Club 33 Woes

No Name

@DanielBB8 I’m not quite sure where to start. As for Paris, your source from 2015 is irrelevant because Disney now owns 100% of the resort. And in Hong Kong, the fee is certainly nice for Disney, but amounts to practically nothing compared to the operating losses and money invested, which are split according to ownership. Both resorts have been a net loss to this day.

I forgot about the 47 to 48 percent increase though, but that single percent cost Disney far more than the fees have ever given them, to put it in perspective.

Last edited:

DanielBB8

@DanielBB8 I’m not quite sure where to start. As for Paris, your source from 2015 is irrelevant because Disney now owns 100% of the resort. And in Hong Kong, the fee is certainly nice for Disney, but amounts to practically nothing compared to the operating losses and money invested, which are split according to ownership. Both resorts have been a net loss to this day.

I forgot about the 47 to 48 percent increase though, but that single percent cost Disney far more than the fees have ever given them, to put it in perspective.
You prove you have absolutely no idea how the finances at Paris and Hong Kong work so I’m done with the hole you keep digging yourself into.

TP2000

Milton Friedman ruined a whole generation of Americans by convincing them that greed is good.

Once you've paid rent, utilities (without Capitalistic and wasteful decadence like air conditioning and cable TV, of course), and bought basic life-sustaining groceries for a month with a small stipend set aside for annual purchase of clothing and sundries, what non-profit charity do you send all your extra cash to each month?

I mean, greed is bad. Right? So you don't spend any money on yourself or your loved ones that is purely decadent luxury. There are a few Billion humans starving on this planet tonight, so I know you wouldn't be so greedy and wasteful as to spend extra cash on your own visits to Disneyland or other decadent and wastefully greedy luxuries. Right?

Tamandua

After working through the entire pandemic without missing a single day due to covid and having my pay frozen because of the pandemic while inflation goes crazy, I guess I'm just not sympathetic to all the people who just got a year paid vacation at more than their regular salary from unemployment. All of these "they don't get paid enough" arguments feel pretty hollow to me when I would love to have had all the paid time off that they ended up with.

PiratesMansion

After working through the entire pandemic without missing a single day due to covid and having my pay frozen because of the pandemic while inflation goes crazy, I guess I'm just not sympathetic to all the people who just got a year paid vacation at more than their regular salary from unemployment. All of these "they don't get paid enough" arguments feel pretty hollow to me when I would love to have had all the paid time off that they ended up with.
At least you kept your job. Your salary didn't decrease. Many, many, MANY people were not so fortunate.

If you really think unemployment is just one long paid vacation and that everyone was out there just lounging and being drains on society, I would suggest you haven't been paying attention much to the last year at all.

Tamandua

At least you kept your job. Your salary didn't decrease. Many, many, MANY people were not so fortunate.

If you really think unemployment is just one long paid vacation and that everyone was out there just lounging and being drains on society, I would suggest you haven't been paying attention much to the last year at all.
In all sincerity, how were unemployed people contributing to society? I honestly don't know.

Tamandua

If no one was hiring, where were they supposed to go?

Sure, people are hiring now, but there were very limited options until very recently.
I still don't understand how that was contributing. The cast member union even actively campaigned to keep DLR from reopening. They fought against going back to work while the rest of us continued to work.

PiratesMansion

I still don't understand how that was contributing. The cast member union even actively campaigned to keep DLR from reopening. They fought against going back to work while the rest of us continued to work.
You speak as if DLR was the only place people could have worked.

Are people not entitled to wanting safe working conditions? Not everyone dismissed the pandemic so easily you did. Some people have health concerns, etc.

And we can't blame ALL of the closures of DLR on the unions. The state certainly was part of it all too-a massive part.

And again, what else was hiring? Mostly service positions that pay low and were (or at least perceived to be) high risk? There are only so many of people that are going to fill those positions.

Maybe you're lucky, but I know several people who lost jobs and have struggled to find anything. Now the situation has changed, but that is a very recent phenomenon.

Do we deprive them of unemployment insurance for a situation that is absolutely not their fault in any way? I wouldn't.

Tamandua

You speak as if DLR was the only place people could have worked.

Are people not entitled to wanting safe working conditions? Not everyone dismissed the pandemic so easily you did. Some people have health concerns, etc.

And we can't blame ALL of the closures of DLR on the unions. The state certainly was part of it all too-a massive part.

And again, what else was hiring? Mostly service positions that pay low and were (or at least perceived to be) high risk? There are only so many of people that are going to fill those positions.

Maybe you're lucky, but I know several people who lost jobs and have struggled to find anything. Now the situation has changed, but that is a very recent phenomenon.

Do we deprive them of unemployment insurance for a situation that is absolutely not their fault in any way? I wouldn't.
My point is that after all that paid time off, which they fought to extend to keep unemployment benefits, I don't agree with the people saying they should be paid more to maintain the Disney Look standards. There are people in this thread saying they should just be paid more regardless. I think each individual's value should be based on their work and skillset, but I have little sympathy for the demands of higher wages across the board when they just got a year of inflated salary for not working. That's what I'm saying.

el_super

I still don't understand how that was contributing.

People receiving unemployment were still spending that money and propping up businesses that needed customers. I didn't get furloughed, never received unemployment, but if those customers hadn't kept spending money, I could very well have been out of work.

The cast member union even actively campaigned to keep DLR from reopening. They fought against going back to work while the rest of us continued to work.

They campaigned against returning to an unsafe environment. Once Disney made several concessions to make the workplace safer, the union was in favor of opening, as it should have been. Cast Members now have onsite testing and vaccination, which wouldn't have been possible if the union didn't fight for it.

el_super

I don't agree with the people saying they should be paid more to maintain the Disney Look standards. There are people in this thread saying they should just be paid more regardless.

I do think they should be paid more, because there is tangible benefits to keeping trained and knowledgeable staff. Working at Disneyland is infinitely more complicated than jobs that require similar skillsets, due to the vast scale of the Disneyland operation, required training practices, company policies and even just the volume of guests. Overall I think it would be better to keep people around for longer, than to have a casting department that's open 360 days a year.

I think each individual's value should be based on their work and skillset, but I have little sympathy for the demands of higher wages across the board when they just got a year of inflated salary for not working. That's what I'm saying.

The benefits they were paid were to keep you employed, not to give them a paid vacation.

Nirya

Once you've paid rent, utilities (without Capitalistic and wasteful decadence like air conditioning and cable TV, of course), and bought basic life-sustaining groceries for a month with a small stipend set aside for annual purchase of clothing and sundries, what non-profit charity do you send all your extra cash to each month?

I mean, greed is bad. Right? So you don't spend any money on yourself or your loved ones that is purely decadent luxury. There are a few Billion humans starving on this planet tonight, so I know you wouldn't be so greedy and wasteful as to spend extra cash on your own visits to Disneyland or other decadent and wastefully greedy luxuries. Right?

Here, I've boiled down your argument for you in a handy image form:

Screen_Shot_2021-03-01_at_2.28.39_PM.png

Like, yes I live in our current society? Yes I have spent money on frivolous things before? That doesn't actually take away from the argument that greed, especially from the mega-wealthy investors and corporations, is not actually good for society. All you're doing is trying to point to a hypocrisy that doesn't actually exist in any meaningful way, as I am not a millionaire by any stretch of the imagination.

truecoat

The inflation rate on average is only up slightly, .5 to .7 percent at best.

DLR92

If no one was hiring, where were they supposed to go?

Sure, people are hiring now, but there were very limited options until very recently.
Not to mention those who where laid off and aren’t able to get back their previous job. Only current source is these abundance of low paying jobs, I would rather stay unemployed too if I where in their shoes. It not worth the stress on top when they have kids not in school still.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom