CMs Sends Guests Out in the Rain

Wisconsin

Original Poster
A few weeks ago, when we were at AK, there was one of those typical FL afternoon rainstorms. We happened to be right by Everest and sought shelter in the Fast Pass "building" (really more of a roof with 2 walls). After a few minutes the CMs shouted to the group that we would have to vacate the premises (there were many guests trying to stay dry in there--it was very crowded), that it was a hazard and other guests couldn't get to the Fast Pass machines. I was surprised at this announcement. It was a drenching hard rain and nobody moved. The CM kept shouting it (he was being as nice and non-threatening as he could) and a few people stepped out and were instantly drenched and started running in the rain (they could have slipped and fell in that environment). I think the first priority should be the guest's comfort. I don't believe it was a fire or safety hazard because 2 sides of the shelter are wide open. I'm sure the CM was told to keep the area clear at all times, so he was just doing his job. Eventually the rain let up a little and about half the people (including us) left and got wet. It was really no big deal to us, we know the rain usually passes after 20 minutes and it kept us cool in the heat, but I still question the CMs decision to force guests out into the drenching rain. What do you think?

captainkidd

I think the CM was right. People were obviously in the way of other people getting Fastpasses.

Not to hijack your thread, but we were there last month during one of the storms. At the MK, we got off the TTA and were headed down the automatic walkway ramp. Anywhere from 50-75 people decided to seek shelter right at the bottom of the ramp. Within seconds, we were all getting crushed as there was nowhere for us to go. The CM standing there tried to get people to move, but no one listened. Finally, another CM saw what was happening, ran over, and started screaming for people to move. We walked up to him and thanked him for doing the right thing.

Future Guy

The CM was doing what he had to do. Disney can't exactly control the weather; people need to come prepared with ponchos or whatever else they need. And unless one of the guests in question happened to be the Wicked Witch of the West, the rain wasn't going to kill them.

BigRedDad

Nothing wrong with the CM at all in this instance. The FP line at EE is made to enter and exit. If people waiting to get FP's and people without rain gear want to stay dry, the people that did not plan properly need to move out.

ohhector

Agreed, the CM did the right thing.

This is why you should always have a poncho with you at WDW. That, or not be scared of a little (a lot? haha) water

cowanfamily

The cast member did the right thing, but, Disney does need more sheltered areas at AK. I ran into the same problem there back in June. Some storms are fine to wander around in. When a big storm hits though it's a free for all there. With that being said I will be back in November and I hope it doesn't rain!!

Slipknot

Don't blame CMs for enforcing rules set by Fire Marshals. Breaking their rules is worse than any rules set by Disney. Period. One rule is too many people in one spot can be a fire hazard. Yes, I know it was raining, doesn't matter.

Unless you are the Wicked Witch of the West, I don't see the problem. I'd take a drenching rain over being drenched in sweat anyday, anyway.

Cosmic Commando

On our last trip, we ducked into Haunted Mansion during a pouring rain and parked our stroller with a bunch of others in this little structure next to the keel boat dock. When we got out, all of the strollers were in the walkway and soaking wet! We really weren't happy at the time, but I'm sure the CM had some reason for moving the strollers out of there. I don't know what it was, but whatever. This trip we bring a rain cover for our stroller. :)

Rob562

On our last trip, we ducked into Haunted Mansion during a pouring rain and parked our stroller with a bunch of others in this little structure next to the keel boat dock. When we got out, all of the strollers were in the walkway and soaking wet! We really weren't happy at the time, but I'm sure the CM had some reason for moving the strollers out of there. I don't know what it was, but whatever. This trip we bring a rain cover for our stroller. :)

The covered area by the dock (where the FastPass machines used to be when Mansion had them) is an overflow queue area for Mansion.

If enough people did just as you did and hopped in line to get on Mansion out of the rain, and the queue extended out beyond the gate, that overflow would have been put into service. Strollers parked there would then be in the way, and were probably hastily shoved out toward the regular stroller parking area by a CM trying to clear the path (while working in the rain and trying to get as many Guests as possible OUT of the rain and into the covered queue area).

-Rob

Cosmic Commando

That makes sense. Just don't tell my wife. This was almost exactly two years ago now and she still talks about it... "Yes honey, I'm sure that CM that moves people's strollers into the rain cries himself to sleep at night."

spock

I was there a few weeks ago as well and was actually disappointed that we did NOT encounter the typical Florida afternoon downpour. I actually think those are fun. :p

SMRT-1

I think the CM was right. People were obviously in the way of other people getting Fastpasses.

i think i would need to hang upside down for several hours to understand this logic. who is getting fastpasses in a heavy rainstorm? everyone is trying to stay out of the rain. the CM probably was trained in a certain way in which his own common sense isn't necessary.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
i think i would need to hang upside down for several hours to understand this logic. who is getting fastpasses in a heavy rainstorm? everyone is trying to stay out of the rain. the CM probably was trained in a certain way in which his own common sense isn't necessary.
Anybody and everybody that came prepared for the inevitable storm. It certainly never slows me down.

Tigger1988

I've been going to WDW for my entire life and at this point I know to expect downpours on an almost daily basis. I do not let said downpours slow me down if I happen to be in the parks when they hit. I grab one of the many ponchos I carry and go about my day. Getting a fastpass so you can enjoy the ride after the storm is a good idea.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom