line at Space Mountain. Also, being able to check this board out for any updates while in the park is handy.
Found this website after my last trip but I will definitely be checking this board next time I'm at WDW.

Matt

Logan and Olivia's dad
Premium Member
I delete my work email account from my phone whenever we go to WDW. I check personal emails just in case something family related happens, and if I leave my work email active it'll update when I check the personal accounts and I'll be tempted to look.

I'll usually watch ESPN in the morning while the wife is in the shower. As far as other news, though, nope. Completely tune out.

Acolli18

We don't go to extra lengths to avoid these things, but, I've also only upgraded to a smartphone this new year, so I'm sure it'll be different next trip. As far as tv, we always seem to have the Resort channel on all week, only changing it briefly in the mornings for the Weather Channel. We normally spend most of our trip enjoy the trip though, and the "real world" becomes second thought.

We try to avoid TV time while at Disney. There used to be a channel where they showed old Disney cartoons. This was great, but I'm not sure that it is on anymore. Last time I checked, we couldn't find it. Anyway, we try hard to unplug for a week. I'll read the news on my iPad, but emails and voicemails are a "no-no." It's vacation. Keep it that way!

Matt

Logan and Olivia's dad
Premium Member
We try to avoid TV time while at Disney. There used to be a channel where they showed old Disney cartoons. This was great, but I'm not sure that it is on anymore. Last time I checked, we couldn't find it. Anyway, we try hard to unplug for a week. I'll read the news on my iPad, but emails and voicemails are a "no-no." It's vacation. Keep it that way!
We watched that a bit on our last trip in September. I think it was in the teens.

KCheatle

Original Poster

When we went last September, they had this great channel that at night it read a story to the kids on the TV - I can't remember what the channel was, but I think it was the same channel that plays old Disney cartoons all day???

Matt

Logan and Olivia's dad
Premium Member
When we went last September, they had this great channel that at night it read a story to the kids on the TV - I can't remember what the channel was, but I think it was the same channel that plays old Disney cartoons all day???
Same channel, indeed.

ParkMan73

I avoid the real world at all costs. I figure I'm there to enjoy family time, unwind, and enjoy a little magic.

So, I do:
- turn off the work & personal email on my smartphone
- set the out of office to say I won't check emails and I'm not available by phone.
- I don't watch "regular" TV in the hotel room - the Disney channels or the resort channel with the old cartoons are just about right.
- I don't get a newspaper.
- I don't surf the internet - well, maybe I check this forum once or twice :)

I do bring the phone to the parks so the wife & I can split up with the kids if we need to. If someone from work calls I'll be happy to answer it or return a voicemail/text. But beyond that, I'm not hopping on any work conference calls short of a real emergency.

Matt_Black

I do like to check my personal e-mail and also use Facebook and Twitter. I'm also guilty of checking the news back home.

Since my last two trips have been late October and December, I occasionally like to check the weather and have a good laugh. "Snowing? AH-HA-HA-HA-HAAA! I've been wearing a t-shirt all day. Ah."

NutsForFlorida

I usually have my phone with me, but I'm not usually on it. Checking wait times and my banking mostly, just so I don't spend all my money. At night at the hotel, the TV is usually on ESPN or the Disney Parks/Hotel channel. I DVR all my shows before I leave home. That's about it.

Soarin' Over Pgh

One of the things I always aim to do while I'm at WDW is disconnect from the "real world." With the new FP+ and other things that require me to have my smart phone handy, I don't get as much disconnect as I'd like. But, that's neither here nor there. My biggest struggle is when we're in the room at night and the kids go to sleep -- do I watch TV or not?

It's my habit to watch TV at night to fall asleep, but I strongly dislike hearing the news and about all of the bad things in the world when I'm at WDW. I get enough of that at home. Last year, my DH and I decided we would pack some bottles of wine and spend each night out on our patio talking and drinking wine instead of watching TV. It was such a wonderful experience!

Do you try to disconnect when your at WDW?

I want no part of the 'real world' when at DL/WDW or for that matter, any park, anywhere. Last year I left both phone and ipad locked in the room safe.

It seems with FP+ that having at least my ipad with me will be a requirement (unless standing at a kiosk is OK, but lines will be unpredictable) since I don't have (nor want) a smartphone. Which means I then get to worry about keeping the ipad safe while on rides, in bathrooms, eating, etc.

My next Disney trip is, more than likely, going to be at Disneyland where thankfully, this whole FP+ thing is a nonissue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom