Complimentary WiFi Internet access pilot extended to more resorts

BenS

I solve this problem today by using a personal hotspot. But, I'd rather pay a few bucks if I could get better service than the cellular infrastructure can afford.

Hotspot is so much cheaper. Disney charges $10 a day for wired currently, and AT&T charges an extra $20 for the whole month to use hotspot.

Problem is, AT&T sucked for me last time I was in WDW. I could barely make a phone call from my hotel room, much less use the web.

If you have a working provider and a smartphone, I'd recommend using hotspot instead. It's as much as two days of wired service, uses wifi, and is included with most new phones. (Including all iPhone 4's, and many new Android phones.)

tirian

It'll not be long before its available at all resorts and in the parks restaurants etc

Due to the multiple signals constantly being sent throughout the resort, the company has trouble maintaining its own private WiFi networks on property. They'd have to invest millions in infrastructure to provide this for Guests, too... ;)

////// speculation alert ///////
From what I've heard, the WiFi access is part of the multi-billion-dollar price tag for Next Gen. Because Guests will need reliable access to the network from their smart phones, the resorts will need to offer WiFi hotspots.

penfold12

Another thing to think of is international guests......

WDW receives a large portion of international guests. Without Wi Fi or internet connection, its cost prohibitive to go online.

Last October, I was at WDW and tried to stay off the net on my Iphone, but still had a £300 ($450) data bill when I got home.

Seeing as such a large portion of guests are international this should be offered as standard in the Deluxe resorts at least.

In an ideal world, resort over....

MAF

IMO just like free cable tv in all rooms, Wi-Fi should come standard as well. I honestly believe that sometime in the future that will be a reality. I won't hold my breath that it will come anytime soon though.

SFMarine

Anybody know how long this will be? I'll be there in mid May and could see myself "needing" this, but who knows.

+1..I will be @ Disney around the end of May as well. It will be nice to upload a few of my pics to my Flickr account. Hopefully the free wifi will still be in service but I doubt it. :brick:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
////// speculation alert ///////
From what I've heard, the WiFi access is part of the multi-billion-dollar price tag for Next Gen. Because Guests will need reliable access to the network from their smart phones, the resorts will need to offer WiFi hotspots.

Sounds very plausible.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Another thing to think of is international guests......

WDW receives a large portion of international guests. Without Wi Fi or internet connection, its cost prohibitive to go online.

Last October, I was at WDW and tried to stay off the net on my Iphone, but still had a £300 ($450) data bill when I got home.

Seeing as such a large portion of guests are international this should be offered as standard in the Deluxe resorts at least.

In an ideal world, resort over....

Good lord. Those roaming data fees are just ridiculous.

I do agree though, it is very difficult for international guests to get any internet access on todays WiFi only devices.

dxwwf3

As said before, in 2011, having free internet access is just as desirable, if not more, than having cable TV in the room. Hopefully this will continue to expand to all resorts.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom