Trip Report **COMPLETE** The "SURPRISE!!! We're not going to Pittsburgh... We're going to Disney World!!" TR

Hi everyone! My family and I just got back from an amazing week at the Beach Club Villas and I'm going to try my best to do a trip report, because I learned SO much by reading everyone else's on here.

First off, for full disclosure, I realized as I was looking through our pics after we got back, that other than one Lapu Lapu and several Mickey Bars, I didn't take one. single. food pic. My only excuse is that I was so excited to eat all the delicious food that I didn't take the time to photograph it. So if you read trip reports for the food pics, you will be sorely disappointed with my TR.
I did, however, eat a TON of delicious food, and kept good notes, so hopefully that will make up for the lack of pics. :)

This was our first family trip to WDW. This is our family-

image.jpg

Kevin and me

image.jpg

Calvin and Claire

I (Michelle) went to Disney World in 1994 when I was 14 with my family to the MK, Epcot and MGM Studios. I also went to the MK for one day trips in 1998 and 2005. My husband (Kevin) went to the MK in 1978 as a 5 year old and remembers nothing. This was the WDW experience between the two of us.
I am, however, a huge lover of all things Disney and have been dreaming of taking my kids to Disney World since before they technically existed. :)
So last summer, I told my husband "That's it. Claire is three and Calvin is five. They are the perfect age for Disney magic. We are going to Disney World next February break". Since I do all of our vacation research, planning and prep (a mutual choice, not because I'm some control freak :) ), he basically nodded and went along with it. And I'm pretty sure he loves me and knew how important this trip was to me. :)

So after much research and planning, we decided to rent points through David's to stay at the Beach Club for a week. We also decided to keep it a secret from our kids and to tell them the day before we left. We live about an hour south of Buffalo NY in a frozen tundra called Lakewood. Seriously though, it has been flipping freezing this winter, more so than usual, and I was beyond ready to escape the cold. We told our kids about two weeks before we were set to leave, that we were going to a hotel in Pittsburgh (we were flying out of Pittsburgh) with an indoor pool. They were so excited about this. I couldn't WAIT to tell them we were actually going to Disney World.
But based on my son's reaction when we told them, I think I may have gone a little overboard with the Disney jug we kept on the counter and saving our money up for our "someday in the very far off future" trip to Disney World. Next up is their reaction when we told them...

disneygirl1

Thanks for following along! The marshmallow roast during February was at 5:30 and the movie on the beach was at 6:30 or 7:00 I believe. But I would think they might push the times back as it gets lighter later in the day? Maybe not, but we received an email about a week before we arrived that included a schedule of events at Beach Club and Yacht Club and all the activities at Stormalong Bay. I think Stormalong Bay was open pretty late- maybe 9 or 10 pm?
You could also walk across the bridge to the Boardwalk if you wanted. We never actually did make it there this trip, but I hear it is a lot of fun, especially in the evening.
The only stop before ours was the Yacht Club which is right next door. Not sure if it's always like that, but we were not on the DME for very long. Good luck! I hope you have an amazing trip! You will LOVE the Beach Club! :)

Thank you so much for the info! Hopefully we will be able to partake in the marshmallow roast when we arrive. If not I think we'll just get settled in the room and head to storm along bay for a bit. We staying at the Boardwalk in Dec and loved it. All the performers at night are so fun to watch so that is an option. We may even go mini golfing over at Fantasia gardens. Who knows I think we'll just play it my "ear" on arrival day. I sure hope BC is the second stop on DME for us too. We arrive a 550p and REALLY hoping to be at BCV by 7p.

mishel635

Original Poster
We still had a little more time left before our Safari Fastpass so we decided to check out Pangani Exploration Forest Trail. This was really interesting and fun for the kids and us. We really enjoyed it, especially the area with the fish and the birds. It was so cool how the birds would come out of nowhere and divebomb into their nests. And we saw a bird that looked a lot like the bird Kevin from Up, but I couldn't get a good picture.

Looking at all the fish...
image.jpg

image.jpg

Looked at all the animals in the little building. The kids especially liked the hairless mole family and all the gorillas. Played this game from (I think) Uganda for awhile.

image.jpg

After going through the Forest Trail, it was time for our Safari!!!! We were all really excited about it. Our tour guide was great. Very informative and very funny. We saw a TON of animals.

DSCN5141.JPG

DSCN5142.JPG

A Baby Giraffe!!!! So cute!
DSCN5149.JPG

DSCN5154.JPG

Had to stop for a giraffe crossing!!!! :)

DSCN5150.JPG

DSCN5161.JPG

DSCN5165.JPG

mishel635

Original Poster
DSCN5171.JPG

DSCN5147.JPG

DSCN5173.JPG

DSCN5175.JPG

DSCN5179.JPG

Such a fun ride!!!

After our safari, we looked at a few of the shops in Africa. It was the first day that we actually were pretty hot (I thought it was fitting that we were in Africa. :p ) and this was when another of our catch-phrases started. In the beginning of Finding Nemo when it's still at the menu, Merlin tells Dory they are in the movie and she says "I need water. Fill my trailer with water...". My kids find this hilarious and would say it every time they asked for a drink of water for the rest of the trip. :joyfull:

We took the train to Rafiki's Planet Watch and did most of the things there. The kids loved the Grandmother Willow Tree in the Conservation Station and liked playing on the big animals.

DSCN5184.JPG

We saw Chip and Dale outside and there was also a very talented man singing songs outside about different guests. He was really good. Took the train back and made a few more pressed pennies at the train station.

After we got back to Africa, we walked through the Discovery Island Trails to see some more animals and the Tree of Life.

DSCN5187.JPG

By this point, the kids and Kevin were getting hungry and although I wanted to head to Flame Tree Barbecue, we were right next to Pizzafari so we decided to go there. Kevin had a salad and the kids split a kids pizza meal. I was still pretty full from Boma and was really looking forward to Sanaa that evening so I just had a few bites of Kevin's chocolate mousse.

Attachments

• DSCN5173.JPG
    DSCN5173.JPG
    150.4 KB · Views: 49
  • DSCN5175.JPG
    DSCN5175.JPG
    164.5 KB · Views: 62
  • DSCN5179.JPG
    DSCN5179.JPG
    136.1 KB · Views: 50

mishel635

Original Poster
It was then time to meet Mickey and Minnie!!!! Since our Mickey heads turned blue we had to wait a few minutes though. The man working the Fastpass line was great, singing songs with the kids and talking about our favorite Disney movies. I wish I would have noticed his name!

Didn't wait very long once we went inside to the line, and the kids had a great interaction with them!

9.JPG

10.JPG

45.JPG

65.JPG

44.JPG

27.JPG

The kids loved meeting Mickey and Minnie here and couldn't stop talking about it!!! :)

Next up was what Claire had been looking forward to all day.... meeting Pocahontas!!! She and Calvin LOVE the movie. I can't even count all the different places she has burst into song with "Just around the River Bend" and "Colors of the Wind". The best was the day she had "Savages" in her head when we went grocery shopping at our local Wegmans grocery store. We got a few funny looks that day!

We only waited in line about ten minutes and then she was meeting Pocahontas!!!!

64.JPG

25.JPG

56.JPG

It was adorable how nervous she was meeting her, but once Pocahontas started talking to her, she relaxed and they talked for a few minutes. Very cute. :)

After this, we went to the Boneyard and let the kids run around and dig until it was time to find a spot for the parade!

Next up, Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade, but first, I just realized I forgot to put the kids' morning note on here earlier....

36.JPG

mishel635

Original Poster
We found a spot for the parade- we really enjoyed it, especially since I had just heard that they might be getting rid of it. :(

DSCN5191.JPG

These kinds of things were pretty cool!
DSCN5193.JPG

These two had been cracking us up all week long! So funny!!!!
DSCN5195.JPG

LOVE the polka dots!!!! :)
DSCN5198.JPG

Got a handshake!!!!
DSCN5200.JPG

My favorite! :)
DSCN5201.JPG

DSCN5204.JPG

DSCN5205.JPG

DSCN5208.JPG

And there's Mickey!!!!!! The kids really loved this parade!
DSCN5211.JPG

Even though there were a few attractions we hadn't gotten to, (Flights of Wonder, the Finding Nemo musical, Maharajah Jungle Trek), we had a 5:15 reservation for Sanaa and I really wanted to get there when they opened at 5:00 to try and get a good window seat! :) Plus the kids were pretty pooped at this point, so we headed out after the parade to catch a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge!!

mishel635

Original Poster
:joyfull:We quickly caught a bus to Animal Kingdom Lodge. What a gorgeous resort!!! I would definitely stay there, even if just for a split stay. I have a feeling we are going to be Beach Club devotees!!! :)

We got there about 20 minutes before they opened, so we went outside to look around. I couldn't believe how many animals there were outside.

DSCN5223.JPG

DSCN5231.JPG

DSCN5227.JPG

The kids had fun spotting as many as they could, and then started checking out the rocking chairs.

DSCN5216.JPG

They saw the fire pit and asked if we could have S'mores at this resort tonight. :)

Claire, of course, starting acting out Goldilocks and the Three Bears. The cast member who was working out there had a hard time not laughing out loud. She then went on to make some friends...

DSCN5222.JPG

We then headed inside as it was almost 5:00, and were greeted by drums... the kids loved this and had a little pre-dinner dance party.

DSCN5233.JPG

DSCN5234.JPG

We were one of the first tables seated and had an amazing view!!!!!

65.JPG

About a minute after we were seated, this guy came over to the window right by our table and stayed there for our ENTIRE MEAL!!! It was so funny! People kept coming over and asking if they could take pictures. The kids loved it.

64.JPG

Now onto the best part.... our meal!! This dinner is tied with Ohana as the best meal of our trip. Just an awesome atmosphere, our server was wonderful and the food was amazing!!!!

Our server's name was Zack and he went above and beyond, just so helpful, friendly, enthusiastic, etc... We had originally planned to order the strip steak for Kevin and the butter chicken and beef ribs for me with the bread service and shrimp as an appetizer. Zack informed us though, that the kids could actually order an adult meal for the kids with the deluxe dining plan. He also said that if I was a seafood lover I should definitely get the fish, scallop and shrimp special, and we could get the butter chicken and beef for one of the kids, which I knew they would like. He also told Kevin that the lamb shank would change his life!!!! :) He really was great. So with the addition of the flatbread pizza for the kids as well, that was what we ordered. I also had another one of those yummy Sangria's. I figured I deserved one after trekking through Africa all day!!! :joyfull:

Our bread service came out and although the spicy bread was a little bit too spicy for us (I'm not ashamed to admit that I'm a wimp when it comes to spicy food, and my husband's worse than me!!!) it was SO good!!! There were nine different sauces and only two were too spicy for us. The rest were all so delicious!!! The shrimp was beyond good as well.

Our entrees came out and they looked amazing! (Again, I apologize for no pics. :()
Kevin's lamb just slid right off the bone when he picked it up, my fish, shrimp and scallops were so fresh, and everything on my plate was SO good!!! I only had room for a bite of the butter chicken and beef ribs, but the kids had some as well and we brought the rest home with us, and let me tell you, it did not go to waste!!! SO good!! The kids loved their pizza too.

For dessert, we were WAY too stuffed so we got them to go and actually did eat them later that night. I had the trio- chocolate mousse, coconut cheesecake and chai cream. Everything was good, but let me tell you, that chai cream, was to die for!!! I wish I would have asked them if I could have three of those!!!! :happy:

mishel635

Original Poster
Loving your trip report! Can't wait to read some more!

Thanks so much for following along! :)

We are heading to the Beach Club on Friday and this is really getting me excited to go!!

I hope you're having an amazing time!! I'm jealous! Can't wait to go back!

I've wanted to stay at this hotel for a while because the pool has sand, but I didn't realize they have a lazy river too! That's too perfect!

It really is just an amazing resort. Hope you get there soon!!! :)

I completely agree with u on Boma! I never had the breakfast, but dinner was good. Not anything earth shattering like they say it is online! LOL My wife is a very picky eater an she didn't like it at all.

I feel bad because it WAS good. I think I was just disappointed because I was expecting something amazing! :)

Still a great great report!!!

Thanks so much! I'm having a lot of fun writing it!

I agree with you @mishel635!! We were excited to try Boma's when we were there in December and were really disappointed. My husband even loves to try different kinds of food and wasn't impressed but the lodge was gorgeous!!

I agree! AKL was amazing! Would love to stay there someday!

Cape May's flourless chocolate cake-AMAZING!!!!

I can't believe I forgot to mention that cake!!! Agreed- AMAZING!!!! :)

Enjoying this report Mishel! Your children seem so sweet and you are so go-with-the-flow, such a great family! Looking forward to the rest! :)

Thank you so much for the kind words, and for following along! :)

Such a good idea with the notes in the morning:)

Thanks! I'm so glad I did it. The kids really loved them. :)

Brilliant trip report, love the notes you've left for the kids they are sooo cute. :D

Thanks so much for following along!

Goofy is my favourite too...! :D

I don't know what it is about him, but he has been my favorite since I was a kid! :)

I am glad you enjoyed Sanaa, I will make sure we get reservations there next trip.:) Really enjoying the trip report.

Thanks so much for following along! If you love Sanaa even half as much as we did, you will definitely enjoy it! :)

MickeyisMyBestFriend

Thanks so much for following along! If you love Sanaa even half as much as we did, you will definitely enjoy it! :)[/QUOTE] That's great I am so excited to eat there and even more excited for the next installment:)

mishel635

Original Poster
We decided that since it wasn't too late, we would take a bus to Epcot and walk through to the International Gateway entrance to the resort. Had to stop for some pics! :)

wdw201404946619554_6932163354_18.jpeg

My big, strong boy!!!
DSCN5245.JPG

My little ham! :)
DSCN5246.JPG

I don't know what it is about Epcot at night, but I just LOVE it!!!! The Magic Kingdom is great at night too, but there's just something about walking through Epcot at night that I love...

Went through Epcot, and the kids couldn't get over the twinkling lights in the ground! I couldn't get a good pic though.

Got back to our resort, and one of our favorite movies, Miracle was playing. So Kevin found a lawn chair, and I found a comfortable spot in the sand, and the kids ran around like crazy on the beach... just loving life. It was such a gorgeous night and one of those moments that just feel so great, and you know you will never forget...

DSCN5247.JPG

DSCN5251.JPG

Just a great day overall... I had heard mixed reviews about Animal Kingdom and even some people saying to skip it altogether, but I guess it just depends on the person. We loved it and I can't wait to go back, and I have high hopes for Avatarland, especially since we really liked that movie...

After the movie was over, we headed back to our room. We were opening up Epcot in the morning having breakfast with the princesses at Akershus!!!!

The kids were up bright and early looking for their note...

66.JPG

We headed out for the International Gateway, and found a completely empty UK!!!! I could get used to that!!! (Although I did miss the music! :) )

DSCN5252.JPG

DSCN5253.JPG

Made our way over to Norway, where there was already a line at 8:00 am of at least thirty people waiting for the Meet and Greet with Anna and Elsa at 11:00!!!

The kids were ready to talk with some princesses again! :)

DSCN5254.JPG

I hadn't been to Epcot since I was fourteen before this trip, and I forgot how much I absolutely love the World Showcase! Norway was gorgeous and I was really looking forward to a buffet with something different! We waited about ten or fifteen minutes and then made our way into the castle, where Belle was waiting to take a picture with us...

wdw201405046690376_6935194967_18.jpeg

I thought the kids might notice that the princesses looked a little different than the ones at Cinderella's castle, but they never said anything!

mishel635

Original Poster
We were seated right after our picture, and our server came over and she was actually from Norway! We headed up to the buffet. There was a very nice selection of pastries and fruit, an assortment of cheeses, among other things. I was excited to see that they had pickled herring! My husband thinks I'm crazy but I love it! I'm half Polish and it was at every holiday gathering when I was growing up. Everything was very good. They also brought us out a plate of eggs, sausage and bacon to share family style.

Our first Princess was Aurora. She LOVED Calvin's shirt and said she always feels so much safer when there's a member of the PPA around!!! He loved it! :)

DSCN5257.JPG

Claire was cracking me up here too. She had been eating bacon and when Aurora came over, she grabbed her napkin out of her lap and started frantically wiping her hands off, and said "Mom, I can't have dirty hands. I'll get her beautiful gown dirty!" So funny!!!! :joyfull:

Next up was Cinderella!!!! When Claire was wiping her hands off before going to her, she smiled at her and said, "Just like a true princess..." Claire was so happy. :happy:

71.JPG

Ariel came next. She was so cute and really funny! The kids loved her!

I love how Claire is holding onto her finger! :)
72.JPG

She was thanking him for his service in the PPA. :)
73.JPG

74.JPG

Next up was Claire's favorite... Snow White!!!! She thanked Claire for wearing her picture on her shirt.

75.JPG

76.JPG

A few minutes later, they announced a Princess parade!!! I wish I would have gotten a picture of the look on Claire's face when Snow White came back over to our table and grabbed her hand to walk with her in the Princess Parade!!! It was a look of pure joy. :happy:

77.JPG

78.JPG

SO cute!!!! :):):)

After this, we were all pretty much done eating, so we headed out and over to Future World. We had a few Fastpasses and then we had planned to come back to the World Showcase to walk around the countries

morningstar

Some of the princesses at your meals are the prettiest I've seen. Especially Jasmine from Cinderella's castle. A lot of Jasmines just don't look right. I almost believed that one wasn't a white girl with a spray tan. Belle from Akerhus too. She looks like she could play Jasmine.

morningstar

Next up was what Claire had been looking forward to all day.... meeting Pocahontas!!! She and Calvin LOVE the movie. I can't even count all the different places she has burst into song with "Just around the River Bend" and "Colors of the Wind". The best was the day she had "Savages" in her head when we went grocery shopping at our local Wegmans grocery store. We got a few funny looks that day!

"No sir, she was saying, 'Cabbages! Cabbages!' She throws quite a tantrum if she doesn't get her vegetables."

mishel635

Original Poster
Some of the princesses at your meals are the prettiest I've seen. Especially Jasmine from Cinderella's castle. A lot of Jasmines just don't look right. I almost believed that one wasn't a white girl with a spray tan. Belle from Akerhus too. She looks like she could play Jasmine.

We were definitely very lucky. They were all wonderful and you could just tell the kids were mesmerized.

"No sir, she was saying, 'Cabbages! Cabbages!' She throws quite a tantrum if she doesn't get her vegetables."

I wish I would have thought of that at the time!!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom