Trip Report *Completed* We Got No Troubles, Life Is The Bubbles, Down at Disney

Hi Everyone! Welcome to my first ever trip report. I discovered this site about a year ago and have been reading trip reports ever since. I hope you enjoy following along with mine.

The Cast:

DH Paul and me, Lisa

DS Adam and DSGF Kara
They graduated from high school in May and will be attending the University of Kentucky this fall.
"What Team?"
"Wildcats!"
Sorry, couldn't resist the High School Musical reference!

DD Allie and DDF (DD friend) Sarah
Allie takes awesome photos and I plan to use lots of her pictures in my report.

When? July 13-21, 2014
Where? Disney's Wilderness Lodge
Why? Our 25th Anniversary and Family Vacation

Day 1
July 13, 2014
We usually take 2 days to drive to WDW. Since we had extra people with us on this trip and would need 2 hotel rooms, we decided to save the hotel money and do the drive in one day.
We planned to leave our home in Cincinnati at midnight, but Paul and I had last minute packing to finish and Kara and Sarah both forgot things that had to be picked up from their homes.

Allie decorated the van for the trip!

We took a quick selfie and we finally hit the road about 1 am. Sorry for the crappy photo quality, but I had to include it!

I thought it would be fun to pass out little treats themed to each state we would drive through on the way to Florida. One thing came to mind when I thought about items produced in Kentucky, unfortunately I didn't think bourbon was appropriate for all members of our group.

Luckily I found an alternative at the UK campus bookstore!

The next state was Tennessee. Moon Pies are made in Chattanooga!

Next up was Georgia. I debated between peaches and peanuts and finally decided on

Peanut M&Ms!!

PALM TREES!!! We finally made it to Florida! We stopped at the Florida Welcome Center for free orange juice.

The next several hours dragged by. Disney should invent some form of magical transportation that whisks you to WDW as soon as you cross the Florida state line!

Finally, we saw this beautiful sight!

We couldn't believe we were finally here!

Minutes later the excitement reached a new level as we saw this…..

One last turn and we had reached our home for the week…..

Disney's Wilderness Lodge

Up next, exploring the Wilderness Lodge!

Last edited:

Doc Disney

That same thing happened to us with the squishing of people on the Safari and families getting separated. We had a kid (more like young adult) have to sit with us instead of his family its so weird I don't know why they keep doing it like that! Also glad you finally went to Chefs de France but I tend to agree with you about the Mac and Cheese :) (yet I ordered it twice! haha) The soup is amazing though!

mrdrift

What an exciting trip report you have going on hear! The pictures a really great and you a wonderful looking family. Were exactly can we find the spiked dole whips for future reference? Glad the anniversary dinner turned out perfect. Following along.

dancingtodisney

Loving your TR! The shelfie moment is adorable!

I'm so excited to eat at chef de France for the first time on our next trip, your pictures have convinced me even more...

Fingers crossed you make it to MK! :)

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I think they only bring out Remy during Lunch.
Thanks, I will have to check that out.

Remy is no longer there at lunch :(

Thanks for letting us know. :( The other post got my hopes up.

Not lunch either? Wow what a bummer :(

Too bad :(. We'll have to keep hoping they will bring him back!

That same thing happened to us with the squishing of people on the Safari and families getting separated. We had a kid (more like young adult) have to sit with us instead of his family its so weird I don't know why they keep doing it like that! Also glad you finally went to Chefs de France but I tend to agree with you about the Mac and Cheese :) (yet I ordered it twice! haha) The soup is amazing though!

We were not very happy with the CM who directed us to our rows on the safari. We all got to ride together later in the week, so it wasn't the disaster I initially feared it would be. I know they want to fill the ride vehicles to capacity if possible to keep the lines moving, but it is weird to ride with another group when you aren't in a single rider line. Next time we go to Chefs de France I will skip the mac and cheese and eat more, bread, soup and dessert!!

LOVE the new updates! I can't wait to try a spiked Dole Whip and the pics of you and hubby on the way to dinner are so cute!

Thanks! The spiked Dole Whip was one of the highlights of my trip. Check the post below for more info relating to the Dole Whips.

What an exciting trip report you have going on hear! The pictures a really great and you a wonderful looking family. Were exactly can we find the spiked dole whips for future reference? Glad the anniversary dinner turned out perfect. Following along.

Thanks for the compliments on the pictures and the family. I think my family is pretty wonderful and we had a great trip!
You can find the spiked Dole Whips at Tamu Tamu Refreshments in the Africa section of AK. I checked the map and it is the first building on the right after you cross the bridge from Discovery Island in to Africa. Also, the Dole Whips are NOT listed on the regular menu. They are listed on small signs, they almost looked like picture frames, that are standing on the counter where you order. If you are not really looking for them you could easily miss them. I almost did. I didn't see them on the menu, but I was pretty sure I'd read that you could find them at Tamu Tamu. The line was short, so I got in line to ask where to find them and then I saw the sign. Hope that helps you find them! Thanks for following!

wow the creme brulee looks amazing!

It is one of my favorites and it WAS amazing!

Loving your TR! The shelfie moment is adorable!

I'm so excited to eat at chef de France for the first time on our next trip, your pictures have convinced me even more...

Fingers crossed you make it to MK! :)

Thanks for reading. I enjoyed reading your trip report. The shelfie story is one of our favorites from the trip. Hope you get to eat at Chefs de France. I think you will really enjoy it. Stay tuned to see if we make it back to MK. I am trying to finish that post but real life keeps getting in the way!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
So, Paul and I had just finished our anniversary dinner and were headed back to WL when it started to rain. When we got back to the lodge, the girls were all ready to go to MK. Adam not so much! He was not excited about going back out in the rain. Especially because it had started to thunder and lightning which meant no boats. We would have to drive to the TTC and take the monorail over. The girls were up for the adventure, but the boys decided to stay and hang out at the lodge.

Here is Kara in her UK poncho, ready for a girls night out at MK!

We headed out to the car and were at the MK parking lot in no time. Of course a tram was pulling away just as we pulled in to our parking space, so we would have to wait. We ended up waiting for about 10 minutes. We made it to the TTC and got on the monorail. Kara and Sarah were excited for their first ride on the monorail. They loved it! Once we got to MK we headed straight for Sleepy Hollow for fruit and nutella waffle sandwiches. Kara and Sarah had heard us talking about them and they both wanted to try them. Kara, Allie and Sarah also wanted a strawberry lemonade slush from Pecos Bills. I sent Allie and Sarah to Pecos Bills to get slushies for all 3 girls and Kara and I waited in the long line at Sleepy Hollow. The rain was slowing down, so we got to see Celebrate the Magic while we waited. Allie and Sarah returned with the slushies so we sat down to enjoy our snack. Sadly I don't have a picture. We enjoyed every last bite of those delicious waffles!!

Now we were ready for some fun. We still hadn't ridden Pirates of the Caribbean so we headed over there. This time it was open! Both Kara and Sarah loved it! Kara was amazed at all the details and loved how Captain Jack Sparrow looked so life-like. Kara really wanted to ride Space Mountain again, so we headed to Tomorrowland. On our way to Space Mountain we decided to help Buzz Lightyear defeat the evil Emperor Zurg.

After our spin with Buzz we headed for Space Mountain. Stand by time posted was 15 minutes. We were on in about 5. Allie's friend Natalie has a pose she does a lot. Natalie loves Disney, so we decided to pose like Natalie for our Space Mountain photo.
We got off SM at 11:56. We really wanted to ride Voyage of the Little Mermaid again, so we power walked over to New Fantasyland. When we got to Little Mermaid there were 2 CMs standing at the beginning of the queue. I asked if we were too late and the CMs said we should go right in. We walked right on. It was awesome because we were the only people on the ride! We loved being the last people to ride that night.
As we exited the Little Mermaid, we saw a photo pass photographer in front of Prince Eric's castle. We asked if he was still open for business and he said that he was. He had us all laughing and asked us to do some fun poses. I think these photos really show how much fun we were having that night.
GIrls just wanna have fun!

Attitude!

So excited!

A CM was following us out of New Fantasyland and he told us that that photo pass photographer was the most popular photographer in the park. The CM said that all the princesses love him because he makes them laugh. We could see why. He was awesome and I wish I'd gotten his name to thank him.

When we reached Main Street we decided we needed a photo in front of the castle to commemorate the evening.
After our photo we decided it was time for some shopping! We were in the Emporium when I heard the music for the Kiss Goodnight. I did not want Kara and Sarah to miss seeing the Kiss Goodnight, so I snatched the merchandise out of their hands and practically pushed them out in to Main Street and said, "It's the Kiss Goodnight. You have to see this. Go out in the street and look at the castle!" I think they thought I was crazy :rolleyes: !! I really wanted to watch with them, but I was afraid they were going to start closing the doors to the Emporium and I didn't want them to lose the gifts they had taken so much care to select, so I stayed inside and listened from the doorway. I teared up just listening to it. So glad they got to see it!! After we paid for our purchases we headed out of MK. The monorail wasn't running so we had to take the Ferry to the TTC. That actually worked out well because the girls got to ride all of the different types of transportation around the MK.
I took a few night time shots from the ferry. This is the only one I liked enough to post.

Still having fun!

Yet, minutes later….

Sleepy on the tram

Funny story from the tram. As we got to the parking lot the CM announced that our stop in (I think) Peter Pan was the last stop for the tram ride. The people behind us started freaking out because they were not parked in Peter Pan and how were they going to get to their car, etc. The CM heard them and asked where they parked. I can't remember where they said they were parked, but it was in the "villains" section of the lot and the tram we were on only went to the "heroes" lot. The CM said that if they stayed on the tram they would take them back to the TTC and they could switch to the "villains" tram. As we were getting off the tram some other people were flagging down the tram. Apparently they were parked in the villains lot, too. So they boarded with the other family and headed back to the TTC.
When we got off the tram this is what we saw…

Yep, our van was pretty lonely out there. We pretty much shut the place down and loved every minute of our girl's night out!!

Coming up: Sleep in day, Kona, and Epcot!

dancingtodisney

Yah you made it to MK! Girls night out looks like so much fun, I don't know how but I have never seen the kiss goodnight in fact I'm still not even really sure what it is! It's amazing that you can go to Disney so many times and still miss out on things! Added to the list for our October trip! :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
@LisaBelle, you do know there is also a direct bus from WL to MK? The ride time is less than 5 minutes. Though not as scenic as the boat, we often ride the bus since it is so much faster.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Yah you made it to MK! Girls night out looks like so much fun, I don't know how but I have never seen the kiss goodnight in fact I'm still not even really sure what it is! It's amazing that you can go to Disney so many times and still miss out on things! Added to the list for our October trip! :)

We really had a great time on our girls night out. I know what you mean about going to Disney many times and still missing out on things. There are quite a few things we've never done, but still want to do. We now have so many favorite things that it is hard to squeeze in new things, too. The good news about that is that it always gives us another reason to go back, as if I actually "needed" a reason ;)! Kiss good night is a sweet ending to a day at MK. I am a big sap and it always makes me cry. I am pretty sure there are youtube videos of it out there if you want to check those out before October. Or you can wait and be surprised!

@LisaBelle, you do know there is also a direct bus from WL to MK? The ride time is less than 5 minutes. Though not as scenic as the boat, we often ride the bus since it is so much faster.

Yes, I did know about the bus. When I read your reply I thought, "Why didn't I think of that?" I remembered that when we were discussing how to get to MK in a thunderstorm I mentioned the bus, but then Allie asked if we could ride the monorail to get there. Once Kara and Sarah heard that there was a way to ride the monorail that was what they wanted to do. It took a little longer, but they got what turned out to be their only ride on the monorail.
:) Thanks for mentioning the bus. It's important for people who've never stayed at WL to know that that is an option if you don't have a car!

mickeysshoes

WOW! What a great report so far. Would have never know it was your first go at it. I left right at home when you said you made the last right turn.....oh to back in WDW (116 day, I can make it). Happy Anniversary to you and congrats to the kids! Looks like fun is being had by all. Cant wait to be apart of the rest of the trip!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Yes, I did know about the bus. When I read your reply I thought, "Why didn't I think of that?" I remembered that when we were discussing how to get to MK in a thunderstorm I mentioned the bus, but then Allie asked if we could ride the monorail to get there. Once Kara and Sarah heard that there was a way to ride the monorail that was what they wanted to do. It took a little longer, but they got what turned out to be their only ride on the monorail.:) Thanks for mentioning the bus. It's important for people who've never stayed at WL to know that that is an option if you don't have a car!
Figured there had to be a reason you did not take the bus ;). I just felt sorry for the sleepyheads on the tram!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Great TR! Thanks for the share! Makes me even wanna go more and more next October :)
Thanks for reading. Your trip is getting closer. We'll be reading your TR soon! Just started reading about your trip to DLP to ride the new Ratatouille ride. Looks so fun!

WOW! What a great report so far. Would have never know it was your first go at it. I left right at home when you said you made the last right turn.....oh to back in WDW (116 day, I can make it). Happy Anniversary to you and congrats to the kids! Looks like fun is being had by all. Cant wait to be apart of the rest of the trip!

Thanks for the well wishes. Glad you are enjoying the report. It is really fun to relive the trip. Have fun counting down to your trip. You will be in double digits before you know it.

Figured there had to be a reason you did not take the bus ;). I just felt sorry for the sleepyheads on the tram!

They were very cute sleepyheads!

Great trip report, thanks for sharing!

Thanks for reading. Lots more to come.

Great anniversary report, and love your girl's night out!

Thanks! Our girl's night out was one of my favorite parts of the trip.

Girls night sounded like a great time. Glad you girls went instead of staying with the boys! :)

Girls night is one of my favorite memories of our trip. We were extremely glad that we went without the boys. A little rain couldn't keep us down!

Mom@disney

Just caught up! Great report so far and Happy Anniversary! That was great you got to spend some girl time in the MK. We( my DH, 2 DD, and I ) will be staying at Wilderness Lodge on our next trip. Any Tips you can pass my way...especially about room selection and transportation.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
I realized that I forgot to post 2 of my favorite photos from our girl's night out. Here they are:

Let us out!!!

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Today was our sleep in day. Paul and I had a 10:30 breakfast ADR at Kona and we planned to let the teenagers sleep in until noon! Then we were going to let them grab a snack at Roaring Fork and head to Epcot for a tour of World Showcase.
Paul stayed at the Polynesian with his family when he was in high school, but I had never been there. Even though it was under construction I was excited to visit the Poly for the first time. But if I am being totally honest, I was most excited about finally trying Tonga Toast:hungry:! I have drooled over many a trip report with photos of Tonga Toast. The funny thing is, I do not eat bananas, but I had read about other members who didn't like bananas but loved Tonga Toast. I simply had to try it!
Paul and I slept in until about 9 and drove over to the Poly about 10:15. It was a beautiful sunny morning. Even with all the construction going on I could see the appeal of the Poly. It really is a beautiful setting. We wandered around for a few minutes and then headed to Kona to check in.

We were seated in under 5 minutes. Our servers were Elizabeth and Jess. Jess was earning her ears. They were awesome and took great care of us. I knew what I wanted without even glancing at the menu, but Paul had no idea. I told him that I'd read great things about the Samoan and the Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes. After much deliberation he finally decided to go with the Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes. We were both in the mood for coffee so we ordered a pressed pot. So worth the money!! I also ordered Liliko'i Juice. OMG delicious! Here are pictures of my tonga toast without strawberry compote and with strawberry compote.

Here is the Liliko'i Juice. I want some right now!!!!

Here are Paul's Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes

I LOVED the Tonga Toast! Especially with the strawberry compote. The bananas didn't bother me a bit! Paul liked it too, but I think I liked it better than he did. We both thought the Pineapple Macadamia Nut Pancakes were fantastic! They were huge and he made a valiant effort, but Paul couldn't finish them. I tried, but could not finish the Tonga Toast. I was stuffed!
While we were eating, we looked out the window and noticed that it had started storming again! We were crossing our fingers that the rain would go away before we headed for Epcot that afternoon. We wandered around the Poly some more waiting for the rain to slow down and finally headed back to WL to wake the hibernating teenagers.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Just caught up! Great report so far and Happy Anniversary! That was great you got to spend some girl time in the MK. We( my DH, 2 DD, and I ) will be staying at Wilderness Lodge on our next trip. Any Tips you can pass my way...especially about room selection and transportation.

Thanks so much for reading. Glad you are enjoying it. You will love the Wilderness Lodge! As far as transportation we have always had a car when we've stayed at WL. So we usually drive to Epcot, HS and AK. It's an easy drive to all of them. We usually take the boat to MK. We have also taken the boat to MK and then taken the monorail to Epcot from there. I don't have any experience with the buses at WL, but I talked to several other families while we were there and they had been happy with the bus transportation. As far as room selection we usually request a woods view. The first time we stayed at WL we were on the first floor and had a patio that looked out at some trees and the WL villas. The kids loved sitting out on the patio, especially because there were lots of Disney bunnies hopping around. It was very peaceful. The last two trips the woods view overlooked a small pond with trees. We could see, but not hear Wishes while we were on the balcony. We were on the 4th floor. I think there are 6 regular (not club level) floors, if you really want to be able to see Wishes with a less obstructed view I would request a woods view room facing Magic Kingdom on the 6th floor. We were in 4026 and 4028 so 6026 and 6028 would probably have a pretty good view. We could also see the Contemporary. It was cool to watch the monorail going in and out of the Contemporary. We enjoy eating at the quick service Roaring Fork. We feel like there is a good variety and it is super convenient. It does get crowded. We've also eaten at Whispering Canyon Cafe. It is a hoot! They have stick horse races and it is loud and boisterous! Pool is great. There is a slide. Lots of games and activities for the kids at the pool in the afternoon. They show movies on the beach every night. They also have a campfire where they roast S'mores. You can watch the Electrical Water Pageant from the beach. Hope that helps!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom