Condolences to all our UK members

Sir_Cliff

As an Australian, I will be honest in saying that I am not a monarchist and voted for independence. However, I do have a lot of respect for Queen Elizabeth II in the sense that I think she has done a very difficult job as well as anyone could have and has had to navigate being brought up in the Monarchy when there was a particular notion of how monarchs were supposed to behave and changing social values and expectations of her behaviour, again, as well as anyone probably could have. I also share in the sense that her passing represents the end of an era when, more generally, the whole world seems to be going through a moment of transition to an uncertain future. I guess one thing to keep in mind at this moment is that she was Queen through so many moments of crisis and change and humanity managed to survive, so that is a message of hope at the end of the day.

The Empress Lilly

Perhaps most surreal is seeing the Palace's statement:

"The King"... Though death is inevitable, it is simply surreal to read in such a manner.

It is very much deliberate and political to mention the passing of one heriditary monarch and the accession of the successor in one breath. Proclaim the new monarch before anyone has a chance to voice any objection or present an alternative: 'The king is dead, long live the king!'.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
As an Australian, I will be honest in saying that I am not a monarchist and voted for independence. However, I do have a lot of respect for Queen Elizabeth II in the sense that I think she has done a very difficult job as well as anyone could have and has had to navigate being brought up in the Monarchy when there was a particular notion of how monarchs were supposed to behave and changing social values and expectations of her behaviour, again, as well as anyone probably could have. I also share in the sense that her passing represents the end of an era when, more generally, the whole world seems to be going through a moment of transition to an uncertain future. I guess one thing to keep in mind at this moment is that she was Queen through so many moments of crisis and change and humanity managed to survive, so that is a message of hope at the end of the day.
Very well said

Brian

It is very much deliberate and political to mention the passing of one heriditary monarch and the accession of the successor in one breath. Proclaim the new monarch before anyone has a chance to voice any objection or present an alternative: 'The king is dead, long live the king!'.
I understand. What I meant by the post was that after 70 years on the throne, it is surreal to hear the phrase "The King" from the government of the UK. It will likely take Brits, and the world at large, some time for that to settle in.

Heck, everything from the national anthem to the passports have to change.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand. What I meant by the post was that after 70 years on the throne, it is surreal to hear the phrase "The King" from the government of the UK. It will likely take Brits, and the world at large, some time for that to settle in.

Heck, everything from the national anthem to the passports have to change.
…technically the entire navy changed at 5 pm today

Brian

I'll never forget in the grief and shock of 9/11, as the smoke still filled the skies over Manhattan, Her Majesty ordered the U.S. national anthem played during the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Though I had successfully held back tears since hearing the news of the attacks, it was at this moment that they flowed. Her Majesty was a true and abiding friend to the United States. I will never forget the love and support she sent all of us in the darkest time of most of our lives.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'll never forget in the grief and shock of 9/11, as the smoke still filled the skies over Manhattan, Her Majesty ordered the U.S. national anthem played during the changing of the guard at Buckingham Palace.

Though I had held back tears since hearing the news of the attacks, it was at this moment that they flowed. Her Majesty was a true and abiding friend to the United States. I will never forget the love and support she sent all of us in the darkest time of most of our lives.

You know…that is my most poignant memory from that day as well

…guess who was working a 20 hour shift in an “emergency command center” that day in a certain vacation compound…for context

It was on 9/12/2001…for context. I was trying to remember if it was on 9/11…but that happened around 2pm London time…so it was pure chaos into the evening that day and into the night for Europe.

Last edited:

Lilofan

You know…that is my most poignant memory from that day as well

…guess who was working a 20 hour shift in an “emergency command center” that day in a certain vacation compound…for context
Kudos to all cast whatever role to take care of fellow guests that were stuck in resorts immediately after 9/11. When my family member saw smoke coming out of huge building complex from his nearby office building in Arlington VA that morning, he was the second car flying out of the company parking garage going back home.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Kudos to all cast whatever role to take care of fellow guests that were stuck in resorts immediately after 9/11. When my family member saw smoke coming out of huge building complex from his nearby office building in Arlington VA that morning, he was the second car flying out of the company parking garage going back home.
Lockheed? Raytheon? The Saudi Ministry of Defense?
😎

cgersic

Though I had successfully held back tears since hearing the news of the attacks, it was at this moment that they flowed. Her Majesty was a true and abiding friend to the United States. I will never forget the love and support she sent all of us in the darkest time of most of our lives.

I just cried reading this

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom