Coco and Encanto Fit More at World Showcase. Not at Magic Kingdom.

Epcot82Guy

I agree with the ascetic. However, the issue is that Coco fits the American west/southwest from the American perspective - not the Mexican perspective. A war was actually fought over this. By way of example, think of them adding Mary Poppins to Liberty Square because of our British history and its influences. This would likely ring odd to most Americans. It would be similar here, at a time when cultural sensitivity is (sometimes) important to Disney.

Bocabear

Coco should have already been greenlit to replace they Donald Duck ride in Mexico... It is a natural fit, offers some insights into Mexican culture and does it in a fun colorful way...Not sure if they would do an amazing job with it, but it could be a wonderful seamless fit for that Pavilion... Look, we already have Frozen and Ratatouille. As long as the attractions fit the aesthetic and offer a little something about the culture, I am not against it... And Coco would fit better in the Mexico pavilion than somewhere behind Big thunder some decade in the future... Mexico Pavilion is built and ready for a better fresher attraction... and hopefully they will extend it a bit as well.

Epcot82Guy

Coco should have already been greenlit to replace they Donald Duck ride in Mexico... It is a natural fit, offers some insights into Mexican culture and does it in a fun colorful way...Not sure if they would do an amazing job with it, but it could be a wonderful seamless fit for that Pavilion... Look, we already have Frozen and Ratatouille. As long as the attractions fit the aesthetic and offer a little something about the culture, I am not against it... And Coco would fit better in the Mexico pavilion than somewhere behind Big thunder some decade in the future... Mexico Pavilion is built and ready for a better fresher attraction... and hopefully they will extend it a bit as well.

Totally agree. Even as a "non-IP" person, having Miguel host a ride explaining the history and meaning behind Day of the Dead would fit perfectly. (A book report ride less so, but this would be the perfect way to do a short story that 100% fits the area AND the character.)

As many of us have been saying recently, this is 100% about fit. Maybe this was all a giant ploy to get us on board with IP... 😆

correcaminos

For what it’s worth, I think the Coco structure in the art fits the American frontier which had heavy Mexican influences, and I can see a story that works.

Encanto does not fit and raises some red flags about their train of thought there. It’s less-modern construction, so it’s frontier? It’s Hispanic, so it fits next to Coco? Unless perhaps that’s to be a part of Fantasyland (which perhaps it is), in which case the transition might not be bad.

I’m not ready to write it off yet.
This is part of the problem. People assume central Mexico is just like Texas. It's not. I wish people would stop doing this.

Both can fit in MK if not frontierland easily though

Coco in Mexico might create issues with a queue. At least it is represented there in some capacity.

Inspired Figment

Agreed. World showcase should be a celebration of each country. Not a second magic Kingdom.
You mean ‘Fantasyland’. Magic Kingdom once had thematic integrity, originality, and different lands dedicated to different themes. But yeah, EPCOT’s World Showcase isn’t the place. I’d say Disney’s Hollywood Studios Infact is. Galaxy’s Edge is there right? Same with Toy Story land. Put all the film IP/franchise themed lands there.

Epcot82Guy

The more I think about it, the issue is that it's two IPs. It's not enough to focus on one, they don't have a direct tie to each other and there aren't enough to make a collection.

In another world at another castle park, you could do a Latin America-based Fantasyland approach. Much like Fantasyland throws together stories from many parts of Europe (and beyond), we could see Gran Fiesta Tour, Coco, Paradise Falls (from Up) and Encanto combined under the loose guise of Disney's stories inspired by Latin America. This version just doesn't have the overarching story needed.

Maybe the live action remake of Home on the Range will be spectacular and give us the Frontierland IP we've needed...

James Alucobond

The more I think about it, the issue is that it's two IPs. It's not enough to focus on one, they don't have a direct tie to each other and there aren't enough to make a collection.

In another world at another castle park, you could do a Latin America-based Fantasyland approach. Much like Fantasyland throws together stories from many parts of Europe (and beyond), we could see Gran Fiesta Tour, Coco, Paradise Falls (from Up) and Encanto combined under the loose guise of Disney's stories inspired by Latin America. This version just doesn't have the overarching story needed.

Maybe the live action remake of Home on the Range will be spectacular and give us the Frontierland IP we've needed...
I still don’t think it’s terribly different from Liberty Square. Haunted Mansion and Hall of Presidents may not be IP-based, but they’re two very different attractions in terms of both tone and theme, really only held together by loose cosmetic similarities.

Cmdr_Crimson

At least WS never got renamed to World Fantasyland Showcase...

IMO New Frontierland needs more rides within the area..All it has is Splash, Big Thunder, the Tom Sawyer rafts and one Country Bear Jambaroo expanding the size of it makes more sense than a galaxy far far away like that other park has....

Disstevefan1

I'm not impressed with the D23 Expo panel about the Parks.

Why would they even think about placing Encanto and Coco at Magic Kingdom beyond Big Thunder Mountain Railroad?

I think it's better if they put these two films into World Showcase.

Coco, inside the Mexico pavilion. It should replace the Gran Fiesta Tour, or give it a small expansion. Maybe a VR ride.

For Encanto, EPCOT should have a brand new Colombia somewhere between Germany and Italy. Or between China and Germany. When you step into the Colombia pavilion, you enter this small village full of shops and restaurants. The main attraction is Casita Madrigal. It can be a walkthrough attraction or a new trackless dark ride like Mystic Manor / Haunted Mansion. You are invited to an open house and you go inside each room in the Casita as Mirabel takes you on a tour letting us meet the Madrigal family. And maybe outside the Casita is an outdoor theater for an Encanto Sing Along.

These are some of my Armchair Imagineering ideas. What do you think? Both these IPs fit more at EPCOT then at Magic Kingdom.
I agree, they would fit better in WS.
It doesn't matter anymore; Moana doesn't fit in EPCOT.
Besides, they probably won't do it because MONEY.

James Alucobond

There is no reason this couldn't still happen. They don't seem to have any problem repeating IP in multiple parks, and the Coco attraction, vaguely described though it was, did not sound like a gentle boat ride, so I don't think there'd necessarily be an experiential overlap. Logistically, it's understandable that they don't want to do this right now considering the queue situation. Perhaps if they ever build out more attractions in the World Showcase, they'll feel more comfortable that the pavilion wouldn't buckle under the added pressure.

No Name

This is part of the problem. People assume central Mexico is just like Texas. It's not. I wish people would stop doing this.

Both can fit in MK if not frontierland easily though
Agreed but San Fransokyo is not like California, Zootopia+Moana don’t fit with Animal Kingdom, etc. Ideally the company would do a lot of things differently, I’m just lowering my bar a little to meet theirs, which is unfortunate but that’s all.

No Name

You mean ‘Fantasyland’. Magic Kingdom once had thematic integrity, originality, and different lands dedicated to different themes. But yeah, EPCOT’s World Showcase isn’t the place. I’d say Disney’s Hollywood Studios Infact is. Galaxy’s Edge is there right? Same with Toy Story land. Put all the film IP/franchise themed lands there.
That would mean they would never add a ride to any park that’s not Hollywood Studios.

correcaminos

Agreed but San Fransokyo is not like California, Zootopia+Moana don’t fit with Animal Kingdom, etc. Ideally the company would do a lot of things differently, I’m just lowering my bar a little to meet theirs, which is unfortunate but that’s all.
Yeah San Franksokyo is totally different than anywhere else lol. I suppose you can attempt to tie Moana with ocean.... but I am trying not to lower my bar too much ;)

Centauri Space Station

At least WS never got renamed to World Fantasyland Showcase...

IMO New Frontierland needs more rides within the area..All it has is Splash, Big Thunder, the Tom Sawyer rafts and one Country Bear Jambaroo expanding the size of it makes more sense than a galaxy far far away like that other park has....
Still more than DL has with TSI, BTMM and some boats from ROA being considered part of it

mf1972

i would go with coco, but in epcot. i’m surprised it hasn’t replaced the boat ride already. other than some popular songs, i don’t think encanto is good enough of a movie to possibly theme a land after. if they’re going to possibly put a new land in MK, i’d rather see it villain themed. the bad guys are due 😈

bcoachable

I think a South American theme in Animal Kingdom- replacing Chester and Hester using Encanto could be cool- possibly tying in dinosaur with the theme? If the budget wasn’t there to do it well, however, I’m not going to jump on board!

Phicinfan

There is no reason this couldn't still happen. They don't seem to have any problem repeating IP in multiple parks, and the Coco attraction, vaguely described though it was, did not sound like a gentle boat ride, so I don't think there'd necessarily be an experiential overlap. Logistically, it's understandable that they don't want to do this right now considering the queue situation. Perhaps if they ever build out more attractions in the World Showcase, they'll feel more comfortable that the pavilion wouldn't buckle under the added pressure.
Per insiders there was a version of ride to Coco to go into Mexico, but there was some physical issue in doing this that made them drop it. @marni1971 I believe covered this at one time

Cmdr_Crimson

I agree, they would fit better in WS.
It doesn't matter anymore; Moana doesn't fit in EPCOT.
Besides, they probably won't do it because MONEY.
Nor AK.....and I'm pretty sure they have a mindset like these guys..
71sntvecunh51.png

Sir_Cliff

I would have thought Encanto would have been a good excuse to build a Colombia pavilion.

World Showcase needs more rides, South America is currently not represented, and they could add a ride based on a popular franchise to a park that needs a boost and then clone that ride at other resorts. Building it in the context of a pavilion also allows them to open shops and restaurants and maybe attract some sponsors. I can't imagine it would be much/at all more expensive than building an Encanto mini-land at Magic Kingdom and a new pavilion at Epcot after so many decades gives them something they can hype.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom