Communicore Backstage Magic - Still There?

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Original Poster
OK, so I'm all geeked up by a blog I just read about the former Communicore in EPCOT Center. I remember it vividly as a kid because it was my first look "backstage" in the form of something called Backstage Magic. It was a room full of computers that supposedly ran the entire park. So if I was really looking at the actual computers that ran the park, I would guess it would be very costly to move that room.

SOOOO, is that room full of computers still there? I'm guessing there's still room behind Guest Relations and Innoventions. Does anyone know? Thanks.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Computer Central is still there - though most of the parks attraction controls are decentralised now I believe. DACS still runs the day to day park tasks from there, and the viewing balcony is still intact too - used for storage. Typical.

brkgnews

If you're interested in the geeky half of EPCOT, might I suggest "Building a Better Mouse" by Steve Alcorn. It's available on amazon and lulu. Steve was an electrical engineering guy at EPCOT, meaning they built a ton of the computer stuff that runs the park (or at least did run it, before the decentralizing that Martin mentioned).

Jerm

Martin,

I know in one of your videos you went over all the stuff from the old E.P.C.O.T. Center stuff, but I can't remember the set up. Do you have one of your handy dandy little maps to show us where it was?

J

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin,

I know in one of your videos you went over all the stuff from the old E.P.C.O.T. Center stuff, but I can't remember the set up. Do you have one of your handy dandy little maps to show us where it was?

J
You mean Communicore, or Computer Central specifically? Handy dandy map.... I like that :lol:

Texas84

I forgot who sponsored that. Anybody remember? Unisys maybe? As an older DEC geek, I thought it was funny to look behind the sponsor's logo and see all of the DEC stuff.

Texas84

Found a pic. Lot's of hits from Google.

631a2270.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The full video for Backstage Magic is in my SSE 86 and Communicore ultimate tribute, available from the normal sources ;)

Astuter Computer Revue was sponsored by Sperry Univac, later Sperry (Corporate name changing) and finally Unisys sponsored Backstage Magic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
How high up is the balcony?

Also.... is the 'EPCOT Poll' area still there?
The highest row in the balcony was about 22ft above true ground level.

From what I recall (I have a lot of work to do in October!) the Futurechoice Theatre area - at least the audience level - was swallowed up by Mouse Gear. in 1998-9.

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Original Poster
If you're interested in the geeky half of EPCOT, might I suggest "Building a Better Mouse" by Steve Alcorn. It's available on amazon and lulu. Steve was an electrical engineering guy at EPCOT, meaning they built a ton of the computer stuff that runs the park (or at least did run it, before the decentralizing that Martin mentioned).

Steve's a good guy! I took his online theme park engineer course. Tried to meet him a couple times at trade shows to no avail. He even gave me some leads on how to get an interview with Disney. I'll have to check his book out. Thanks for the tip!

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Original Poster
From what I recall (I have a lot of work to do in October!) the Futurechoice Theatre area - at least the audience level - was swallowed up by Mouse Gear. in 1998-9.

You're correct. Mousegear takes up that whole building now. Now sure if anything remains upstairs but the ground floor is all MG.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You're correct. Mousegear takes up that whole building now. Now sure if anything remains upstairs but the ground floor is all MG.
I thought the original east corridor of CCore SE - the part that held the temporary Centorium in `99 - was currently walled off and unused? As I said, I have a lot of geeky work to do in October :D

Hoop Raeb

Formerly known as...
Original Poster
I can double check the next time I go but what's showing on the map (on the previous page of this thread) as the Centorium and Electronic Forum are all gobbled up by MG now.

MythBuster

Central is still there. All the wiring and controls are still there, but they are just as a backup now. All the SCU's (Show Control Units) were moved to each pavilion as well as the audio. But the area BGM and other areas are still controlled from there. All the WS controls are still there, even though everything got moved to Mexico, but it goes from Mexico back to central then out to WS.

In fact, the Epcot model used for Backstage Magic is still up there.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Is there really a model of Epcot up there?? !! How was it used in the show?
It was spotlit and illuminated as Julie, the host, described how the parks infrastructure communicated. The first pic shows some of the animated fibre optic comms lines that moved across the model (yellow dots):

Attachments

• Backstage Magic EPCOT model CU.jpg
    Backstage Magic EPCOT model CU.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 288
  • Backstage Magic EPCOT model wide.jpg
    Backstage Magic EPCOT model wide.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 278

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom