Club 33 Woes

Mouse Trap

Original Poster
Apparently a sizable number of members decided they didn't miss Disneyland/Club 33 during the yearlong closure and decided not to continue on with their memberships. The bigger shakeup is the amount of business memberships that are canceling, which doesn't have the same lengthy waitlist as the personal memberships.

Has anyone heard anything similar?

Last edited:

Tamandua

Would being a club 33 member make you exempt from reservation restrictions? I doubt a lot of people would want to keep the membership with the uncertainty that comes with the new system.

CaptinEO

Anyone know the cost of membership?
Last I heard it was 10 thousand a year. I could be a millionaire and I still wouldn't do it. I don't get the appeal of it.

Walt Disney made it to entertain high ranking guests, not as an insane upsell for customers.

I guess to so many people the fact that they "can't go" is what makes them want to save up the money and go.

Not me.

SevenSevens

I think the big business (and the one now suffering) is selling memberships to corporate accounts. Used to be a way to "impress a client", by taking them and their family out to Club 33 (and a day at Disneyland). I knew a few people who worked for companies with a membership and that was how I managed to get into Club 33 once.

TP2000

Apparently a sizable number of members decided they didn't miss Disneyland/Club 33 during the yearlong closure and decided not to continue on with their memberships. The bigger shakeup is the amount of business memberships that are canceling, which doesn't have the same lengthy waitlist as the personal memberships.

Yes. I heard basically this same concept from several friends and acquaintances over the holidays. That was about four months ago now. But with the indoor dining restrictions in place, and the complete washout of 15 to 18 months of not being able to access their investment, I'm aware of several members based in OC that were bailing.

The other thing to remember is that the personal memberships are owned primarily by successful people and business owners. They have instant access to legal advice from personal attorneys. And they also are business savvy people who know when something pencils out and when it doesn't. There are some diehard Disneyland fans who are members who may never leave, but not all Club members are in that superfan category.

Club 33 no longer pencils out for many of the members, and they have the legal ability to get out.

I have not heard anything specifically about these folks in the last 90 days, but I can ask at a social thing this upcoming weekend where at least one, and possibly two, members (former members?) will be at.

TP2000

Okay, here's what I learned at a liquor soaked sociable down on Balboa last Saturday...

Only one of the two possible Club 33 members were at the sociable. But when I broached the subject with the member who was there, I was immediately pounced upon by the wife of the member (former member?) who was there. She had a LOT to say on this topic.

These are not long-term members. They've only been members of Club 33 since about 2012, and they joined mainly to give their grandkids a good option for Disneyland visits because of how easy Club 33 made visiting and the VIP Tour Guide option that the Club gave them several times per year for the grandkids. The grandkids are now in college, so maybe they would have let their membership lapse eventually anyway? But the wife here was ON FIRE about how fed up she was with Club 33 and Disneyland's miserly management so they are saying adios to the whole thing.

I wish I could have just recorded her on my iPhone for you all, but that's obviously not an option. She said they were left in the lurch for most of 2020, not knowing how or when their investment in Club 33 would reactivate or how they would be compensated. Now that Disneyland is open, the future for how and when they'd be able to access their benefits is still not very clear. The concept of VIP Tours and long, gourmet dinners is apparently still on hold. The special Club 33 benefits like the Jazz Festival and special "backstage" tours are all still on hold. The parks aren't even open past 7pm anymore, so you can't have dinner. She went on and on.

And then she came to a separate topic that some folks here will find offensive..... Tattoos. She went off on the fact that tattoos and grooming standards similar to In-N-Out Burger are no longer enforced at Disneyland. She and her husband want no part of that, especially at the annual dues they were paying. I know a lot of younger folks will laugh at that and think "What a bunch of old fogeys", but she mentioned it as a reason why she and her husband are bailing on their Club 33 membership. If you don't respect other people's point of view and look down on other cultures, that's fine to laugh at her and dismiss her. But that's how she honestly feels. And she and her husband are speaking with their checkbook on this one.

It was honestly a series of rapid fire responses from this lady. I almost felt personally attacked, but had to remember she was just unloading her frustration after giving Disneyland over a hundred thousand dollars in dues money over the last decade. But she's done, and thus so is her husband. And the grandkids will need to buy their own tickets it they still want to go to Disneyland now.

It appears to me that Club 33 has lost a great deal of its luster. It should be interesting to see how they respond, and if it's a concept that still exists a few years from now. They need to get the park open back at full capacity and full operational capability ASAP, and then restore some luster to the Club 33 concept. Currently, concepts like Club 33 just don't pencil out for many members. Even if you love waitresses sporting lots of tats as they serve you dinner in an 1890's old New Orleans themed location.

Last edited:

DLR92

Okay, here's what I learned at a liquor soaked sociable down on Balboa last Saturday...

Only one of the two possible Club 33 members were at the sociable. But when I broached the subject with the member who was there, I was immediately pounced upon by the wife of the member (former member?) who was there. She had a LOT to say on this topic.

These are not long-term members. They've only been members of Club 33 since about 2012, and they joined mainly to give their grandkids a good option for Disneyland visits because of how easy Club 33 made visiting and the VIP Tour Guide option that the Club gave them several times per year for the grandkids. The grandkids are now in college, so maybe they would have let their membership lapse eventually anyway? But the wife here was ON FIRE about how fed up she was with Club 33 and Disneyland's miserly management so they are saying adios to the whole thing.

I wish I could have just recorded her on my iPhone for you all, but that's obviously not an option. She said they were left in the lurch for most of 2020, not knowing how or when their investment in Club 33 would reactivate or how they would be compensated. Now that Disneyland is open, the future for how and when they'd be able to access their benefits is still not very clear. The concept of VIP Tours and long, gourmet dinners is apparently still on hold. The special Club 33 benefits like the Jazz Festival and special "backstage" tours are all still on hold. The parks aren't even open past 7pm anymore, so you can't have dinner. She went on and on.

And then she came to a separate topic that some folks here will find offensive..... Tattoos. She went off on the fact that tattoos and grooming standards similar to In-N-Out Burger are no longer enforced at Disneyland. She and her husband want no part of that, especially at the annual dues they were paying. I know a lot of younger folks will laugh at that and think "What a bunch of old fogeys", but she mentioned it as a reason why she and her husband are bailing on their Club 33 membership. If you don't respect other people's point of view and look down on other cultures, that's fine to laugh at her and dismiss her. But that's how she honestly feels. And she and her husband are speaking with their checkbook on this one.

It was honestly a series of rapid fire responses from this lady. I almost felt personally attacked, but had to remember she was just unloading her frustration after giving Disneyland over a hundred thousand dollars in dues money over the last decade. But she's done, and thus so is her husband. And the grandkids will need to buy their own tickets it they still want to go to Disneyland now.

It appears to me that Club 33 has lost a great deal of its luster. It should be interesting to see how they respond, and if it's a concept that still exists a few years from now. They need to get the park open back at full capacity and full operational capability ASAP, and then restore some luster to the Club 33 concept. Currently, concepts like Club 33 just don't pencil out for many members. Even if you love waitresses sporting lots of tats as they serve you dinner in an 1890's old New Orleans themed location.
Well I would be bursting in anger too the way Disney is handling Club 33. You pay premium money that not technically a 5 star restaurant not even on the list for michelin star. It a private club with no current access to use it!? Shame on Disney!

She need to shut her mouth about people with tattoos. Her arguments about the situation is warranted but her personal views of tattoos!? Yuck!

Last edited:

Tamandua

Most people focus on the tattoos but it's a lot more than that. It's pink, purple, and blue hair, unusual haircuts, untidy hair and facial hair, excessive ear piercings, etc. I usually probably wouldn't even notice except I saw it everywhere. You can look at it like they've lowered their standards or just have fewer restrictions, but it is true that most cast members wouldn't make the cut at in n out burger or chic-fil-a. It definitely makes an impression.

Mouse Trap

Original Poster

Ah, yes this is great. I guess the sentiment is the same across the board with Club 33's management team. The only members I know are tied to corporate accounts in someway, but it looks like during the closure everyone was left in the dark. I thought if there was one place Disneyland would be a little more generous with payroll during the closure it would've been Club 33 leadership, but looks like I was dead wrong.

Mickeyboof

You’d think with all the appearance concerns, Disney would pay their employees like actors! Oh wait…

I’ve never seen an untidy employee in a Disney Park, besides the patrons. Why are we so concerned about employee rights when the guests look so absolutely dreadful?

I’m glad those old skeletons are on the way out.

Tamandua

You’d think with all the appearance concerns, Disney would pay their employees like actors! Oh wait…

I’ve never seen an untidy employee in a Disney Park, besides the patrons. Why are we so concerned about employee rights when the guests look so absolutely dreadful?

I’m glad those old skeletons are on the way out.
Isn't the whole point for employees to look like they're at work while guests look like they're on vacation? That's how you know who the employees are. I got turned away from Mickey's Halloween Party one year because they said my Ghostbusters costume was too authentic looking and they didn't want guests thinking I worked there. There's always an expectation that the employees dress more formally and professionally than the guests, especially at a vacation resort. I'm sure they would take issue with a guest showing up in something similar to a cast member uniform (I've seen it happen). Now they're blurring the lines between guests and cast members.

DanielBB8

Because the Disneyland look is well known and everyone expects it especially as a guest who must pay to get in. Guests are not employees. Besides, you can't get away with everything with your dress and appearance as a guest.

Mickeyboof

Isn't the whole point for employees to look like they're at work while guests look like they're on vacation? That's how you know who the employees are. I got turned away from Mickey's Halloween Party one year because they said my Ghostbusters costume was too authentic looking and they didn't want guests thinking I worked there. There's always an expectation that the employees dress more formally and professionally than the guests, especially at a vacation resort. I'm sure they would take issue with a guest showing up in something similar to a cast member uniform (I've seen it happen). Now they're blurring the lines between guests and cast members.
Because the Disneyland look is well known and everyone expects it especially as a guest who must pay to get in. Guests are not employees. Besides, you can't get away with everything with your dress and appearance as a guest.

The company should pay for whole and complete appearance demands. Cleanliness comes with the basic wage. Complete alteration of an appearance comes with a pay bump.

An actor understands this, expects this, and is paid for this.

Just as it is unfair Bob Chapek demanded CMs in Batuu dawns backstory, dialogue and other actions of a paid actor, it is unfair to demand entire cosmetic construction of hourly employees. Also, keep in mind, a large population of CMs are part time.

Professional dress can still be such with kept, cleanly hair, nail polish or inoffensive tattoos. A beard does not make a ruined vacation.

Again, Disney should pay their hourly CMs an appropriately adjusted wage if there must be a demand for certain attributes.

Castle Cake Apologist

Most people focus on the tattoos but it's a lot more than that. It's pink, purple, and blue hair, unusual haircuts, untidy hair and facial hair, excessive ear piercings, etc. I usually probably wouldn't even notice except I saw it everywhere. You can look at it like they've lowered their standards or just have fewer restrictions, but it is true that most cast members wouldn't make the cut at in n out burger or chic-fil-a. It definitely makes an impression.

Where exactly have you seen a Cast Member with pink, purple, or blue hair? Unnaturally colored hair is still against the rules.

Tamandua

The company should pay for whole and complete appearance demands. Cleanliness comes with the basic wage. Complete alteration of an appearance comes with a pay bump.

Just as it is unfair Bob Chapek demanded CMs in Batuu dawns backstory, dialogue and other actions of a paid actor, it is unfair to demand entire cosmetic construction of hourly employees. Also, keep in mind, a large population of CMs are part time.

Professional dress can still be such with kept, cleanly hair, nail polish or inoffensive tattoos. A beard does not make a ruined vacation.

Again, Disney should pay their hourly CMs an appropriately adjusted wage if there must be a demand for certain attributes.
When I worked at blockbuster video nearly 20 years ago, there were higher grooming standards than the new Disney look and I had to read a script on the side of the checkout monitor for every customer. Was I an actor? No. That's ridiculous. Those were the terms of the job and I accepted it. I didn't like the job, but eventually I moved on to another job.

I saw a guy working at star tours the other day with no tattoos that I could see, but I also would have believed he was homeless if not for the star tours outfit. The standards are lower. That's where we're at.

DanielBB8

It's the opposite situation. They can just look for the employees that have this look and hire them. People with this unusual look are only hurting themselves and their careers. It's a possible red flag and potential employers should be careful about hiring them. If you have a ton of tattoos, you're already devalued as a potential employee. Getting hired is actually the employer being generous to overlook it. Still, hide your tattoos, remove your piercings, and dye your hair your natural color if you're lucky enough to get an interview. Despite the new rules, I'm pretty sure it should be the exception. You can't have every on-stage employee to have blue hair, nose piercings, and tattoos.

Castle Cake Apologist

It's the opposite situation. They can just look for the employees that have this look and hire them. People with this unusual look are only hurting themselves and their careers. It's a possible red flag and potential employers should be careful about hiring them. If you have a ton of tattoos, you're already devalued as a potential employee. Getting hired is actually the employer being generous to overlook it. Still, hide your tattoos, remove your piercings, and dye your hair your natural color if you're lucky enough to get an interview. Despite the new rules, I'm pretty sure it should be the exception. You can't have every on-stage employee to have blue hair, nose piercings, and tattoos.

None of this is true for most large companies in the modern world, to be fair. I work at the corporate headquarters of a Fortune 50, and there are tattoos, piercings, and colored hair as far as the eye can see.

Mickeyboof

That’s how casting actors works, understood industry standard. Terrifyingly unfair for regular employees. Never work in HR (especially for equal opportunity employers!)
I saw a girl with either pink or purplish hair at star tours. I don't think they're enforcing whatever rules are left.
How awful for you :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom