Trip Report **Completed** Leave for Disney World on Friday The 13th They Said. It'll Be Fun They Said. A July 2018 Trip Report.

Hello Disney Friends. Welcome to my long overdue trip report!

My daughter @TheMARVELousAllieBrown posted a pre-trip report for this trip.

Here's whatcha need to know:
Who: DD Allie @TheMARVELousAllieBrown, Me Lisa @LisaBelle , DH Paul, my sister Tina @TangledTina, my BIL Mark, my nephew Spence and DS Adam

When: Friday, July 13 :eek:-Sunday, July 22, 2018
Where: The Contemporary Resort Garden Wing
Why: Ten Year Anniversary of our last whole family vacation, Allie's high school graduation and Paul & Lisa's 29th anniversary. In the pre-trip we dubbed it our Vacaygraduversary Trip!
How: Road Trip!
I created treat bags for every state that we would drive through. The idea being that as we crossed the state line we would open the bag and enjoy a treat that is representative of that state. For Ohio, naturally I chose Buckeyes candy.

For Kentucky I chose Ale 8 soda. Bourbon would have been the obvious choice, but since not everyone was of legal drinking age I had to go with a soft drink.

For Tennessee it was Goo Goo Clusters

Georgia was Peanut M & Ms

And Florida would be orange juice from the Florida Welcome Center.
Because we were driving, I placed the small bags inside of an insulated cooler bag to keep the chocolate from melting. I made one bag for our car and one bag for Tina's.

Day 1 Friday, July 13, 2018
Tina and her family live about an hour north of us. They planned to leave home around 7, drive toward Cincy and meet us at the Chick-fil-A at our exit around 8. We were hoping to have breakfast and be on the road by 9. We would spend the night in Valdosta, Georgia and arrive at Disney around check in time on Saturday. Sounds like a great plan, right?
Tina has a tendency to run late, so when she hadn't texted by 7:15 to say that they were on the road, I wasn't too concerned. When I still hadn't heard from her by 7:30 I texted to see how things were coming. Instead of a text, I get a call saying, "Maybe you guys should just leave without us." What????!!!!!! And there goes the plan!
Because there was a medical situation they would be taking a short trip to the hospital before they could leave for the trip to Disney. We decided we would wait it out for a bit so when we left they would not be too far behind us. With bellies full of Chick-fil-A, we were finally on the road at about 12 (about 3 hours behind schedule so not too bad). A bumpy start but glad to finally be en route to the happiest place on earth. We crossed the border into Kentucky about 15 minutes later. We opened our first treat and continued on our way. We had just passed Lexington, KY when Tina called to say that they were on their way! We figured that we should be able to meet up somewhere down the road.
We stopped for an early dinner at a Subway in Knoxville, TN. Back in the car to continue our journey, we decided to enjoy our Goo Goo Clusters for dessert. We noticed the car was not getting cooler. We turned the a/c off and back on again. No cool air. We pulled into a parking lot, turned the car off and back on again. Still no cool air. By now the Goo Goo Clusters and M& Ms are starting to melt and it is approaching 5pm on a Friday night. Adam and Allie researched nearby Firestone Auto Repair shops. The closest one said their a/c charger was not charging. We found another one about 15 minutes away. It was July in Tennessee. It was a lovely sunny day and the temperature was well into the nineties! We were melting by the time we arrived at Firestone.

We arrived hopeful and left with our spirits dashed as the problem was not something they could fix and it would have to be repaired at the dealership. On the road again, we were looking forward to nightfall and hopefully cooler temps. We were forced to ride in style with our windows down to avoid heatstroke. This prevented us from hearing the dialogue from our dvd player. To keep up morale Allie had the aux and we jammed out. We were headed further south and although our spirits were high, the temperature was higher. Our unsuccessful Firestone detour allowed Tina's family to close the gap a bit. By now we were only about an hour ahead of them. Fast forward an hour and Tina's a/c also went out as they drove through Knoxville. Lucky for them, their's was an easy fix and Mark was able to re-charge their a/c. Just before sundown we stopped for gas. At this point we decided it was vital to document our misery. Please enjoy this photo at a gas station somewhere between Knoxville and Atlanta.

Paul and Adam smiling through the pain. So proud of our little troopers!
We forged on and eventually were able to meet up with Tina's crew at a truck stop with a Wendy's around 11pm.

We rallied after our Wendy's pit stop (which was the longest wait at Wendy's on record) and finally made it to our hotel in Valdosta at 3am. Let me say that a shower and air conditioning have never felt so good!
Due to our late arrival we decided to sleep in a bit and would check out at 11 and grab lunch before hitting the road.

Last edited:

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
Reading along and loving your report so far!

Regarding the road trip: what awesome memories you will have! I find that the more odd things that happen, or things that don't go exactly as planned are the things that will stick out in your memory the most. One year, my family and extended family went to Maine for vacation. We had all split up during the day, as some of us went fishing, some went shopping, etc. We made plans to meet at a restaurant later that evening, where we realized-someone forgot to go back to the cabin to pick up Uncle Bill. We STILL mention this, and it happened 15 years ago :hilarious:

A few years back, DH and I stayed at Bay Lake Tower, and though I KNEW I knew the way to get onto Disney property, the GPS took us off a random exit, through a neighborhood, past Disney University (I felt like we were trespassing!) and to the Contemporary the same way! Like you, I was sort of disappointed that we didn't go under the sign, and I had no clue where we were until ***SPACE MOUNTAIN*** was right there in our faces!! LOL. We haven't had the GPS take us that way since, so I think it's just if you're headed to the Contemporary.

'Ohana-- I really loved the food there, but yeah the pacing was inconsistent. I personally would probably go back at some point for the food and the view, plus I love the Poly...but for the price, there shouldn't really be those other problems.

My next visit is in June, which will be my first summer visit **crosses everything crossable that I don't have A/C issues on the way down from GA** Must look into these towel things...

Glad things got better, and I look forward to reading more!

Spash007

We haven’t eaten at Ohana yet, mostly due to us second guessing whether we’ll enjoy the flavors. I always have some regret, but after hearing about the inconsistent service now from a few people, I’m starting to feel better about it!

Longers

So I’m away for a few days and missed the start of this but here now.
I would love to drive to Disney but no A/c would not be good. How long did it take you to drive?
Love that you had snacks to represent everywhere you drove through. What a cool idea.
Looking forward to reading more.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We had the same issues with O'hana... very rush, but left waiting for shrimp...... we too felt it didn't live up to the hype. Sad... I bet it once was amazing!
Sorry you had a so so visit as well. Loved the atmosphere. If it was less pricey we'd probably try again.
O'hana was one and done for us too. I think we'll try breakfast once the kiddo is older and will enjoy the characters, but that's it.
I think the character breakfast would be lots of fun. The atmosphere is great and breakfast is more reasonably priced (for Disney).
Reading along and loving your report so far!

Regarding the road trip: what awesome memories you will have! I find that the more odd things that happen, or things that don't go exactly as planned are the things that will stick out in your memory the most. One year, my family and extended family went to Maine for vacation. We had all split up during the day, as some of us went fishing, some went shopping, etc. We made plans to meet at a restaurant later that evening, where we realized-someone forgot to go back to the cabin to pick up Uncle Bill. We STILL mention this, and it happened 15 years ago :hilarious:

A few years back, DH and I stayed at Bay Lake Tower, and though I KNEW I knew the way to get onto Disney property, the GPS took us off a random exit, through a neighborhood, past Disney University (I felt like we were trespassing!) and to the Contemporary the same way! Like you, I was sort of disappointed that we didn't go under the sign, and I had no clue where we were until ***SPACE MOUNTAIN*** was right there in our faces!! LOL. We haven't had the GPS take us that way since, so I think it's just if you're headed to the Contemporary.

'Ohana-- I really loved the food there, but yeah the pacing was inconsistent. I personally would probably go back at some point for the food and the view, plus I love the Poly...but for the price, there shouldn't really be those other problems.

My next visit is in June, which will be my first summer visit **crosses everything crossable that I don't have A/C issues on the way down from GA** Must look into these towel things...

Glad things got better, and I look forward to reading more!
Thanks for reading! You're right, the mishaps do make a trip more memorable. Love your Uncle Bill story :hilarious:! It's funny that your GPS did the same thing to you. It was cool to get a new view of Space, but I really missed that moment of driving under the sign. Live and learn. Hopefully I'll know better next time. Sending pixie dust for all good things on your June road trip. Tina found the sports towels at Dick's Sporting Goods. You soak them in cold water and and wear them around your neck. They did help quite a bit, but it was so hot and humid that nothing made us comfortable!
We haven’t eaten at Ohana yet, mostly due to us second guessing whether we’ll enjoy the flavors. I always have some regret, but after hearing about the inconsistent service now from a few people, I’m starting to feel better about it!
Loved the atmosphere and I enjoyed the flavors. I wasn't sure I would like the coriander wings because I wasn't sure I'd ever had coriander before. Those were one of my favorite things that night.
So I’m away for a few days and missed the start of this but here now.
I would love to drive to Disney but no A/c would not be good. How long did it take you to drive?
Love that you had snacks to represent everywhere you drove through. What a cool idea.
Looking forward to reading more.
Yay! So glad you're here. No a/c was miserable but we had Disney to look forward to so we persevered!
Google says that it takes 13 hours to drive from Cincinnati to Disney. It actually took us more like 19 hours over 2 days. Of course that included our stop at the repair shop, a long stop so that we could finally meet up with Tina's family and of course our detour around Orlando! I love planning and making the snack bags. Allie always helps plan everything else, but I keep those bags a secret from her too so that she still has a few surprises to look forward to. Lots more to come. Next post is in the works right now.
I'm glad to see this report come up! Looking forward to seeing more. We were down there around the same time, too bad our paths didn't cross.
Glad to have you join in the fun. I knew from reading your reports that you and Brad were going to be down there when we were. I kept my eyes peeled for you guys but never saw you. I haven't finished reading your TR yet, but I have been checking the background of your pics to see if we may have crossed paths without realizing it.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
Day 3 Magic Kingdom Day and Paul & Lisa's Anniversary!
After we returned from dinner the night before we made a quick stop at the Contempo Cafe to pick up our mugs (we were not on the dining plan but couldn't resist the mugs) and some granola bars and fruit for a quick breakfast in the morning.

We awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed-ready for our first day at MK. We grabbed granola bars to eat and headed out. We decided to walk to MK. It was a really nice walk and it was great to get through security prior to arriving at the park.

Allie practiced her proper Disney pointing etiquette to head us in the right direction.

Hello Monorail! It was cool to walk under the track on our journey to MK.

Train station

This was taken on the first day of our last family trip. Allie was 8, Spence was 3 and Adam was 12!

All grown up!

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We were ready to enter MK! This is one of my absolute favorite parts of a Disney vacation. Reading this sign, walking under the tunnel and standing on Main Street USA! I love this sign so much that later in the week I purchased a key chain and a t-shirt with this saying.

It was a beautiful morning!

And the moment we've all been waiting for! I was finally HOME!

I am teary eyed right now just looking at this magnificent sight!
We stopped for the obligatory group photo and headed toward the hub.

Just as I turned around, the fireworks signaled that MK was officially open!

We headed toward the teacups in Fantasyland. We chose the teacups as our first ride because it was our first ride on our last family trip.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
In all my visits to the Poly, I have never noticed this hidden Mickey! :jawdrop::facepalm:

760BF2B4-04C8-442E-AD0C-40F38C58EB71.jpeg

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We have a photo of our dad making a silly face on the teacups. Adam looks a lot like our dad, so we had him try to recreate the face.

Having fun!

Next we headed to the Hundred Acre Wood to visit Pooh and his friends!

Then we took a spin on everyone's favorite flying elephant. This is the first ride Paul, Adam, Allie and I rode on our first WDW trip.

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We went from soaring through the sky to a trip under the sea.

Allie had some fun in the queue!

My favorite part!

After our voyage we were getting hungry so we popped into Gaston's to cool off and have a bite to eat.

Tina got a LeFou's Brew for us to share. We also shared a sandwich and some hummus and pretzels. We were very disappointed in the hummus and pretzels as it was the same lunch box size container I can buy any day at Kroger. I expected it to be a larger serving and to maybe have some different type of pretzels.

Tina borrowed Gaston's chair!

amjt660

Premium Member
We did Ohana when the girls were young (probably 3 times + the dinner show) and gave up
Too much money and too loud for what you get

Assembly line mentality from the service staff
This is probably the most annoying thing for me - when feels like everyone on staff is going through the motions for you - the good feeling about a meal is lost

Max

amjt660

Premium Member
Day 3 Magic Kingdom Day and Paul & Lisa's Anniversary!
After we returned from dinner the night before we made a quick stop at the Contempo Cafe to pick up our mugs (we were not on the dining plan but couldn't resist the mugs) and some granola bars and fruit for a quick breakfast in the morning.

We awoke bright eyed and bushy tailed-ready for our first day at MK. We grabbed granola bars to eat and headed out. We decided to walk to MK. It was a really nice walk and it was great to get through security prior to arriving at the park.

Allie practiced her proper Disney pointing etiquette to head us in the right direction.

Hello Monorail! It was cool to walk under the track on our journey to MK.

Train station

This was taken on the first day of our last family trip. Allie was 8, Spence was 3 and Adam was 12!

All grown up!
Loving the throwback pics!!
Keep them coming!!!

Max

LisaBelle

Original Poster
We did Ohana when the girls were young (probably 3 times + the dinner show) and gave up
Too much money and too loud for what you get

Assembly line mentality from the service staff
This is probably the most annoying thing for me - when feels like everyone on staff is going through the motions for you - the good feeling about a meal is lost

Max
Agreed

Loving the throwback pics!!
Keep them coming!!!

Max
Glad you are enjoying them. I will try to incorporate as many as I can!

DisneyMorgan

I've been waiting for this report!!! I'm from TN and I don't think i've ever had a Goo-Goo Cluster... I had no idea they were even from TN! I'm glad you made the best of your a/c-less drive! I don't know how y'all survived the heat!

Ah man :( you're 'Ohana review is a bummer. We scheduled a meal there for May but now i'm rethinking it. I've read they recently replaced the noodles and veggies with fried rice?? Hopefully they change it back!

It's fun to read about your MK day! We were literally going in the opposite direction of each other the whole day lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom