CM Questions Galore!

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Hey all, I have a couple of questions about working in wdw.

My friend and i really want to work at wdw for a summer; I have no issues because I want to do operations and have two years of experience in it (though not a disney). My friend however wants to do entertainment, specifically a singing role. She's a music major in voice, so its kind of her thing. Anyway, backstory is done, here's the question:

-Do entertainment cm's get more per hour, and what are their average hours?
-Anyone actually go through the audition process?
-Is it simply singing, or do you also double as a friend of a character?
-What's this Relocation Assistance mentioned on disneyauditions.com?

I'm assuming that an operations cm gets flordia minimum wage, right?

I think that's it for now, prolly have more later. Any help is appreciated. Oh and

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! :xmas:

joanna71985

Hey all, I have a couple of questions about working in wdw.

My friend and i really want to work at wdw for a summer; I have no issues because I want to do operations and have two years of experience in it (though not a disney). My friend however wants to do entertainment, specifically a singing role. She's a music major in voice, so its kind of her thing. Anyway, backstory is done, here's the question:

-Do entertainment cm's get more per hour, and what are their average hours?
-Anyone actually go through the audition process?
-Is it simply singing, or do you also double as a friend of a character?
-What's this Relocation Assistance mentioned on disneyauditions.com?

I'm assuming that an operations cm gets flordia minimum wage, right?

I think that's it for now, prolly have more later. Any help is appreciated. Oh and

HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVERYONE! :xmas:

1. First off, are you thinking doing the college program? Or just working the summer as being seasonal?

2. Hours depend on the height basically, and some other factors.

3. Characters do not sing. Any "live" singing is done by equity.

metscool

I tried to be in entertainment and you had to audition to be one. They are on every thursday. I learned that they are really hard there.

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Unfortunately we go to the University of Connecticut where they do not consider the cp to be a real co-op or internship. I even tried it as study abroad so its a no go. It would be seasonal, live down there for a summer, and go back to ct.

Magicot

Unfortunately we go to the University of Connecticut where they do not consider the cp to be a real co-op or internship. I even tried it as study abroad so its a no go. It would be seasonal, live down there for a summer, and go back to ct.

Have you considered a 'Leave of Absence' for a semester in order to do the CP? That's what I did at my college. In your case, it seems that doing the CP would be the step in the right direction. (If that's a possibility)

MMP

You could also take internet classes while you're doing the CP, that way you get your credits in. That's what I do. But the way things are going for the college program, I wouldn't be very surprised if they started offering a summer only program to more than just almuni.
As for the singing, your friend would need to audition and she would have to be equity, which is a performers union. She wouldn't have to double as a character performer though. I'm not sure if you can be seasonal and equity at the same time though.

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Have you considered a 'Leave of Absence' for a semester in order to do the CP? That's what I did at my college. In your case, it seems that doing the CP would be the step in the right direction. (If that's a possibility)

I've thought about a leave of absence many many times. We're both in school for 5 years so taking a semester off won't help us (I'm an engineering major)

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
I'm probably going to end up doing the College Program after my last semester of college. I've heard people do that. Though I'm not exactly clear on how that works. Is there some kind of benefit besides the engineering class they offer (That I am dying to take)?

bsummer

To answer your question about pay...if you do the College Program, everyone gets paid the same, with the exception of Entertainment and Quick Service Food and Beverage Cast Members, and the wage is a little above minimum wage for all cp's. If you are on the program you are guarunteed 30 hours a week but probably get more than that. If you are seasonal, you are guarunteed NO hours, you get what you get if you are lucky!

aka_emilicious

Original Poster
Well looks like I'm getting a second job then. Lol. Hopefully my friend gets the equity singing job so we don't have to worry about paying rent! I can't believe how low minimum wage is in Fl!

I actually have another question now. Is there anyway to do the summer cp if you haven't done any others? Or is there some way I can be guaranteed 35 hours a week?

MMP

As of right now there is no summer program except for the alumni one. But I would keep checking because I wouldn't be surprised if they added one.

caitlee

they use to have a summer program a few years ago but got rid of it and opened it only to alumni so i doubt they will be bringing it back...its kindof a waste for disney to do a 3 month program because the time it takes to train is not worth the length of time the person will be down there working

egionet

Well looks like I'm getting a second job then. Lol. Hopefully my friend gets the equity singing job so we don't have to worry about paying rent! I can't believe how low minimum wage is in Fl!

I actually have another question now. Is there anyway to do the summer cp if you haven't done any others? Or is there some way I can be guaranteed 35 hours a week?

They had a summer program last year, but it was only for QSFB and custodial. Since you are interested in operations, you probably won't have the option. Good luck!

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Why are you correcting me? In the end, it's equity.
Just clarifying. All that means is that they are entertainment CM's represented by Actors Equity (only for disney theme parks: singers, dancers, actors, stunts. Anywhere else, typically only stage actors.) instead of Teamsters (like characters), AFM (like musicians), or IATSE (stage techs & costuming).

I wasn't trying to p!ss you off Kat :)

Mecha Figment

the sesasonl hours is correct. I gave them an entire week to schedule me. I got one one four hour shift

OH and you are not guarenteed to work 30 hours as a CP. some times they will just pay you the difference if they can't schedule it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom