Comparing Disney to Six Flags makes zero sense

MickeyLuv'r

We might say a wild mouse is a wild mouse is a wild mouse.

Dumbo is a One-Fish-Two-fish-Red-Fish-Blue Fish is a Triceratops Spin is a Hershey's red Baron is a Batcopters is a DW's Leapin' Frog.

ppete1975

We might say a wild mouse is a wild mouse is a wild mouse.

Dumbo is a One-Fish-Two-fish-Red-Fish-Blue Fish is a Triceratops Spin is a Hershey's red Baron is a Batcopters is a DW's Leapin' Frog.
or be like silver dollar city and call it marching elephants...
1623091607345.png

or royal tea party...
1623091713666.png

MickeyLuv'r

Which ones?
Six Flags, Cedar Point, Dutch Wonderland (less), Knott's, Knoebel's, Hershey Park, Kennywood (sometimes), Dollywood, Busch Gardens, Legoland, Sea World.....

They were especially referenced when forum members were discussing COVID safety measures over the past year, but they are also often discussed when comparing attractions and pricing. Often enough, someone that has visited one of the above asks about the comparative intensity of the WDW attractions. Something along the lines of, "My child likes like ride X, but not ride Y at Hershey. Do you think Z ride at Disney will be too intense for my 9 year old child?"

(Though maybe other WDW forums than this one.)

What we rarely see referenced here are the non-USA parks, except the Disney ones.

MickeyLuv'r

Oh, the parks are also compared when talking not just about general pricing (cost per visit), but also the cost of what WDW calls Fastpass, Universal calls Express Pass, and Disneyland calls MaxPass.

If WDW decided to charge for FP 3.0, what pricing model will they use? It is absolutely valid to discuss WDW's options in the context of the entire range of pricing models other entertainment parks use, and how well each might work at the Disney Parks.

brb1006

I will admit that the stage shows/live shows featuring Looney Tunes characters at the Six Flags Parks are either themed to singing or dancing and are executed awkwardly.

However, beginning in the 2000s, their Looney Tunes stage shows manage to stick around much longer compared to the Disney Parks (plus the characters mostly look bored).

The closest Six Flags got to a Disney quality show despite being on cheaper budget was the "Toonite Show With Bugs Bunny" that used to run at Six Flags Great America before getting demolished and replaced with The Dark Knight Coaster.

ppete1975

Six Flags, Cedar Point, Dutch Wonderland (less), Knott's, Knoebel's, Hershey Park, Kennywood (sometimes), Dollywood, Busch Gardens, Legoland, Sea World.....

They were especially referenced when forum members were discussing COVID safety measures over the past year, but they are also often discussed when comparing attractions and pricing. Often enough, someone that has visited one of the above asks about the comparative intensity of the WDW attractions. Something along the lines of, "My child likes like ride X, but not ride Y at Hershey. Do you think Z ride at Disney will be too intense for my 9 year old child?"

(Though maybe other WDW forums than this one.)

What we rarely see referenced here are the non-USA parks, except the Disney ones.
probably because most americans never leave the country... (currently i am one of those sadly).. i dont count mexico which i did as a small kid although i think it was safer then

heres one statistic i found based on 2000 people across the us

-- Eleven percent of survey respondents have never traveled outside of the state where they were born.

-- Over half of those surveyed (54 percent) say they’ve visited 10 states or fewer.

-- As many as 13 percent say they have never flown in an airplane.

-- Forty percent of those questioned said they’ve never left the country.

UNCgolf

probably because most americans never leave the country... (currently i am one of those sadly).. i dont count mexico which i did as a small kid although i think it was safer then

-- Eleven percent of survey respondents have never traveled outside of the state where they were born.

-- Over half of those surveyed (54 percent) say they’ve visited 10 states or fewer.

I think it's less about Americans never leaving the country and more about Americans not traveling to see a theme park. The former is obviously part of it too, but I think a smaller part.

I've been to Europe several times but Disneyland Paris (or any other theme park) has never even been a consideration, even though in an ideal world I'd love to visit it at some point. There are far too many other things I want to experience first -- I spent a week in Paris and could probably spend another two weeks without seeing everything I wanted to see, especially if you're including things doable on a day trip outside the city.

Pepper's Ghost

I think someone would compare a fancy restaurant to the local burger joint if the food at the fancy restaurant was roughly the same as what you got at the burger joint for a much higher price -- that's the only time I've really seen the Disney/Universal and Six Flags comparisons.

If Disney or Universal builds something that looks like it could fit in at a Six Flags, that's a problem for the reasons you mentioned. They have much higher budgets (and costs to the guest) and so should be building something more impressive. I don't take it as a knock on Six Flags, which, as you said, isn't really playing in the same field.

To be completely honest though I think theme park fans generally use six flags as an easy shorthand insult at companies like Disney and universal, for not living up to high expectations. I don't see as much discourse actually expecting or suggesting six flags should change, but perhaps I don't hang out in the right places.
These are the most accurate responses IMO.

To the OP: your subject says "Comparing Disney to Six Flags"... that case is the only time the negative comparison makes sense. Comparing Six Flags to Disney makes zero sense. There's a difference when you switch the words around. With Six Flags you're paying the lower price (comparatively) and you know what you're getting for that price. You expect to be amused. Comparing Disney to Six Flags makes incredible sense when you're insulting Disney which is almost always how I see it done on these boards. Six Flags isn't trying to be Disney, and isn't charging Disney dollars for you to get in, stay on property, etc. DISNEY on the other hand is charging butt-loads of money, but when their product begins to resemble that of Six Flags, that's really bad.

For example, maintenance which is currently being discussed in another thread. Before seeing this thread I almost made this exact comparison. When Six Flag has a ride down, or something isn't working, you kind of accept it. Maybe disappointed, but you mostly understand that you get what you pay for. When Disney has rides with AAs that aren't moving, or parts broken off. Parts of the ride that are just pitch black because whatever they're not lighting isn't working, etc... given the prices... TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE. The Yeti hasn't moved in literally over a decade, and those who've claimed it has are schizophrenic. When I see Disco Yeti, after having seen him in all his glory over a decade ago, I definitely compare Disney to Six Flags in my mind.

I hate paying for a nice juicy steak at an expensive restaurant, but instead get something that I'd rather trade for a McDonalds burger.

Cmdr_Crimson

I never see people comparing Six Flags to Disney, ever.
Clearly you don't know of the "Time Warner Era" of the parks in the mid 90's probably the best time to go Time Warner had a full out plan when they took over in the 90s adding more of the IP's to the park as such did Paramount when they took over many of the parks as well..SF would always mention that it was "Bigger than Disneyland and a whole lot closer."
Like these examples...

Adverts with their infamous catch line..
ca6427c0f9f89f1d3e8587ba17bbdb4f.jpg

SFMM1995Brochure4.jpg

MickeyLuv'r

Still, you'd think maybe a theme park forum webpage would draw fans of global theme parks.

In 2019, 93 million Americans traveled outside the country. Of those 41.8 million flew to overseas destinations.
Europe = 17, 742,258
Asia = 6,252,903
C America = 3,236,733
Middle East = 2,104,107 - that's slightly surprising!

Mexico (excludes day trippers, min of of 1 overnight) = 36,923,011
Canada = 14,341,438
(Source: Dept. of Commerce)

For reference, total USA 2019 population = about 328,200,000.
93million = over 28% of the population traveled outside the USA in just 2019, with 12.7% traveling to overseas destinations.

So maybe this forum actually has a few of them?

MickeyLuv'r

Comparing Disney to Six Flags makes incredible sense when you're insulting Disney which is almost always how I see it done on these boards.
Well, there's this recent thread:

Better collection of theme parks - Florida or California?​

The two recent threads about Fastpass mention other theme parks quite a bit, though not necessarily Six Flags.

FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was​

and

FastPass​

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Making comparison between Disney and six flags makes no sense...agree.

talking about how Disney may disappoint after building things with huge budgets and bloated timelines does make sense. That’s part of their deal.

brb1006

Clearly you don't know of the "Time Warner Era" of the parks in the mid 90's probably the best time to go Time Warner had a full out plan when they took over in the 90s adding more of the IP's to the park as such did Paramount when they took over many of the parks as well..SF would always mention that it was "Bigger than Disneyland and a whole lot closer."
Like these examples...

Adverts with their infamous catch line..
ca6427c0f9f89f1d3e8587ba17bbdb4f.jpg

SFMM1995Brochure4.jpg

Before Mr. Six was introduced, I actually remember seeing so many Six Flags ads and commercials on Cartoon Network around the late 1990s and early 2000s where they decided to aim at the children and family demographic. Especially since Looney Tunes, "Merrie Melodies", and other WB IP (The Animaniacs and Scooby Doo) used to air on CN (before later moving to Boomerang) during that period. Heck, The Looney Tunes were already gaining a new resurgence after the success of Space Jam. Not to mention there was a period where Cartoon Network characters (such as The Powerpuff Girls) were meetable at some Six Flags parks.

I vividly remember visiting Six Flags Great Adventure during the Summer of 2002 since they were promoting the heck out of the first live-action Scooby Doo Film. I clearly remember spotting Yakko, Wakko, and Dot alongside Pinky and The Brain during a parade which also featured other Looney Tunes Characters.

Cmdr_Crimson

Before Mr. Six was introduced, I actually remember seeing so many Six Flags ads and commercials on Cartoon Network around the late 1990s and early 2000s where they decided to aim at the children and family demographic. Especially since Looney Tunes, "Merrie Melodies", and other WB IP (The Animaniacs and Scooby Doo) used to air on CN (before later moving to Boomerang) during that period. Heck, The Looney Tunes were already gaining a new resurgence after the success of Space Jam. Not to mention there was a period where Cartoon Network characters (such as The Powerpuff Girls) were meetable at some Six Flags parks.

I vividly remember visiting Six Flags Great Adventure during the Summer of 2002 since they were promoting the heck out of the first live-action Scooby Doo Film. I clearly remember spotting Yakko, Wakko, and Dot alongside Pinky and The Brain during a parade which also featured other Looney Tunes Characters.

Having been "Good Friends" with Bugs it was an honor to represent the park I resided..😁

brb1006

Having been "Good Friends" with Bugs it was an honor to represent the park I resided..😁
Speaking of my visit to Six Flags in 2002, I remember seeing Lola Bunny standing on a bus alongside Bugs Bunny and actually blew a party horn which shot confetti into the crowd. I don't know the name of that specific parade, but I remember the parade was energetic. I also vividly remember spotting Scooby and Scrappy during that parade.

While I wasn't able to meet Bugs and Lola (I remember walking past them as they wandered around the fountain area as pictured below), I do remember meeting Porky Pig alongside his girlfriend Petunia Pig somewhere around the Looney Tunes area.
4925672938_7b33e9a5a2_b.jpg

I'll never forgot leaving the park and my parents stopped by some of their relatives on the way back home. I encountered a kid who was playing Pokemon on his Gameboy Color (possibly Pokemon Red, Blue, or Yellow).

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

Speaking of my visit to Six Flags in 2002, I remember seeing Lola Bunny standing on a bus alongside Bugs Bunny and actually blew a party horn which shot confetti into the crowd. I don't know the name of that specific parade, but I remember the parade was energetic. I also vividly remember spotting Scooby and Scrappy during that parade.

While I wasn't able to meet Bugs and Lola (I remember walking past them as they wandered around the fountain area as pictured below), I do remember meeting Porky Pig alongside his girlfriend Petunia Pig somewhere around the Looney Tunes area.
4925672938_7b33e9a5a2_b.jpg

I'll never forgot leaving the park and my parents stopped by some of their relatives on the way back home. I encountered a kid who was playing Pokemon on his Gameboy Color (possibly Pokemon Red, Blue, or Yellow).
My park had the former Camp Cartoon Network area which besides had Scooby we had Norville "S" Rogers, Fred, Barney, Astro and George Jetson...at one point we were to get the Banana Splits band before CN started to drop their contract with the park..We also had Instant Martians, and The Animaniacs as well...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom