College Program Alumni

Irrawaddy Erik

well I lived in a 2 bedroom apartment and had two wonderful roomates
the third was kicked out halfway thought the program....

i still talk to my roomies everyday .......

just lay down ground rules from the begining about food, the phone, visitors, tv, computers, personal space ect

I had a blast w/ mine but i also know some ppl who had a lot of trouble w/ theirs so its just a toss up ......you have to be flexible too

Irrawaddy Erik

Originally posted by mej
Probably a silly question ,but here goes!! What is a "wellness" apartment? Excuse my ignorance!

wellness basicly means no smoking no drinking........i was in a wellness but my roomie smoked (outside though) so it didnt bother us.......also there was alcohol but we didnt drink all the time only on special days or occations

pixiedust1010

Hi, I was on the program Spring 2000...I was in a 4 person apt (didn't think I could handle 5 female roomies, and I was probably right!). The first roommate, who I shared an actual room with, was a girl that I met online through a website that was for people going for Sp 00. That worked out really well, we got along great the whole time. The other two were just assigned to the same apt. that we were and they didn't know each other coming in, although it turned out they went to the same school.
Overall, we really had no problems at all the entire time. I think a big part of that was we spent a lot of time apart. I met my boyfriend within the first two weeks (we are still together, and we live together) and began spending a lot of time with him and his roomies. Not long after, we set up one of my roomies with one of his and they just got engaged last Christmas!!!! So her and I spent a lot of time with them and our other two roommates were kept busy with their jobs. Unfortunatly, the girl I shared a room with was working at Cosmic Rays and it was pure hell for her. She was always working and it was generally a miserable experience for her. Not everyone is cut out for quick service foods and Cosmic Rays is definitely a busy place (largest fast food restaurant). She has some horrible stories. When she had rare time off it usually clashed with my schedule so we didn't get to see a lot of each other, plus she had to leave early to attend summer school. Our fourth roommate was a "friend of a character" at the MK and that also took up a lot of her time. Between meet and greets and parades, she had some pretty long shifts. I think she had fun most of the time, but I think she would have rather had more free time. Out of all 4 of us, I had the best deal...I worked in Merchantainment at the Studios and it was a very relaxed, laid back atmosphere. I was very close with everyone I worked with and because there were 4 CP's at our store when there were typically 2 during other semesters, we were able to get a lot of time off.
Everyone in our building (at Vista Way) knew each other and hung out a lot, but everyone was respectful. A lot of the younger CP's (most of whom had not been away from home ever or were still freshmen) seemed to drink and party a lot more than the older ones, but we still had our share of fun. Some buildings were more notorious than others for partying, and it seemed like anyone really obnoxious got kicked out within the first 2 weeks (hundreds of people were actually sent home for various reasons--most of them probably didn't belong there anyway because it was usually for dumb stuff like still a security golf cart or drinking underage at Pleasure Island and then passing out, having ______ in the hot tubs, showing up to work drunk, etc.).
Not everyone gets along with all their roommates, in fact there is almost always one who doesn't fit in with the rest. I was really lucky, and my boyfriend was really lucky, but there were plenty of people who had to move to other apartments or go to counseling. At least 4 apt.'s in our building had roommate relation problems. But what can you do, it was totally random so of course everyone isn't going to get along. In one apartment, there were 5 girls under 21 and one woman who was 60. That was a difficult situation because she acted like a mom and they resented her a lot. But they did get home-cooked meals and ironed clothes, so it had its positives :)
Man, I wish I could go back. It was the best time of my life, and I met the most important person of my life. I won't be returning to work at WDW, but it looks like we'll be moving to CA. so then I will try to find a job in some aspect of the Disney Company. Good luck on your program and have fun!!!!

~Leanne:wave:

pixiedust1010

Originally posted by wbboy29
Thanks everyone, for the stories and information. You really helped calm some of my nerves about this, except for "TurkeyLegBoy," your stories kind of scared me(Lol:lol: .......Just kidding). Actually, I'm hoping that I will have a very diverse group of roommates. I would think it would get kind of boring if everyone had the same personality. I am over 21 but I put in the application that I would prefer a wellnes hall. I don't mind going out and having fun but I just don't want to take the chance of it getting to crazy in the apartment.
I have another question for you all. The only flight I was able to get, at a good price, out of Oregon doesn't arrive in Orlando till 5:15pm the day I'm supposed to arrive. I'm supposed to check in between 9am-3pm. Do think arriving late will affect me getting into a wellness hall? And how do they assign your roles? I know I will be in operations, and allthough I don't mind doing parking or front gate, I would much rather prefer attractions. Do you think getting there that late in the day will affect that, or do they have your role preassigned before you get there? Again, sorry I have so many questions. Thanks again in advance for your help, and for the help you have already given me.:)

To answer your questions, I would definitely notify them that you will be arriving late. i don't know if things have changed in the last two years, but they do things kind of randomly and you could well have trouble getting into the wellness hall if you arrive late (but if you call them they should be able to help you). Also, it's most likely you won't be able to switch out of ops and into attractions--they don't do that much at all. But my boyfriend worked in the parking lot at MGM and loved it! It's a good job, you have more breaks than anyone else and you are kind of your own boss after you are trained. Plus there are so many people that it is easier to trade shifts and get time off if you need to. He had a blast. I know that with me, they didn't tell me which park I would be working at until the 2nd day I was there because there was some kind of mistake, so several of us didn't know right away. It's a random but organized system, i guess.

Maria

Originally posted by pixiedust1010
In one apartment, there were 5 girls under 21 and one woman who was 60. That was a difficult situation because she acted like a mom and they resented her a lot. But they did get home-cooked meals and ironed clothes, so it had its positives :)

I think I heard of that when I was there in 99! I think I heard complaints about that though... I have a vague memory about it, but I think some girl who worked with us was in that apt. with the "not so young" lady who treated them like a mother, so that was no fun for them... what a coincidence that you mention it! :lol:

Smitty

Hey! Congrats on getting in to the CP. I am a Campus Rep at my school here in MA and on June 10th I will be headed back to WDW to work as RCA at the Housing Complexes. You'll find out what an RCA is soon enough! If they still do things the same way as they used to when I was there you'll meet the RCA's the first day you get there!

Anyway, take whatever you read or hear online about the CP with a grain of salt. The CP changes all the time. What was true last semester might be totally different this semester. Such as being placed in an apartment with the other people around you in line. There are so many variables that go in to it! Did you all pick the same housing options? Are you all 21 + or under 21? Do you want a non-smoking apartment? Do you have the same number of roommates picked? Get the idea? Plus, a lot of websites out there that I am sure you have picked up are so out of date compared to what the CP is now. My advice is go with an open mind, be ready for anything but most of all, have fun!!!

Smitty

To answer your other questions, your job is already picked for you most likely and your training is already set up. It is very very very unlikely that they will let you switch. Trust me, your job is what you make of it. Go with a good attitude and remember that you are only at work for a portion of each day and the rest is fun time!

And if you put in for a wellness apartment you will likely get it! Also, it is an aprtment not a hall. These are apartment buildings not dorms like at school. And not every apartment in your building will definitely be wellness. Some might not be. Depends on the numbers of people who have to be put in wellness and those who don't. Have fun!

wbboy29

:sohappy: WOW!!!!!!:sohappy:

Thanks everyone for all the great tips, info, stories, etc. I am so looking forward to this even more now, and I was really looking forward to this before.
Hey Smitty, I also wanted to give a huge thanks to you too. You were one of the people who gave me some great tips before I went into the interview for the program. And as you can see it really helped. Although I would love to work at the attractions, I honestly don't really care where I get placed. I am just so stoked to have gotten accepted. I'm sure I will have a great time where ever they place me. Thanks again. Hopefully I'll see you on the 19th Smitty, even though I will be arriving late.
:sohappy: Thanks again everyone!!!!:sohappy:

:D 37 days to go!!!!:D

TURKEY

Original Poster
Attractions are now considered part of operations. You probally won't be able to transfer, but your odds are better in that there are 3 types of jobs for operations.

In the fall, my recruiter's travel partner worked in housing at Vista Way. She said that it will probally stay 21-/21+ from now on. Also that ALL apartments are non-smoking. I roomed with smokers, they either went on the balcony, porch, or other places to smoke, never inside.

You probally have been placed where you will be working, you just don't know what it is.

I think all 1 and 4 bedroom apartments are in Chatham. I'm not positive on this. Chatham also has 2 and 3 BR. Everyone I knew at Vista were in a 2 or 3 BR and didn't know anyone with a 1 or 4 BR. Smitty is right about # of variables getting housing. 21-/21+ is going to be a big thing now.

Bedroom size is also a big deal. I was in line with a guy I wanted to room with. I requested a 1 BR, he wanted a 3 BR. They wouldn't let us room together based on that alone.

wbboy29

WDWCP websites?

Hey everyone,

I was just wondering. Does anyone know of any good wdwcp web sites. I'm trying to find some that would allow me to meet other cp's who are also going down for fall advantage, so that I know some people before I leave in June. I have already been to the official web site and that just gives info about the program, but it doesn't let you meet other who are going down around the same time that I will be. Thanks in advance for any info you may have.:D

disneygal2001

Hey I was on the CP during the fall 2001 program. I worked at Caribbean Beach Resort in Housekeeping.

I am going on Vacation to WDW from Dec. 16th to the 21st and I can't wait I have friends who are working there now.

I am planning on doing anothe CP in the fall of 2003.

Disney Gal 2001
I am Becky C. on the Alumni Site
Disney Gal 1012 on AOL

:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom