Compared to WDW, what should I expect?

Boba Fett

Original Poster
I've posted something similar to this in another thread (that I hope more people would have commented on :( ), but it will be our first time visiting Disneyland Resort this September. Being accustomed to WDW for over 20 years, I have a preset notion of what the 2 parks, the hotel, DTD and the whole experience in general will be like.

Are there any tips or suggestions that you could give a DL first timer? How is the overall atmosphere different from that of WDW?

Also, any suggestions for dining, hotel preferences, attractions, shows or anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed the DL section of this site doesn't get as much love, so is there a good DL fan site anyone can reccomend for my questions as well?

SeaCastle

I've posted something similar to this in another thread (that I hope more people would have commented on :( ), but it will be our first time visiting Disneyland Resort this September. Being accustomed to WDW for over 20 years, I have a preset notion of what the 2 parks, the hotel, DTD and the whole experience in general will be like.

Are there any tips or suggestions that you could give a DL first timer? How is the overall atmosphere different from that of WDW?

Also, any suggestions for dining, hotel preferences, attractions, shows or anything you can think of would be greatly appreciated.

I noticed the DL section of this site doesn't get as much love, so is there a good DL fan site anyone can reccomend for my questions as well?

I was a five-time WDW visitor before I visited WDW, so I was in a similar situation as you.

We stayed at the Grand Californian for easy access into both parks, since we were only there for two and a half days. The hotel was great, but not totally on-par with WDW resorts. The Disneyland Hotel is amidst an extensive renovation project, and I haven't heard fantastic things about the Paradise Pier Hotel.

It will probably require at least three days to see all of the two parks. The atmosphere is much more busy - you have few areas that are filled with dead space, as they need to fit the maximum amount of attractions into minimum space. What results is a hodgepodge and never-ending stream of entertainment, though there are plenty of "quiet spots".

There is plenty of stuff to do in both parks, so a park hopping option would probably be your best bet. DCA is just across the Esplanade, making for easy access. I would also recommend making reservations for Blue Bayou at Disneyland and Storytellers at the Grand Californian, as I frequently hear great things about both eateries. Disneyland has a fine assortment of eateries as well. There are also many attractions you cannot otherwise experience at WDW, including Pinocchio's Daring Journey, the Matterhorn (which is grossly oversold in my opinion), Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, the Submarine Voyage, Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln, and the Indiana Jones Adventure, which vies with Tower of Terror for the #1 best Imagineering creation of the modern age. DCA has a Tower of Terror, but I hear that it's inferior to the WDW version.]

Disneyland generally has better maintenance than WDW, and the theming, especially in Fantasyland, is a lot more cohesive. Most WDW versions of Disneyland originals such as Pirates of the Caribbean are regarded as inferior to their predecessors, and in some cases this is true. However, you're best off visiting Disneyland with the mentality that this is NOT Disney World. I approached with an open mind and was impressed and had a great time. Yet, it still doesn't have the "magic" that WDW has for me. I can't really explain why, but I didn't get the same feeling walking down DL's Main Street as I do at WDW.

It's also worth it to keep in mind that WDW is a true resort, cut off from the rest of the world by the use of forests and undeveloped wilderness as buffers. At Disneyland, when you're in the park you feel like you're in another world, but a venture outside the gates and it becomes apparent that you're surrounded by American suburbia. There's no real sense that you're somewhere special when you leave the park, a characteristic that WDW doesn't have.

Overall, I could sum it up like this. Disneyland is not Disney World. Disney World is not Disneyland. A lot of fans on both sides have yet to come to terms with this fact. If you go in with an open mind you will have a splendid time and enjoy tons of things that you can't experience at WDW, from live entertainment, New Orleans Square, aesthetics, and attractions. You won't have the same feeling that the Disneyland Resort is its own resort, but it shouldn't stop you from having the time of your life.

For what it's worth, my first visit was in June 2009. We're planning a trip for 2012-2013 once the DCA Phase One expansion is complete. As for other forums, I've been hardpressed to find a great Disneyland forum. I participate occasionally on MiceChat, but I'm not sure how conducive it will be for your purposes.

DisneyJoe

To me, Disneyland was a little bit of deja vu, but not...things will seem familiar at times, but then you will see that they are different.

California Adventure was a good experience.

Everything is so close together, its very cozy - even DTD is right there.

Keep an open mind and you will be fine.

Boba Fett

Original Poster
wow thanks so much, those answers were so informative! I will definitely be making reservations for Blue Bayou and the other one you mentioned... probably as many as possible. I am going for about 5 days (give each park 2 days to hopefully do rides we like twice or more), staying either 3 or 4 nights at Disneyland Hotel (its a little cheaper and I heard the refurbs will be complete mostly by then). However I am going to try to sell the Grand Californian to the wife (she is not enthused with the Wilderness Lodge style too much). Either way, I will keep an open mind.

I am more excited for this trip than any WDW trip, just because of the "new" attractions that I am missing from the Disney universe. We have been talking about PDJ, AiW, Indy, MHMt, and all those rides for weeks! I am also looking forward to California Screamin, the wooden coaster. How was that ride?

I am not going to "dump" WDW, since my best memories have always been there. But due to the maintenance, variety and theming of Disneyland, I will probably find myself booking many more trips to California in the future.

Mukta

I am excited that you are coming to visit this coast!

The whole Disneyland resort will seem really small to you. Things are very close together and can seemed cramped at times compared to WDW.
There are more attractions, don't miss the small ones. Something small like Storybook Canal boats may not seem special, but it is very detailed and unique.
The hotels all feel like moderate level to me. The locations are great though.
The parks havea lot of great detail. There is a nighttime light show in Pixie Hollow, the queen appearing in the window of Snow White, etc. The little things make the park special.
The crowds are mostly locals, so it is a different feel. People aren't in vacation mode, they are in evening entertainment mode.
4 days is a great amount of time. See every attraction even if it doesn't seem like it will appeal to you. You might be surpised.
Have fun! I hope you will enjoy your trip and come back to this coast time and time again.

Boba Fett

Original Poster
Thanks much for the links, I will check them out!

I can't wait to experience it all! Dang September just get here already!!!

How is the temperature and weather generally in September in Anaheim?

TP2000

Already lots of great advice here in this thread! I hope you are taking notes. :D

The thing about Disneyland (or Tokyo or Paris) compared to WDW is that it's compact and very walkable. I always suggest folks do a Google Map thing and check out the Resort area that way to get a feel for the place before you arrive. But pictures like this do a pretty good job of explaining how compact and tidy the Disneyland Resort is.
Disneyland_and_California_Adventure_Park.jpg

And yet at the same time, there are nearly as many attractions packed into Disneyland and DCA than there are in all four WDW combined. I think the important thing to focus on is to try and do as many attractions as possible that only exist at Disneyland. Here's the list of Disneyland and DCA rides/attractions that don't exist (or are a few months away from being torn down) at Walt Disney World;

Disneyland Park

Fantasyland
Matterhorn Boblseds
Alice In Wonderland
Pinnochio's Daring Journey
Mr. Toad's Wild Ride
StorybookLand Canal Boats
Casey Jr. Circus Train
Snow White's Scary Adventure
Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough Tour

Mickey's Toontown
Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin
Mickey's House/Movie Barn

Tomorrowland
Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
Disneyland Monorail

Frontierland
Big Thunder Ranch Petting Zoo
Sailing Ship Columbia
Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island (don't miss the caves!)

Adventureland
Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (original 1963 show)
Indiana Jones Adventure
Tarzan's Treehouse

Critter Country
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes

Main Street USA
Disneyland Story featuring Great Moments With Mr. Lincoln
Main Street Cinema
Disney Gallery

Disney California Adventure Park

California Screamin'
Mickey's Fun Wheel
Goofy's Sky School
Little Mermaid - Ariel's Undersea Adventure
Disney Animation (the lobby alone is fantastic)
Hyperion Theater and Aladdin stage show
Monsters Inc. Mike & Sulley To The Rescue!
Grizzly River Run
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail
Golden Zephyr
Silly Symphony Swings
Jumpin' Jellyfish
Blue Sky Cellar Preview Center
Heimlich's Chew Chew Train
Flik's Flyers
Francis' Ladybug Boogie
Tuck N' Roll's Drive 'Em Buggies

Then there are about 25 additional Disneyland/DCA rides that exist in various forms at Walt Disney World. There are quite a few that are nearly identical except for differences in the queues or pre-show lobby areas, stuff like; MuppetVision, Soarin', Bugs Life, Star Tours, Big Thunder Mountain, Peter Pan's Flight, etc. However, there's a list of rides that are different enough at Disneyland that you'll want to do the Disneyland version to see what is often the first version of something that was built before the clone in WDW appeared. The list of significantly, noticeably different attractions at Disneyland you'll want to get to is;

Pirates of the Caribbean
Haunted Mansion
Splash Mountain
The Many Adventures of Winnie The Pooh
Jungle Cruise
Mark Twain Riverboat
Space Mountain
Autopia
Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
Disneyland Railroad thru Grand Canyon Diorama and Primeval World
Tower of Terror

Then there's entertainment, which is widely thought to be superior at Disneyland compared to WDW. Four things you'll want to see;

Fantasmic! (vastly better than the WDW version)
World of Color (check out the dining packages, a great way to secure a good view for the show http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneys-california-adventure/world-of-color/dining/ )
Soundsational, the new Disneyland parade
Remember Dreams Come True fireworks

Are you coming in late September? Disneyland's Halloween season usually starts the middle of September, and I'd bet two churros that all the Halloween stuff will begin Friday, September 16th. If you go after the 16th you'll get to do Space Mountain Ghost Galaxy and Haunted Mansion Holiday! If you go in the first half of September you'll hit rehabs for both those rides, and no real Halloween decor.

Dining? Don't miss the Blue Bayou inside Pirates of the Caribbean. Wine Country Trattoria is great for the World of Color package. Plaza Inn or French Market are great for the Buffeteria option, something that doesn't exist any more in WDW parks. In Downtown Disney I recommend Catal or Ralph Brennan's Jazz Kitchen for great non-Disney meals. And the Napa Rose at the Grand Californian is one of the top restaurants in SoCal, and often thought to be the best restaurant in the Disney empire.

As for other Disneyland communities, you might want to check out Miceage's community Micechat, found on the http://www.miceage.com front page.

So, um, what else do we need to cover here? :lol:

Disneyfanman

As a multiple visit vet of both resorts, I think the notes on this page are the best that I have ever seen on the differences in the locations. The best advice captured is to realize that the resorts are very different and that you will enjoy DLR much more if you have an open mind. DLR IS landlocked in suburbia (something you wont feel when in the parks, but will as soon as you leave). Disneyland feels so much smaller in scope due to its size and similar attendance. Also so many more attractions are packed in there. To me it always feels more energized and less relaxing.

Nighttime at DLR, particularly on Fridays and Saturdays is unbelievably fun and energizing....... if you don't mind the crowds. Swing dancing, bands playing, a much better fantasmic (the difference is even greater in recent years due to upgrades at DLR), and really amazing fireworks. It feels to me like a giant party every time that I go, and they do it every high attendance evening. I haven't seen World of Color yet (other than on the computer) but I can't wait to go!

And when DCA wraps up its phase 1 expansion........wow.

There are a few things that DL does really well that will surprise you. Peter Pan, for example, is the same ride but with upgraded effects that are enchanting. You won't be able to ride it at WDW again without wondering why they haven't done the same thing. Pirates is almost twice as long at DLR. Space mountain is a completely different experience. Others, like the Haunted Mansion, are shorter (by almost 2 minutes) and have become a little different (not better or worse) over time.

Have a wonderful time.

Boba Fett

Original Poster
Wow what an awesome plethora of information! Yes I am taking notes, this has been the most helpful thread ever for me. I have told my wife many times that we will be hitting ALL the attractions, even the same ones as WDW, just to see the minor differences... and hey, you pay for a ticket so might as well get the full value for it ya know?

One question for the above response, what exactly is "Buffeteria" style of dining?

Other than that, I don't have more questions since it looks like its all been covered... but I will keep an eye out on this thread for another member's spin on the parks :)

LM 2010

I think it's important to go in with an open mind and try to enjoy each one for what they are. I grew up in California and didn't go to WDW until my late teens. I love them both, but am probably a little partial to DL. I would agree with the poster above that said walking down Main Street isn't quite the same at DL and its probably because the castle is so much smaller, but its the original so that is cool and you can go in it! The resort isn't seperated from the city like WDW so that is different too, but it is great to have both parks and DTD within walking distance. I would say that TDA is much better at maintainace than TDO. DL sparkles everywhere you look. There are rides there that are not in WDW so I think those will be really enjoyable to you. Is the Mattahorn overrated? Yes but it looks beautiful and is fun. I think that Fantasyland is just magic after dark in DL and I don't think WDW's can hold a candle to it (at this point). Like others have said you have to go to the Blue Bayou! For the attractions that are at both parks some are better at DL and some at WDW, it just depends. If you can stay on property I would because once you leave the resort you are right on Harbor Blvd and it looses the Disney feeling. DCA is getting a lot better but there are construction walls everywhere, but if you are there after May the pier will be finished and the new resturants and TLM will be open. Make sure you see Aladdin because it's really good. Have fun!!

Boba Fett

Original Poster
DCA is getting a lot better but there are construction walls everywhere, but if you are there after May the pier will be finished and the new resturants and TLM will be open.

So the refurbs to DCA around the pier will definitely be completed by September? I am just verifiying so I know what to look forward too (which would be awesome to see the most complete park!)

Will Star Tours 2.0 at DL be complete in May also?

The Little Mermaid, Goofy's Sky School, the completed pier refurbishment (2 new restaurants, shops and paradise park) and in DL the new Star tours and new parade will all be up and running for your trip in Sep as well as all the other great rides and shows. We were there last Oct and had planned to go to WDW this yearfor 40th but had such a good time we have booked to go back last week in Sep this year again. If you like character breakfasts i would recommend the Story Tellers breakfast as the best at the resort and it has some unusual characters such as Turk from Tarzan and Koda from Brother Bear. Hope you grow to love DL as much as WDW its a fantastic resort and has Walts touch to make it that bit more special. Have fun!

TP2000

One question for the above response, what exactly is "Buffeteria" style of dining?

Since Disneyland doesn't do a Dining Plan like WDW, or at least anything even close to WDW's style of super-structured, reservations-required theme park dining, Disneyland still has the 1960's Walt era concept of "Buffeterias". They are a step up in quality and price from the fast food restaurants, but not as expensive as the waiter-service places, and you just walk in without a reservation.

The French Market in New Orleans Square is a good example, and a favorite of many. It's in the corner of New Orleans Square with a big patio.

3547517529_e0c15dddba_z.jpg

Plantation Citrus Chicken - A French Market specialty! Succulently Roasted Chicken Breast, seasoned with Citrus and Cajun spices. With "Market" Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables and Cheddar Corn Bread. $13.49

Roast Beef Royalé - Slow-roasted, generously sliced, and served with Cognac Peppercorn Jus. With "Market" Smashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables and Cheddar Corn Bread. $13.49

Seafood & Chicken Jambalaya - A Savory Medley of Creole Rice, Zucchini, Carrots, Bell Peppers, Okra, and Tomato. Then, it's given a N'awlins "kick" with regional herbed and spiced Shrimp, Crawfish, Andouille Sausage and Cajun Chicken. With Seasonal Vegetables and Cheddar Corn Bread. $12.49

Herb & Garlic Salmon Creole - Herb & Garlic Salmon Fillet, served on a bed of Wild Rice and Roasted Corn drizzled with a Fennel and Tomato Broth. With Seasonal Vegetables and Cheddar Corn Bread. $13.99

Four-Cheese Pasta & Vegetable Gratin - A creamy blend of Cheddar, Smoked Gouda, Provolone and Asiago surrounding tender pasta and smooth, subtle bites of Shiitake Mushroom and Cauliflower Florets topped with Seasonal Breadcrumbs. Oven-baked to a golden finish. With Seasonal Vegetables and Cheddar Corn Bread. $12.49

Dixieland Cajun Chicken Salad - Cajun Breast of Chicken, Roasted Corn, Peppers, Onion, Black-Eyed Peas, Avocado, and Tomato - atop a crisp bed of Romaine, Arugula and Frisee Lettuce. With a zesty "Louisiana" vinaigrette and Cheddar Corn Bread. $11.99

Chowder & Salad Duet - Our signature Clam Chowder, piping hot in a Boudin Sourdough Bread Boule, with our Garden Salad. $11.99

Garden Salad - $3.99

You walk in and pick up a tray and slide along and choose from a handful of surprisingly delicious Southern themed salads, entrees and sides that are prepared for you by CM's on the other side of the counter. The food is served on china with real silverware instead of plastic fast food containers. The French Market also serves the famous Southern drink, a Mint Julep (non-alcoholic version). You get to the end with your full tray and pay the cashier. Don't spill the Julep!

french-market1.jpg
DL-last-days-300-1.jpg

Then you take your tray out to the patio and find a table. There's a small bandstand, and they do a great job of having a live jazz band out there playing while you dine. There are bussers and CM's to assist on the patio, but it's not full-scale waiter service.

126257190_32f47b479d_z.jpg

So there you've had a good sit-down meal, you didn't need to worry about a reservation (they don't even exist), and you enjoyed a pleasant themed environment with live entertainment for a bit less than the waiter-service places. Only at Disneyland!

The same basic buffeteria concept is also found at Rancho Del Zocalo and Riverbelle Terrace in Frontierland, the fabulously lavish Plaza Inn on Main Street USA, and Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland.

You'll also find a great many more outdoor dining areas at Disneyland than WDW. That's due to the far more enjoyable Southern California climate, and you'll see outdoor loading areas and ride tracks at many attractions that they could never get away with in WDW's rainy, humid climate. Outdoor patio dining is rampant at Disneyland because of that, compared to the climate-controlled sealed dining rooms in WDW.

LM 2010

So the refurbs to DCA around the pier will definitely be completed by September? I am just verifiying so I know what to look forward too (which would be awesome to see the most complete park!)

Will Star Tours 2.0 at DL be complete in May also?

September is a great time to go! Paradise Pier will be finished so hopefully you will only have major construction happening on Buena Vista Street and Cars Land. If you are going later in the month then the Haunted Mansion will have the Nightmare Before Christmas overlay which is so cute and mixes things up. Also if they do it again Space Mountain will have the ghost gallexy overlay which was really cool too!

greebomusic

We leave for Disneyland on Sunday and have to say that this thread is the most informative I've read! Thanks to all that have contributed and to the original poster for asking! Can't wait to get out there!

I do have one question.... I have friends that live out there that I will be meeting for drinks in Downtown Disney. Any suggestions and where to go for decent priced beer and snacks?

wdwmom2+1

I love all the info on here! we are very seasoned WDW visitors and are making the trek to disneyland this year (in 5 weeks!!!) and are excited but didn't know what to expect. I was happy to see this post and all the answers!! THanks again!!

TP2000

I do have one question.... I have friends that live out there that I will be meeting for drinks in Downtown Disney. Any suggestions and where to go for decent priced beer and snacks?

If it's during the day or not cold at night, Catal's Uva Bar, right in the middle of Downtown Disney. They have good bar food brought down from Catal, and a decent cocktail menu and good beer selection.

UVA2.jpg

If you want to be indoors, the ESPNZone at the far end of Downtown Disney just past the monorail station has several options for grabbing a beer. During peak meal times though it can be crowded and you have to wait to get in.

1926812-Disneyland-Anaheim.jpg

LM 2010

I do have one question.... I have friends that live out there that I will be meeting for drinks in Downtown Disney. Any suggestions and where to go for decent priced beer and snacks?[/QUOTE]

Like the poster above said, Catal is really good. It's right in the middle of DTD so it is a lot of fun. There is also a House of Blues and a nice wine bar in the the Grand California.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom