Coco ride? (Image on new Imagineering Site)

wityblack

Original Poster
1573602405672.png

(photo from https://sites.disney.com/waltdisneyimagineering/our-process/)
1573612354567.png

That image on the screen shows a very Dia De Los Muertos style skull. Could this be for a Coco ride? Is this the black box ride? What do you guys think of it?

1573603243949.png

Here's a photo from Coco with the same skull.
1573605255688.png

Another photo from the Marigold Grand Central Station that seems to closely match what is on the screen.

(edited photos)

Attachments

• 1573603287519.png
    1573603287519.png
    673.5 KB · Views: 563
Last edited:

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
The vehicle configuration is interesting. For a "pre-visualization" of scenes or VR or projection mapping (if we're thinking Black Box concept) the staggered, elevated seating tells me it's for something "New" and definitely NOT for Gran Fiesta Tour.

If they're testing how things look from a specific vantage point within the ride vehicle... things must be pretty far along!

Last edited:

Victor Kelly

Could be misdirection or even just a proof of concept. Could still be used on a boat system. As I have not been to Void, could Just a flat moving platform that does not need a lot of space be utilized?

wityblack

Original Poster
Someone brought up VOID, and they are wearing VR goggles, there was a Coco VR social game that replicated the Land of the Dead as if it were a theme park, as they mention in this article:

The game did contain the Magnolia Grand Central Station, which is what I'm pretty sure is what was seen in the Imagineering picture. Here's an image I found from the game of the station.
1573612014686.png

My assumption is it is pulling from the same assets from the original film, but the team developing the game worked with Pixar and there is no mention of working with Imagineering. I doubt the VR game would have anything to do with riding on that two-tiered car. Just an interesting coincidence, and some more insight into what exactly the Imagineering photo is showing.

Attachments

• 1573611881523.png
    1573611881523.png
    477.4 KB · Views: 376

Creathir

I wouldn’t read the VR goggles into anything.

As was revealed in how SWGE was built and designed, this is a standard Imagineering technique these days, simulating the ride experience in totality within a virtual world before building it in the physical. In theory it should allow for issues to be found during the design process quicker than they otherwise would have been able to.

Here is a fantastic article about the process:

Disneyson

Agreed. It can be any sort of ride, boat or otherwise, that seems to just be the rig they use to test dark ride style attractions. I’m betting this gets announced after the first major element of New Epcot opens a) In order to keep momentum going towards the end of the project, and b) Because they can’t close down too many attractions at the same time without adding something new to sop up the displaced crowds.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I wouldn’t read the VR goggles into anything.

As was revealed in how SWGE was built and designed, this is a standard Imagineering technique these days, simulating the ride experience in totality within a virtual world before building it in the physical. In theory it should allow for issues to be found during the design process quicker than they otherwise would have been able to.

Here is a fantastic article about the process:

It's interesting that two of the riders are not wearing goggles but still appear to be looking at something.

Creathir

It's interesting that two of the riders are not wearing goggles but still appear to be looking at something.
Judging by the presumed diagram of where the vehicle is located and pointing, and that they appear to be looking towards the 10:00 hour relative to them, maybe in that curved portion of the room is a projection screen of the visual? Perhaps for better judging viewing angles?
They are also looking at the same thing the controller is looking at, so maybe it’s another overview map? Maybe they are designers of the virtual world and are watching what others are looking at to give feedback as its happening for those that are just experiencing it?

No idea, but yes, is quite interesting.

WDW Pro

A Coco attraction has been designed for the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot and an unnamed location at DLR (possibly also for Paris, but my source isn't sure), but the actual implementation of the design has not been green lit. It did not make it in the revamp Epcot budget, which means that it is probably several years away. I'm told the designs would involve significant changes within the pavilion to accommodate necessary queue modifications. At this point, it looks more likely to arrive at DLR first when given the go-ahead.

wityblack

Original Poster
A Coco attraction has been designed for the Mexico Pavilion in Epcot and an unnamed location at DLR (possibly also for Paris, but my source isn't sure), but the actual implementation of the design has not been green lit. It did not make it in the revamp Epcot budget, which means that it is probably several years away. I'm told the designs would involve significant changes within the pavilion to accommodate necessary queue modifications. At this point, it looks more likely to arrive at DLR first when given the go-ahead.
Is it possible that it could make it into the space of Pixar Pier currently holding the Pixarmonic Bandstand? The original concept art seemed to indicate a theatre attraction with Coco featured, but it wasn't built. There's plenty of space in that area (barring the parade shed).
1573662903194.png

I can't imagine it replacing The Little Mermaid, given how new the ride is and how much money was put into it, but I could be wrong.

Furthermore, is it the same attraction that is designed for DLR and WDW?

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom