Trip Report **COMPLETED** The Story of Two Nuts Who Decided to Go to Disney for NYE

Who?
The two nuts - my Mom (Mary) and myself (Megan)
IMG_9860.JPG

Where?
The Contemporary - strategically picked to help us survive the New Years crowds :)

When?
December 28, 2018 - January 2, 2019

Why?
For New Years! We had been to Disney once before for New Years which is the reason for the title :) On our first time there for New Years we had no clue it would be crowded but this time we willingly went for New Years well knowing the crowds would be awful! We are NUTS!

What to expect?
Slow moving days, a lot of pictures of crowds, a LOT of phone pictures (I did not film this trip so I got lazy and most days did not even carry my good camera :facepalm: - helped me manage the crowds), and a pretty big purchase :)

Day 1 - December 28, 2018
I had to work but was able to start my day a bit earlier so that I could make it to my flight on time :) My parents drove me to work and picked me up so we could head right to the airport. I was stressed (especially after last trip) that the weather would be bad but it was actually 45 degrees at home - unseasonably warm! We had to take our usual date signs at the airport :)
DSC_0576.JPG

DSC_0579.JPG

As usual we made it though check in and security very quickly and we headed to get some food at Anchor Bar.
Z1drKy7oTAmTIOGRJ1n4tA.jpg
+wchtI31SpiJD68q2JeBug.jpg

We shared a quesadilla and boneless wings. Both things were delicious!
2UXCGkPwSQK1bFaYF3m6jw.jpg

kLQ%hAFvQwi0SBw9Qmoz4g.jpg

After eating we headed to our gate :)
IMG_0761.JPG

Kf1R+oDKQYa7wBO53Jcn6Q.jpg

cIDcO36mRJSTNqPSW6hLzg.jpg

Next up: more travel randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
We were at HS in December and I loved, loved the old fashioned Christmas decorations! I had forgotten about the thin, silvery tinsel which was all you could get back then. I loved how they surrounded everything with the silver tinsel and some gold too. It brought back childhood memories. Whoops, I mean garland, not tinsel, sorry about that. Although we did have silver tinsel for the tree. Looks like you two had fun even with the horrendous crowds. Can't wait to hear how the DVC tour went.

I agree!! I love the old school decorations!!!

ugh! I was hoping to see an update when I got out of work! you've got me on the edge of my phone here @Doc Disney

Sorry....

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
**warning super wordy post **

So we headed to meet up with our good friend Kyle and he took us backstage to get to our van. He confirmed our suspicion about the blue building being Aerosmith and showed us the tunnel where you take off! Kyle told us that just a few days before he saw Luke Bryan backstage :joyfull: There were a lot of people back there but no one famous that I could see - just those VIP tour people eating snacks :hilarious:
Our van driver's name was George and he was negative Nelly about everything. He was non stop complaining about everything that used to be at the parks but isn't anymore :facepalm:
We got dropped off by Mr. Pleasant at the DVC part of Polynesian and we were greeted by someone else who brought us to a room (aka a hotel room made into an office) to meet with a DVC representative. It was a little awkward at first but Marcel (the DVC guy) was really nice. They essentially ask you a bunch of questions to see if you would even benefit from DVC. It was super low pressure and very informative.
IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0989.JPG

I texted @sheriffwoody before I even went on the tour to say I was scared I would buy it and she told me to stay strong :joyfull:
Anyway, after the whole presentation Marcel showed us a Poly studio to get an idea, showed us the price for points and left so we could discuss it. I went into the presentation already knowing I wanted DVC so this kind of confirmed it for me. I was suprised when my Mom said she thought it was a good idea too and she thought things would work out for me this day. I called my sister Betta - who is the most financially savvy (besides my Dad) and doesn't spend money on everything like I do - and she said I should do it and said she feels like she should look into it now too.
So that was it....they were offering full contracts only for Copper Creek and Aluani so I chose Copper Creek (obviously ... not even manageable to go to Hawaii more than once in my life :joyfull:). Before we even got in there and knew the choices we talked about how we would like Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge so that was perfect! They could offer me a BLT contract but it would have been a shorter one and they couldn't give me the end of year discount that they were offering for Copper Creek. Not like we can't stay at BLT or add points there :)
Anyway like I said they were super non pushy and even when I agreed they were super supportive about it - giving all sorts of payment options and suggesting the amount of points I should start with.
I signed a bunch of paperwork and soon enough we were on our way! It was nuts. I felt bad because we were inside on a beautiful day for almost 3 hours but my Mom promised me she did not mind - especially since it will benefit her too :hilarious:
My Mom took this picture and pretended it was Mickey saying he took all my money :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
IMG_1048.JPG

:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
IMG_1049.JPG

My Mom is making a zero sign since she did not buy anything :joyfull:
IMG_0991.JPG

IMG_1046.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

I still can not believe I did it! I dont think it has hit me yet :inlove:
Our van eventually showed up to take us back to the Contemporary
This van driver was no more pleasant than George - weird .
IMG_0998.JPG

Next up: more randomness

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Day 2 continued
Back at the Contemporary I felt like I was in a bit of shock :joyfull:
We wandered around and ended up at the pool to sit in the sun. I was actually missing a Bills home game and missed my sister Facetiming me when they won because I left my phone upstairs :happy:
DSC_0742.JPG

DSC_0743.JPG

DSC_0744.JPG

Ok...I don't know if anyone else has ever seen the CM named Cory who does the pool side activities. I truly did not think he still worked there because I assumed he was a college program CM but I heard his voice and knew immediately it was him. The summer of 2017 when my Mom and I practically lived in Disney we saw him at every resort that we stayed it. He is memorable because he is a super great dancer and has the whole single ladies routine down - which he did indeed dance for us :joyfull:
DSC_0746.JPG

DSC_0747.JPG

Anyway after we relaxed we headed to get ready for dinner
DSC_0748.JPG

DSC_0749.JPG

IMG_0999.JPG

IMG_1003.JPG

IMG_1005.JPG

Next up: dinner

DisSplash

I have DVC envy now! 😄 Although, to be honest, I thought you already were DVC since you get to go so often. So, how soon until you get to use your membership benefits? I love WL, although I don’t think I’ve seen the new Copper Creek units ... they must be so nice!

Congrats to you - and your mom, who is a most awesome Disney buddy! And she is right about Mickey - I’d smile all darn day if people gave me their money too! 😂

MickeyCB

Day 2 continued
**warning super wordy post **

So we headed to meet up with our good friend Kyle and he took us backstage to get to our van. He confirmed our suspicion about the blue building being Aerosmith and showed us the tunnel where you take off! Kyle told us that just a few days before he saw Luke Bryan backstage :joyfull: There were a lot of people back there but no one famous that I could see - just those VIP tour people eating snacks :hilarious:
Our van driver's name was George and he was negative Nelly about everything. He was non stop complaining about everything that used to be at the parks but isn't anymore :facepalm:
We got dropped off by Mr. Pleasant at the DVC part of Polynesian and we were greeted by someone else who brought us to a room (aka a hotel room made into an office) to meet with a DVC representative. It was a little awkward at first but Marcel (the DVC guy) was really nice. They essentially ask you a bunch of questions to see if you would even benefit from DVC. It was super low pressure and very informative.
View attachment 340562
View attachment 340563
View attachment 340564
I texted @sheriffwoody before I even went on the tour to say I was scared I would buy it and she told me to stay strong :joyfull:
Anyway, after the whole presentation Marcel showed us a Poly studio to get an idea, showed us the price for points and left so we could discuss it. I went into the presentation already knowing I wanted DVC so this kind of confirmed it for me. I was suprised when my Mom said she thought it was a good idea too and she thought things would work out for me this day. I called my sister Betta - who is the most financially savvy (besides my Dad) and doesn't spend money on everything like I do - and she said I should do it and said she feels like she should look into it now too.
So that was it....they were offering full contracts only for Copper Creek and Aluani so I chose Copper Creek (obviously ... not even manageable to go to Hawaii more than once in my life :joyfull:). Before we even got in there and knew the choices we talked about how we would like Bay Lake Tower or Wilderness Lodge so that was perfect! They could offer me a BLT contract but it would have been a shorter one and they couldn't give me the end of year discount that they were offering for Copper Creek. Not like we can't stay at BLT or add points there :)
Anyway like I said they were super non pushy and even when I agreed they were super supportive about it - giving all sorts of payment options and suggesting the amount of points I should start with.
I signed a bunch of paperwork and soon enough we were on our way! It was nuts. I felt bad because we were inside on a beautiful day for almost 3 hours but my Mom promised me she did not mind - especially since it will benefit her too :hilarious:
My Mom took this picture and pretended it was Mickey saying he took all my money :joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340565
:joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
View attachment 340566
My Mom is making a zero sign since she did not buy anything :joyfull:
View attachment 340567
View attachment 340568
View attachment 340569
I still can not believe I did it! I dont think it has hit me yet :inlove:
Our van eventually showed up to take us back to the Contemporary
This van driver was no more pleasant than George - weird .
View attachment 340570

Next up: more randomness
Congratulations! And welcome home! We are enjoying our membership very much. We joined PVB in 2015. And PS, super jealous of the backpack!

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congrats on the DVC membership!!! WL is beautiful, great choice!

Thank you! I am excited I do really love WL!

Congratulations! And yep....that's what I thought it was going to be! When I win millions in the lottery, I'll consider DVC, but for now, we can't afford to go often enough with international flights. So I'll live vicariously through you and others who go more often!

Oh right internationally I can't imagine it working out - Im so fortunate it is just a quick 2.5 hour flight away

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congratulations--that is so exciting!!

I went to a presentation last summer & the CM I had was not pushy in the least either. It was very refreshing to see that. He was so "not pushy" that in the end he told me that he didn't think it was for me(b/c of how much I like staying at POR)!!

Thank you! That is nice to hear - I think that is why they ask so many questions to really make sure you would even benefit from it :) I told him we do love POFQ but usually only there there once a year so he said it would make sense just to pay cash for that :)

I have DVC envy now! 😄 Although, to be honest, I thought you already were DVC since you get to go so often. So, how soon until you get to use your membership benefits? I love WL, although I don’t think I’ve seen the new Copper Creek units ... they must be so nice!

Congrats to you - and your mom, who is a most awesome Disney buddy! And she is right about Mickey - I’d smile all darn day if people gave me their money too! 😂

I'm not using any points until August. I already booked 2 trips before then so it wasn't worth canceling those out :) I have not actually seen the new Copper Creek units yet either :joyfull: It is odd that they sell you these resorts and don't even show them to you. But, every single person I encountered told me that the Copper Creek units were their favorite, albeit a bit smaller than most others. I'm hoping to see them in February because I am staying at WL.

Doc Disney

Original Poster
Congratulations!

I don't know if they have it or not but most vacation clubs have a bonus if you refer someone. If your sister is already thinking about it, you should get a bonus for referring her!

Yes - they do have a bonus - I think you get a tour or something so I have already informed my sister if she does end up buying let me formally refer her :joyfull:

Way to take my advice to "be strong" :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: JK JK, I know you'll break even pretty quickly, so you're a good candidate for it! Now I just need our trips to align again so you can take me to the Top of the World lounge :joyfull:

:inlove::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull::joyfull:
And yes - one day we will go up there (especially since I haven't actually gone up there yet haha)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom