Comcast Likely to Keep Disney Theme Parks

sjnichol

Theme parks will go!!

Being an former employee of Comcast and having spoken with friends in management, I can tell you that the theme parks will be sold off if this takeover happens. Comcast is only interested in the media portions of Disney (ABC, ESPN, Studios, Radio, Disney Channel etc..) which leaves the theme parks and properties out. Comcast has no interest in the theme parks and resorts. Their goal is to be the largest media company in the world and this move will make it happen.

This would be a terrible thing, if it does happen. WDW and other Disney properties will never be the same.

Welcome to Six Flags over Orlando Resort. :( :( :(

DSpear456

If I had a choice between Eisner & a Comcast buyout, I'd go with Eisner all the way. I'm not confident in another company owning Disney. The fact that Comcast has to say that they are "likely" to keep the parks is rather frightening. If this merger went through, I wouldnt be suprised to see a radical change in the ways of Disney, all in effort for executives of Comcast to make a larger profit. Comcast claims that they can revitalize the Disney image. I dont see how much further they can really take it. I fear that their sole interest is in the rights to ABC & the various channels, especially EPSN, to add to their own cable lineup. I dont think this merger will go through(especially at the price they're asking), and I dont think Eisner has much time left. But by all means, I'd rather see Eisner at the helm than seeing Disney owned by another company.

JBSLJames

I guess we will all have to wait and see how this thing plays out.

If they do succesfully merge and later sell off the "Parks", that could still be good or bad. Now, P&G is known as a family brand and if they bought Disney, you would have Charmin and Safeguard in every restroom, Folgers in every coffee house, Depends in every restaurant :lol:

Still it may be good or bad. I know that the cleanliness and upkeep at Kings Island has gone down since Paramount purchased the park, but ride quality and overall value has increased (more things to do with minimal cost increase).

PKI is pretty great, all things considered (pass holder for over 10 years).

Tom

Beta Return
If Comcast buys Disney, I'll boycott both. I'll burn my Comcast Digital Cable Box, and drop the ashes on Comcast-Kingdom, HAHA.

Heck, even now, Comcast doesn't carry the Travel Channel, which is where all the Disney Shows are played...and you have to pay for the Disney Channel!

I think Roy has an ace up his sleeve on this one....I don't think we have to worry. And if it did go through, Comcast would be ignorant to do anything to the parks but make them better, and provide some financial backing.

Tim G

Originally posted by edwardtc
I think Roy has an ace up his sleeve on this one...
Yep! It's called ComCast... I wouldn't be surprised if he thinks, If I can't have it, noone will.
The advantage for him would be, Disney sold, Eisner gone...
I really woudn't be surprised :D

NashvilleMouse

I am scared to have Comcast buy Disney. I have had to deal with poor customer service and high rates with Comcast. (I know, it is probably just the person I dealt with and Comcast would be different with Disney, etc. etc.) I do not mind a company sponsering a ride... but I would HATE to see Comcast advertisements at the front gate and ALL OVER the park. I have a bad feeling about it. To me Disney is the king of all kings. ... to be owned by a cable company just ruins a good magical image. :mad:

CrackerJack

Now they can rename that wire that comes from Cinderella's castle the "Official Comcast Cable of Cinderella's Castle".

Even Cindy prefers the convenience of Comcast cable over that annoying satellite dish. :lol:

meanmice

I think Roy has an ace up his sleeve on this one....

Something doesn't seem right here. 66 billion for the whole company? why doesn't that number seem right? it sounds a little high if you consider that the parks are only worth 18 total and they're a big part of the company. If Roy is in on this it wouldn't that be considered shady buisness? Something's not gellin right... I'm concerned, but not greatly

reintroduced ride

If You Had High Speed Internet
Mr Toads Wild Ride on Fiber Optic Cable

meanmice

Just heard CNN talking about this. They said that Comcast would most likely not keep the parks and that to gain the shareholders they would have to raise their price. Also, they mentioned not to count Eisner out because he is a fighter and then they mentioned past buisnesses he has worked with.

NashvilleMouse

Originally posted by meanmice
Just heard CNN talking about this. They said that Comcast would most likely not keep the parks and that to gain the shareholders they would have to raise their price. Also, they mentioned not to count Eisner out because he is a fighter and then they mentioned past buisnesses he has worked with.

When you say "not keep the parks" you do not mean theu would shut them down, right? There would be riots. (FCC wouldn't allow it) Would they sell them to someone else?

brisem

Originally posted by NashvilleMouse
When you say "not keep the parks" you do not mean theu would shut them down, right? There would be riots. (FCC wouldn't allow it) Would they sell them to someone else?

What could happen is Comcast keeps the Media--Radio, cable and ABC. Which is where the value is to Comcast.

Then they sell off the Parks to say Universal for $18b and then Universal owns and runs the Park.

JBSLJames

Okay. Who Owns a Crystal Ball?

Someone call Madame Onlytimewilltella.

The ball is moving. Can Disney, like Indiana Jones, get out of the way?

SirGoofy

I really don't know what to ththink on this. All I've heard are conflicting reporst:they'll keep the parks, or they won't. All I have to say is this: Keep your arms and legs inside the company, and please don't get up until the vehicle has com to a complete stop. This is gonna be one heck of a ride.

LadyDarling

It's great to see you guys pulling together and sticking with Disney as it is on this one.

Let's just hope me and my fellow share holders have a say! :) It's not just about increasing my stock. I didn't buy it to be rich. I bought it to have a voice that can be heard!
~J. Darling

I have been reading several papers and web sites on this subject today here in canada and you're not going to like what I've read and what I'm reading between the lines.

First, Disney owns still as far as I know the Mighty Ducks, and ComCast owns Philedelphia Flyers (sorry if wrong spelling). The National Hockey League I doubt would allow a company to own both. This has been confirmed in an article I read. I believe in the Toronto Star. So one of those teams would be sold, most likely the Mighty Ducks since Disney was already trying to sell them. This does not bother me, although I don't know how this might effect the Mighty Duck area in the All Star Movies, along with Disney's rights to another sequel to the Mighty Ducks movies among other television shows.

Second, Disney also owns 33% of TSN, Canada's largest sports television network. This is something else ComCast would be interested in keeping if and only if, they want to be like New Corp and be a global media power. From what I read and heard about this Roberts, he is very ambitous to be bigger than TimeWarner and is interested in short term gains, I will get back to this later. The company that onlys the rest of TSN is considering selling in the next few years so this could get interesting.

I also read that ComCast will keep the majority of Disney's assets and most likely the name for aprroximately two to three years. If at that point, they are not making money on the theme parks, and some of the networks, exclusing ESPN, and ABC, then they will be sold off to the highest bidder. Some speculation was it would be Universal but I don't know if regulations would allow the two biggest theme parks to merge and Vivendi is all ready not really interested in the theme parks they all ready own, so I doubt this would happen.

Sorry for the lengthy read I'm almost done.

Some analysts here in Canada at least have some sense to see what ComCast is doing by saying that they will bring the Disney magic back. They are saying this to get the shareholders trust and win over some of Eisners supporters and Disney fans. I agree with this and said it on an early thread.

There were many other points I came across but I have to go do some homework. I'll try to post them later. It is safe to say that the theme parks are going to get the short end of the stick in the long run.:cry:

cloudboy

How is Comcast any different than Disney now? They are both media giants - both own lots of other media companies. It's more who is managing than anything else.

As far as names go, I don't think you are going to see any Comcast's Walt Diney World - Comcast simply doesn't have the marketability in their name for that regardless of how it would effect the recognition of the Disney name.

In fact, if you look at Brian Roberts motives - I think he is personally more interested in just being somehow involved in running Disney than he really is about making money off of the deal. Don't forget he has a former Disney VP working for him. I woudn't be surprised at all if this turns out to be a team effort with Roy Disney to get control back of Disney.

I have a big hunch that this may be a good thing.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom