Complimentary WiFi Internet access pilot extended to more resorts

maxairmike

Glad to see they're expanding this. Hopefully it eventually becomes the norm across the resort. I'm guessing this pilot is the result of realizing that business users (who would pay for internet access) are starting to be out-numbered by "normal" guests that won't pay to upload their pictures to Facebook and tell their friends how much fun they're having. Since Disney "owns" that infrastructure, it is probably even cheaper to provide that service than for your average Holiday Inn/Comfort Suites/etc.

PurpleDragon

I'm sure Disney will continue with the testing of this idea, I think they're finally catching on that this generation is the internet generation and has to be connected 24/7. So to offer a wifi internet connection all across property would not be all that hard, they have the infrastructure to do it, it will just take some time to do.

Also they could setup intraweb pages with live updates on park schedules and ride times that would only be accessible thru their Wifi connection. Would be a smart move on their part and would give them a leg up on the competition as far as making for a more enjoyable guest experience.

britdaw

Personally, I think it's a little rediculous that you should have to pay for internet at all when you're there. Disney makes enough money and you certainly pay enough to go on vacation there that they can afford to offer that service to their guests.

stewdog1

Personally, I think it's a little rediculous that you should have to pay for internet at all when you're there. Disney makes enough money and you certainly pay enough to go on vacation there that they can afford to offer that service to their guests.

Just as ridiculous as Hilton hotels. Some Hiltons (Hilton, Embassy) you have to pay for internet access. Other Hiltons (Garden Inn, Homewood Suites) it is free.

And it usually costs more to stay at a Hilton or Embassy.

WDWFigment

I can't see free internet becoming the norm at WDW. People who truly need it will pay for it, and people who don't need it probably won't--and instead, will spend more time outside of their rooms, where they potentially bring Disney more revenue.

It's tough to measure, but from Disney's perspective, determining whether it should offer free internet is simple: Revenue gained by charging for internet + revenue gained by not offering free internet (getting people out spending money) - revenue lost by charging for internet (people staying off-site). I'm sure there are some other minor things, like business goodwill, but that's basically it. The thing is, how on earth do you measure "getting people out spending money." Can you reasonably predict how much money is lost due to people using free internet?

JustInTime

At the end of the night, I enjoy uploading my photos as soon as I am done with the park that day. So this would be a welcome change for sure.

Tom

Beta Return
If they went global with this, I'd be a huge fan. We stay mostly using our DVC points, so the internet is free, but it's still cumbersome since I have to hunt around the room to find the poorly placed network jack. I want to sit on the couch and use the laptop, not tethered to the end table or corner of the bedroom (solution - we take our own wireless router and set it up in the room).

Focusing on guest rooms is smart, in my opinion. No need to put it in the lobbies except perhaps at convention hotels. Limit the range to the rooms and make it free. If they lose revenue at the parks because people are staying in their rooms to use the internet...well...that would be a seriously sad reflection of our society.

I hope the pilot generates positive results....and I can't see how it wouldn't. Who's going to take their survey and say, "I hated the FREE INTERNET. Bring back the $10/night hard-wired version!"

lazyboy97o

I can't see free internet becoming the norm at WDW. People who truly need it will pay for it, and people who don't need it probably won't--and instead, will spend more time outside of their rooms, where they potentially bring Disney more revenue.

It's tough to measure, but from Disney's perspective, determining whether it should offer free internet is simple: Revenue gained by charging for internet + revenue gained by not offering free internet (getting people out spending money) - revenue lost by charging for internet (people staying off-site). I'm sure there are some other minor things, like business goodwill, but that's basically it. The thing is, how on earth do you measure "getting people out spending money." Can you reasonably predict how much money is lost due to people using free internet?
Or it could keep people in their rooms at night instead of wandering off property. That's what might happen with me on some nights if I were staying on property.

GrumpyFan

While I think it's great they're doing this, and about 2-3 late, I have to wonder if the Value resorts will get it. I could see them putting it in at the main buildings and especially where the food courts are, but not in ALL the buildings for the rooms.

britdaw

At the end of the night, I enjoy uploading my photos as soon as I am done with the park that day. So this would be a welcome change for sure.

Yeah, definitely... And I am a full-time college student who will need to be able to do some homework while we're gone on our trip. It already sucks that I'll have to do homework, but if I have to pay to access the internet to do that homework, it will suck even more.

RonAnnArbor

All I can say is, it's about time -- I would happily PAY for wifi in my hotel rooms at WDW...it was a prominent question on the questionnaires I got from Disney last fall, glad to see they are finally looking at it.

Not having wifi available (even for pay) puts WDW back into the mid-naughts, rather than 2011...especially since almost all of the off-property hotels now have wifi available....

TravisMT81

Glad to see they're expanding this. Hopefully it eventually becomes the norm across the resort. I'm guessing this pilot is the result of realizing that business users (who would pay for internet access) are starting to be out-numbered by "normal" guests that won't pay to upload their pictures to Facebook and tell their friends how much fun they're having. Since Disney "owns" that infrastructure, it is probably even cheaper to provide that service than for your average Holiday Inn/Comfort Suites/etc.

They do not own it, it was installed and paid by smart city telecom.

maxairmike

Hmmm...I was under the impression that SmartCity was associated with/owned in part by (at the very least) Disney as far as their operations in Florida are concerned. It appears that the only place SmartCity acts as a true telecom is within the RCID. Outside of that, it appears to merely be a reseller of internet access in convention/hotel/sports locations.

Upon further investigation, it looks like my original statement may have been correct in its overall claim, but not as far as corporate names are concerned. Look up Vista-United Telecommunications. It was a privately created company by Disney to provide telecom services to all of Disney's planned communities (the external DVCs, Celebration, LLB). There is very little chance there is much in the way of new infrastructure laid at the cost of SmartCity, who purchased Vista-United in 2001.

NoChesterHester

Just as ridiculous as Hilton hotels. Some Hiltons (Hilton, Embassy) you have to pay for internet access. Other Hiltons (Garden Inn, Homewood Suites) it is free.

And it usually costs more to stay at a Hilton or Embassy.

I've always found it ironic that the more expensive the hotel, the less things that are included. Stay at a Holiday Inn and get free wifi and complimentary bottled water. Stay at a W and the Internet is $14.95 a day and a bottle of water costs you six bucks.

For Disney it would make sense for them to start implementing resort wide wireless. There are a lot of advantages not only from a guest satisfaction standpoint, but also operationally. I can picture some next gen stuff really being dependent on a park wide wifi network. Cool possibilites.

Brian Noble

Prediction: they are doing these roll-outs to test load/provisioning/etc. Once they understand the logistics, it will be rolled out on a broader scale, but will NOT be free. (Why not? Because Mickey hates leaving money on the table.)

The problem of wired vs. wireless access is very real---too many devices now don't have wired access at all. But, there's no chance in Hades of Disney giving this away when they don't have to, and it's not like people will stay offsite instead because the internet is free.

I solve this problem today by using a personal hotspot. But, I'd rather pay a few bucks if I could get better service than the cellular infrastructure can afford.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom