College Programers - Good or Bad?

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Since moving here I've realized that the CP is more kids that think "Dude! Living at Disney will be like totally awesome, it'll be so easy and we'll just party all the time." Rather than the people like us that are big fans, or even just casual fans, they are only there to party and goof off.

I just quit a job that was located next to Vista Way so I met a lot of the kids that were just coming in. I'm not saying all of the CPers are like this, but 90% of them are the non-fan, party kids. Recently it seems when I go to the parks the CMs are a lot less knowledgeable about their attractions and I figure it is because most of them are the type of CPers I just mentioned. In the past I'd be able to go up to a CM and ask him something about his attraction ("where's the Hidden Mickey I heard about?", "how fast does this go?", etc.) and they'd know 99% of the time. Now days it seems like they are just working any other job and aren't the magical CMs that we all know and love. I know with it being the beginning of the year a lot of the kids are new, but only the past couple of years have seemed bad around this time.

I love how fans and passionate kids can come in and do the CP but I hate how most of them are here for the wrong reasons. What are your thoughts on the College Program?

MainSt1993

Vista "Lay" is probably not the most shining example of WDW's CP. Keep in mind there are also wellness residential dormatories that completely ban alcohol. Disney is a wonderful place to work, as long as you're their for the right reasons. If any of the reasons you are there include sentences like "It will be fun" period without adding something like "creating unique entertainment experiences for our guests," they're going to fail fast and hard. The two toughest job BY FAR that I've ever held were Disney and the US House of Representatives. Any illusions of it being "a Mickey Mouse job" quickly disintegrate the first time you get dressed down by a rightfully irate guest. And it will happen on your first shift. Mine was my *very* first guest. Funny - I still remember the interaction, word for word.

I volunteer as an educator at the Smithsonian Institute, and every so often a high school aged kid will start talking to me offline about how to get to work in Washington, DC. My advice varies depending on what their specific intrests and goals are, but one thing remains consistent: do the College Program in Florida or California.

The good thing about the CP is that it makes it easy and safe for a young adult to temporarily relocate to get this invaluable experience. During it, you'll make lifelong friends, and build a professional foundation of all the intangible "soft skills" that aren't taught in traditional classrooms. Disney parks and resorts are tremendous laboratories to hone these skills, as you interact and work with one of the most diverse demographics that could possibly be assembled.

wannabeBelle

Vista "Lay" is probably not the most shining example of WDW's CP. Keep in mind there are also wellness residential dormatories that completely ban alcohol. Disney is a wonderful place to work, as long as you're their for the right reasons. If any of the reasons you are there include sentences like "It will be fun" period without adding something like "creating unique entertainment experiences for our guests," they're going to fail fast and hard. The two toughest job BY FAR that I've ever held were Disney and the US House of Representatives. Any illusions of it being "a Mickey Mouse job" quickly disintegrate the first time you get dressed down by a rightfully irate guest. And it will happen on your first shift. Mine was my *very* first guest. Funny - I still remember the interaction, word for word.

I volunteer as an educator at the Smithsonian Institute, and every so often a high school aged kid will start talking to me offline about how to get to work in Washington, DC. My advice varies depending on what their specific intrests and goals are, but one thing remains consistent: do the College Program in Florida or California.

The good thing about the CP is that it makes it easy and safe for a young adult to temporarily relocate to get this invaluable experience. During it, you'll make lifelong friends, and build a professional foundation of all the intangible "soft skills" that aren't taught in traditional classrooms. Disney parks and resorts are tremendous laboratories to hone these skills, as you interact and work with one of the most diverse demographics that could possibly be assembled.

Wow..........What a great posting!!! Belle

jmani56

I stayed at Vista Way and it was pretty bad lol. Most of the kids were partiers but each had a pretty good reason for being there. Even the partiers had some love for Disney. Some kids had never been to Disney before and were really overwhelmed. Some were interested in Disney to get a head start in theater, management, etc. In their defense, a love for Disney is not the only reason to be a CP, it does look good on a resume.

Piebald

You can't expect every single CP to be a weird, obsessive fan like a lot of people on here are. :lookaroun

Part of what makes it interesting is the amount of kids who have actually never been to WDW and get to live this experience. Sure there are some who may not be knowledgeable about how long the track for Space Mountain is or how many female animatronics are in POTC but for the most part I've never encountered an absolutely horrible CP who had complete lack of anything Disney and total apathy instead. We get our really good ones and our "passable" ones but they're not all that bad.

Not gonna lie though, a lot of them love to party and GOD BLESS all the south american international girls for making this slow month of January a great time. :sohappy: :sohappy:

Mansion Butler

Since moving here I've realized that the CP is more kids that think "Dude! Living at Disney will be like totally awesome, it'll be so easy and we'll just party all the time." Rather than the people like us that are big fans, or even just casual fans, they are only there to party and goof off.

I just quit a job that was located next to Vista Way so I met a lot of the kids that were just coming in. I'm not saying all of the CPers are like this, but 90% of them are the non-fan, party kids. Recently it seems when I go to the parks the CMs are a lot less knowledgeable about their attractions and I figure it is because most of them are the type of CPers I just mentioned. In the past I'd be able to go up to a CM and ask him something about his attraction ("where's the Hidden Mickey I heard about?", "how fast does this go?", etc.) and they'd know 99% of the time. Now days it seems like they are just working any other job and aren't the magical CMs that we all know and love. I know with it being the beginning of the year a lot of the kids are new, but only the past couple of years have seemed bad around this time.

I love how fans and passionate kids can come in and do the CP but I hate how most of them are here for the wrong reasons. What are your thoughts on the College Program?

Being a CP was the best period of my life. I worked in Adventerland/Liberty square, and almost every CP I knew was knowledagable in their job and passionate about Disney. As much if not more so than their full-time coworkers.

Now, from living in Vista Way, I also know that, while 90% is very high (would you be willing to agree to vocal minority), it's probably no better than 50%. There are alot who don't care and don't do a good job. However, Disney does seem to try and fit appropriate cast members into areas of high importance and guest interaction (like those of us who bought into everything Disney going into the most famous attractions).

I say, overwhelmingly, the college program is good. First of, how would Disney fill all those roles without college recruiting. After that, how do you know that all those CM would be the high quality you (should) expect?

From my experience, with the college program you're more likely to get people who care about Disney than just by hiring. Sure, you're going to get some dead weight, but if you make a decision to travel to Disney World for 5 months, most likely you have some interest in the parks. That's more than can be said for a local guy that just needs a job in Orlando and gets it with the 800 pound gorilla.

Mansion Butler

I stayed at Vista Way and it was pretty bad lol. Most of the kids were partiers but each had a pretty good reason for being there. Even the partiers had some love for Disney. Some kids had never been to Disney before and were really overwhelmed. Some were interested in Disney to get a head start in theater, management, etc. In their defense, a love for Disney is not the only reason to be a CP, it does look good on a resume.

See, I didn't have that experience at Vista. Everyone told me it was like that, but I never experienced it. I either went to my friends' apartments (who were quiet, like me) or *gasp* I went to the parks. Even counting sleep, I was on property more than I was at Vista.

I think it's all what you make of it. I was never aware of parties. I know they were there, I just never noticed.

CaptainMichael

I think it is a GREAT opportunity for college students to work for a big company, gain experience, meet people, and most importantly, get a break from school for a bit.

I cannot wait to do it next semester! I promise I won't let ya'll down.

Hobnail Boot

What kind of jobs are CP'ers assigned to in the parks? I'm seriously considering doing this and would love to know. Also, what kind of hours do they work?

joanna71985

I have done the CP twice. The amount of hours depends on the role and location. For example, in 2005 I did merchandise in Fantasyland. I almost always (90% of the time) was closing. Which meant my hours were usually something like 5-close, or 6-7 to close with EMH (God bless it:lookaroun ). However, I just came back from my last CP. I was a character attendant. This time I just about always (95% of the time) worked at park opening. So hours were something like 8:30-3:30 (Town Square), 10-6 (Pooh's Playground), ect. The only exceptions were special events (mnsshp, mvmcp, ect) and Toontown.

That being said, I loved my time on the CP. I gained a lot of work experience, and plan on going back FT once I graduate.

MainSt1993

What kind of jobs are CP'ers assigned to in the parks? I'm seriously considering doing this and would love to know. Also, what kind of hours do they work?

CPs pretty much do any of the hourly roles at the resort. Most positions are onstage, but some are backstage roles as well. If you're particularly enthusiastic about working in a particular area/role, share that with your recruiter (while maintaining an openess to flexibility). Unfortunately, unless things have changed you don't find out your role until you arrive.

My other piece of advice - and this is really hard to articulate - BE the quintessential Disney cast member, not the idea of what one should be. Think friendly, open & approachable, competant, and trustworthy. You're a part of the show - you're not the show. Good luck, and keep us posted!

MainSt1993

I have done the CP twice. The amount of hours depends on the role and location. For example, in 2005 I did merchandise in Fantasyland. I almost always (90% of the time) was closing. Which meant my hours were usually something like 5-close, or 6-7 to close with EMH (God bless it:lookaroun ). However, I just came back from my last CP. I was a character attendant. This time I just about always (95% of the time) worked at park opening. So hours were something like 8:30-3:30 (Town Square), 10-6 (Pooh's Playground), ect. The only exceptions were special events (mnsshp, mvmcp, ect) and Toontown.

That being said, I loved my time on the CP. I gained a lot of work experience, and plan on going back FT once I graduate.

:lol: Yeah, my first summer I was scheduled 10:30 pm to 2:30 am, Emporium, with split days off almost every week. I had to call in each day to get a full 8 hour shift. My parents couldn't understand why I left a well-paying (at the time) office job for that "nonsense." I think they get it now.

DLR is the largest single-site employer in CA, and WDW is the largest single-site employer in the nation. So, scheduling is something of a nightmare. CPers work side by side with the regular full time and regular part time CMs. A lot depens on the location. On Main St, CPs were mostly used to cover the extended hours of seasonal periods and to cover vacation for the regular CMs. So, even a first term CPer got a variety of shifts, which made the job more interesting. Even working different times at the same location makes a big difference

Launchpad

Account Suspended
Original Poster
The 90% refers to the kids I've met from Vista Way, not every current CPer. I'm not denying the fact that there are some great ones out there, but a majority of the ones I've met are there for the wrong reasons unfortunately.

olean

Re:

if you make a decision to travel to Disney World for 5 months, most likely you have some interest in the parks. That's more than can be said for a local guy that just needs a job in Orlando and gets it with the 800 pound gorilla.

I have to disagree with that last sentence. I am actually a local myself and I have been looking into the WDWCP because even though I already live in this area it still takes me about an hour to get to Disney and I believe the program would be great for my career goals and life experience.

The biggest down-side is that if decide to do the program I would go from getting paid $8 an hour at a small good hotel that I am happy at and have been working at for a year now to $6.64 an hour (or however much it is now) at an unknown role at a gigantic company. I am also having trouble getting any kind of college credit from my college for the program which has caused me to think twice and maybe not do the program at all.

So these are my two biggest objections to the program and what I consider to be the biggest "BAD" of the WDWCP:

- LOW PAY $$ :(
- UNKNOWN ROLE prior to arrival :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom