Trip Report **COMPLETE** The "SURPRISE!!! We're not going to Pittsburgh... We're going to Disney World!!" TR

Hi everyone! My family and I just got back from an amazing week at the Beach Club Villas and I'm going to try my best to do a trip report, because I learned SO much by reading everyone else's on here.

First off, for full disclosure, I realized as I was looking through our pics after we got back, that other than one Lapu Lapu and several Mickey Bars, I didn't take one. single. food pic. My only excuse is that I was so excited to eat all the delicious food that I didn't take the time to photograph it. So if you read trip reports for the food pics, you will be sorely disappointed with my TR.
I did, however, eat a TON of delicious food, and kept good notes, so hopefully that will make up for the lack of pics. :)

This was our first family trip to WDW. This is our family-

image.jpg

Kevin and me

image.jpg

Calvin and Claire

I (Michelle) went to Disney World in 1994 when I was 14 with my family to the MK, Epcot and MGM Studios. I also went to the MK for one day trips in 1998 and 2005. My husband (Kevin) went to the MK in 1978 as a 5 year old and remembers nothing. This was the WDW experience between the two of us.
I am, however, a huge lover of all things Disney and have been dreaming of taking my kids to Disney World since before they technically existed. :)
So last summer, I told my husband "That's it. Claire is three and Calvin is five. They are the perfect age for Disney magic. We are going to Disney World next February break". Since I do all of our vacation research, planning and prep (a mutual choice, not because I'm some control freak :) ), he basically nodded and went along with it. And I'm pretty sure he loves me and knew how important this trip was to me. :)

So after much research and planning, we decided to rent points through David's to stay at the Beach Club for a week. We also decided to keep it a secret from our kids and to tell them the day before we left. We live about an hour south of Buffalo NY in a frozen tundra called Lakewood. Seriously though, it has been flipping freezing this winter, more so than usual, and I was beyond ready to escape the cold. We told our kids about two weeks before we were set to leave, that we were going to a hotel in Pittsburgh (we were flying out of Pittsburgh) with an indoor pool. They were so excited about this. I couldn't WAIT to tell them we were actually going to Disney World.
But based on my son's reaction when we told them, I think I may have gone a little overboard with the Disney jug we kept on the counter and saving our money up for our "someday in the very far off future" trip to Disney World. Next up is their reaction when we told them...

mishel635

Original Poster
Loving the outfits! Sooooo cute :) I'm also glad I was reading this while the kids were in bed. Sammie is begging for a light saber and I think she'd go nuts if she saw the build your own. Also glad you enjoyed 1900 PF breakfast! My Fave :) Can't wait to read more!

Thanks! I had so much fun planning their outfits. :) Those lightsabers were definitely a good investment. All three of my "kids" play with them every day!

The show looks marvelous. Can't wait to see it next October... but probably gonna compare it with Disney Dreams in DLP and don't know if it even will come close :)

Now I will have to add DLP to my vacation bucket list. Is it great? Thanks for following along!

I'm sad your report will be finished soon. It has been so fun following along with your family's trip. Your kids are adorable-- and it seems like they did a spectacular job with all the stimulation, waiting, and excitement. :)

Thanks for following along! I wasn't sure what to expect but they were just so excited and happy all week that we avoided any meltdowns or issues. Can't wait to go back! :)

Great trip report. I was sad you guys had to leave also:). Hopefully I will another trip report soon;)

Thanks so much for following along!

I really enjoyed following along with you on your disney trip! Totally agree with you about cast members and how they go above and beyond to help you have a great vacation. You will have so many memories from this trip! Hope you do make it back in two years. Oh and your kids are absolutely adorable!

Thanks so much! :)

I'd be so bummed on the last day hanging out around Disney World but not going to the parks. I'd spring for the extra day on the ticket even if I only had time to go for a half day. But luckily your kids seemed oblivious that the fun was coming to an end and had fun at the pool.

We actually did have a park hopper that day and thought about doing a park but we had only gone to the pool twice all week and the kids were excited for some pool time. :)

Thank you so much for sharing. I was reliving my trip through you!!

Thank you for following along!

I loved reading this report! Sounds like you guys had a wonderful time :D (and I sooo understand the sentimental tears as you leave!)

Thanks for following along! The day we left was so sad for me. We are definitely going to try to stay a few more days next time. Eight days was not anywhere near enough!!!

I LOVED your report! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for following along!

thnaks for sharing! Great report to read and to see the pictures! If our trip in October will eb half as good :)

Thanks again for following along. I look forward to your trip report in October! :)

LisaBelle

Great trip report! I was teary eyed reading about how sad you were when you were leaving. I feel the same way every time we leave the World. I am also a sentimental sap and usually shed a few tears at departure time! Claire reminds me of my daughter on our first trip to WDW! Loved the notes, what a magical touch for the kids. I loved Claire's comment about "not being good at this flying thing"! I am in total agreement with her that "only landing the plane will help!" Glad you had such a magical first family visit. Have fun anticipating and planning your next trip.

FlaggNL

Now I will have to add DLP to my vacation bucket list. Is it great? Thanks for following along!

Ohw DLP is a have to go if you come to Europe or France! Disney Dreams is more than great! Check one of my earlier TR's! There are video's of Dreams!

mishel635

Original Poster
Great trip report! I was teary eyed reading about how sad you were when you were leaving. I feel the same way every time we leave the World. I am also a sentimental sap and usually shed a few tears at departure time! Claire reminds me of my daughter on our first trip to WDW! Loved the notes, what a magical touch for the kids. I loved Claire's comment about "not being good at this flying thing"! I am in total agreement with her that "only landing the plane will help!" Glad you had such a magical first family visit. Have fun anticipating and planning your next trip.

Awwww thanks so much!!! I am already making lots of notes to get ready to plan our next trip... So excited!!! :)

Ohw DLP is a have to go if you come to Europe or France! Disney Dreams is more than great! Check one of my earlier TR's! There are video's of Dreams!

I will definitely check out your trip reports. We are planning to take our kids to Europe sometime when they are teenagers so not for another eight years or so. My husband and I both have family in Italy and England so we want to go there someday to finally meet them and do a whole European tour. We will have to put DLP on our list of must-sees!!!! :) I look forward to your trip report in October!

FlaggNL

I will definitely check out your trip reports. We are planning to take our kids to Europe sometime when they are teenagers so not for another eight years or so. My husband and I both have family in Italy and England so we want to go there someday to finally meet them and do a whole European tour. We will have to put DLP on our list of must-sees!!!! :) I look forward to your trip report in October!

Hej thanks for the reply :) Hope you like the TR's when checking, you will find a lot of similarities with DWD, but off course DLP has European influence and some details that you won't find in WDW. Also a few DLP attractions and rides only. It's great to have family on the other side of the ocean, and maybe you have to wait for another eight years, it's long but absolutely worth the waiting! We are looking forward to our trip in October :) LOL!

HouCuseChickie

I was reading over your last day and started feeling that lump I always get in my throat as I realize the end of the trip is near, but I'm trying to savor every last moment. The only cure -- planning another trip ;) It's too bad they couldn't get you into a kids line at MCO security. We missed out on that our last trip b/c we were stroller free. Oh well. Had a great time reading your report and hope you guys get some real relief from winter soon!

mishel635

Original Poster
I was reading over your last day and started feeling that lump I always get in my throat as I realize the end of the trip is near, but I'm trying to savor every last moment. The only cure -- planning another trip ;) It's too bad they couldn't get you into a kids line at MCO security. We missed out on that our last trip b/c we were stroller free. Oh well. Had a great time reading your report and hope you guys get some real relief from winter soon!

Thanks! That last day is so bittersweet. My best friend is at the Beach Club with her kids right now so I'm living vicariously through her trip for now! We are definitely going back in two years and I'm already mentally planning that trip!! :)
And if it doesn't warm up for our Spring Break in two weeks, we are taking a last minute trip and driving down to Myrtle Beach. Living near Buffalo, I don't normally complain about the winter, but this winter has been the worst one I can remember! It's 11 degrees out right now!

HouCuseChickie

Thanks! That last day is so bittersweet. My best friend is at the Beach Club with her kids right now so I'm living vicariously through her trip for now! We are definitely going back in two years and I'm already mentally planning that trip!! :)
And if it doesn't warm up for our Spring Break in two weeks, we are taking a last minute trip and driving down to Myrtle Beach. Living near Buffalo, I don't normally complain about the winter, but this winter has been the worst one I can remember! It's 11 degrees out right now!

Yeah- I've seen more complaints about this winter than I've seen in a long time. All of m friends are griping b/c the snow they're seeing in the NJ is nearly as bad as it was during college...and they thought they escaped it! I have a good friend whose daughter is starting college next year and there's a possibility she'll accept Cornell's offer. She's never seen real winter, so I'm trying to prepare her as best that I can. Well, escaping to Myrtle Beach sounds like a nice plan :)

Rach&Eric

Great TR, your family is adorable. I was especially interested because when we go next year, my son will be 3 years and 4 months old so I was curious as to how your daughter would do (I think you said she was 3 right?). So weird they let her on Star Tours (not once, but twice) and not on Soarin'. I'm really crossing my fingers that Lex will be at least 40 inches tall, but we'll have loads of fun even if he's not!

mishel635

Original Poster
Great TR, your family is adorable. I was especially interested because when we go next year, my son will be 3 years and 4 months old so I was curious as to how your daughter would do (I think you said she was 3 right?). So weird they let her on Star Tours (not once, but twice) and not on Soarin'. I'm really crossing my fingers that Lex will be at least 40 inches tall, but we'll have loads of fun even if he's not!

Thanks for reading! I really think she was the perfect age to be honest. I can't wait to go back!!! :)
Hope you guys have a wonderful trip!

Courtney Simmons

Mishel635 would you mind providing me with the info for the Etsy person who did the notes? I have been in process of doing them myself but to find out someone can do them for me and it frees my time up for more planning, then I'm sold! Also, I know it's a been a while since your trip but at 4 this morning I couldn't sleep and stumbled across this and couldn't stop reading! We are taking my daughter in august (just around 40 or so days away...eek!!!) on the day she turns 5 years and we are keeping it a complete secret from her until we arrive at our resort at Art of Animation. My Chloe is a Little Mermaid fan! It has been a complete struggle to plan this entire trip including buying all of her surprise birthday gifts from her favorite characters to be surprised with Dailey, I don't know how I have managed to keep this entire event hidden from her!

mishel635

Original Poster
Mishel635 would you mind providing me with the info for the Etsy person who did the notes? I have been in process of doing them myself but to find out someone can do them for me and it frees my time up for more planning, then I'm sold! Also, I know it's a been a while since your trip but at 4 this morning I couldn't sleep and stumbled across this and couldn't stop reading! We are taking my daughter in august (just around 40 or so days away...eek!!!) on the day she turns 5 years and we are keeping it a complete secret from her until we arrive at our resort at Art of Animation. My Chloe is a Little Mermaid fan! It has been a complete struggle to plan this entire trip including buying all of her surprise birthday gifts from her favorite characters to be surprised with Dailey, I don't know how I have managed to keep this entire event hidden from her!

You must be getting so excited about your trip!!!! Unfortunately, the lady who did my notes is no longer on Etsy! I'm pretty bummed too because she had done another set of invites for me as well and I had planned on ordering more from her in the future! I'm sure if you search Disney invites on Etsy and send a personal message to the shop owners, you can find someone to do a custom order for you. That's what I did for mine.
I hope you have an amazing birthday trip with your daughter! And good luck keeping the secret for her surprise!! It's so hard, but SO worth it!!!!! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom