Pixar Pals Parking Structure Specifics/Updates

Old Mouseketeer

They haven’t started yet to build the bridge so I would think guests will continue to cross the streets via crosswalk. This is much easier with the new parking structure closest to Downtown Disney. Since crossing the streets don’t rely on the trams, the trams are not as important. They can slowly workout their configuration, which will definitely change after traffic patterns are further refined.

I don’t know how you can relate the toll booths with the trams. Certainly the toll booths can’t hold back car capacity to sync with the trams. This will cascade into the streets. Trams will never match up with car arrival and I would think Disney prefers people to walk. Disney should add moving walkways to encourage more walking. If there’s moving walkways on each level of the new parking structure, guests from the original Mickey & Friends will use them as the preferred pathway. It’s a 1.5 mile walk.

I think Darkbeer is talking about a vehicle bridge connected to the M&F exit path, not the pedestrian bridge over Magic Way. I'm having trouble visualizing how they would add toll booths and approach lanes in the southern third of M&F where the current security screening and loading is located. I had always assumed that any new toll booths would go in the northern third of the ground floor. This should be interesting.

DanielBB8

I think Darkbeer is talking about a vehicle bridge connected to the M&F exit path, not the pedestrian bridge over Magic Way. I'm having trouble visualizing how they would add toll booths and approach lanes in the southern third of M&F where the current security screening and loading is located. I had always assumed that any new toll booths would go in the northern third of the ground floor. This should be interesting.
“The current Tram Loading area is a key component to the new toll booths, so you have to have the new Tram Loading area done and open, and the new Pedestrian Bridge open.”

The pedestrian bridge won’t be open for a long time. They haven’t even started the bridge and the pathway to the former Rainforest Cafe. I doubt the bridge will hold up the eventual opening of the new parking structure. The parking capacity is just too important.

The tram loading and toll booths can also be improvised as what they’ve done so far. Just use the parking on level 2 and up on Cleo with the vehicle bridge leading from M&F. Heck, even Galaxy’s Edge is opening with one attraction left out.

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

The pedestrian bridge won’t be open for a long time. They haven’t even started the bridge and the pathway to the former Rainforest Cafe. I doubt the bridge will hold up the eventual opening of the new parking structure. The parking capacity is just too important.

The tram loading and toll booths can also be improvised as what they’ve done so far. Just use the parking on level 2 and up on Cleo with the vehicle bridge leading from M&F. Heck, even Galaxy’s Edge is opening with one attraction left out.

The Fire Department won't let the structure open if there is not enough fire exits/paths.

The Toll Booths have to be done right to satisfy the APD, along with CalTrans, who is responsible for the Flyover bridge, plus the I-5 ramps off Disneyland Drive. They won't sign off until there is that guarantee of ...

>Key Improvements Reduce Back Up On City Streets by:

• Increasing by more than 60% the ability to stack cars in the ground-level entry lanes before the parking kiosks.
  • Doubling parking kiosk capacity by providing more entrances and lanes to handle increased attendance and loading.
  • Adding more staffing per parking kiosk to accelerate loading of cars.<<
It isn't Disney's Call, it is the one part of the project that has to pass inspections before they can operate at increased capacity. They could close some M&F parking spaces, and switch them to Cleo, but until the Toll Booth project is finished, and approved by government agencies, sorry, but it was one drawback from switching from the Eastern Gateway.

The Pedestrian Bridge can be done quickly, as it will be built offsite, and then placed in place in a few sections. The work on the DtD parking lot to build the ramp and sidewalks will take longer. And if Disney wants to use the vehicle exit on Magic Way, they have to close down that crosswalk for safety/vehicle capacity reasons. This isn't WDW where they can do anything they want to.

Old Mouseketeer

The Fire Department won't let the structure open if there is not enough fire exits/paths.

The Toll Booths have to be done right to satisfy the APD, along with CalTrans, who is responsible for the Flyover bridge, plus the I-5 ramps off Disneyland Drive. They won't sign off until there is that guarantee of ...

• Increasing by more than 60% the ability to stack cars in the ground-level entry lanes before the parking kiosks.
  • Doubling parking kiosk capacity by providing more entrances and lanes to handle increased attendance and loading.
It isn't Disney's Call, it is the one part of the project that has to pass inspections before they can operate at increased capacity. They could close some M&F parking spaces, and switch them to Cleo, but until the Toll Booth project is finished, and approved by government agencies, sorry, but it was one drawback from switching from the Eastern Gateway.

The Pedestrian Bridge can be done quickly, as it will be built offsite, and then placed in place in a few sections. The work on the DtD parking lot to build the ramp and sidewalks will take longer. And if Disney wants to use the vehicle exit on Magic Way, they have to close down that crosswalk for safety/vehicle capacity reasons. This isn't WDW where they can do anything they want to.

O-o-o-o-o-kay...

So can we talk about the elephant in the room? There are three basic alternatives for new toll booths:
  1. Doubling up in the existing lanes in the center of the building so that there are two booths for every pair of lanes, as has been suggested back in the thread (I would assume that this would only accomplish a 50-75% increase in throughput).
  2. Doubling the number of entry lanes and subsequent booths on the North side of the existing entrance lanes.
  3. Doubling the number of entry lanes and subsequent booths on the South side of the existing entrance lanes (but this would require tricky, if not impossible, crossing of the exit lanes from M&F from the entry approach lanes).
I may have gotten something wrong along the way. WHERE ARE THEY PUTTING THE NEW ENTRY LANES/TOLL BOOTHS?

Ismael Flores

you know the entrance and exit lanes wouldn't back up so much if the city didn't interfere and block of the lanes with orange cones. It is the most ridiculous thing to do when they force four lanes to merge into one while trying to force people to use the overpass bridge. People still zoom pass the last cones and cut thru all the lanes so they can then block traffic to make a right turn on ball.

or when they block lanes at the bottom of the down ramps and merge everyone into one lane and cause back up on those ramps.

The same goes for entry when they have multiple parking kiosk open but they cut off lanes prior to entering the structure with orange cones. then once you are going into the structure cars zip thru the main supports to go into lanes that were closed but have open kiosk.

I swear that sometimes the people that decide these things in the city or whomever sends out those patrol cars have no sense of what they are doing. They sometimes cause more issues

DanielBB8

60% more stacking means more cars in the first floor of the new parking structure that obviously provides 60% more parking spaces. This won't prevent cars from spilling out in the streets if the toll booths are slow.

The new ramps for the new parking structure should improve attendance and loading. We'll just have to see if they designed this properly.

More staffing is almost a side issue. I heard of complaints when guests first arrive at M&F parking structure in the morning and it isn't open or have extremely slow service. I had problems getting inside on a busy morning. It took one hour from the 5 Fwy off-ramp to the toll booths, take the tram, and reach the front gate.

I wish they will redesign the exit lanes of the flyover bridge and down ramp to the 5 Fwy. Forcing cars into one lane is horribly inefficient. Northbound and southbound traffic should be directed to separate paths in 2 lanes each to improve traffic flow.

TP2000

We're heading into the final 60 days now. Here's a construction update, from the college kid I thought we could bribe with beer money to fly a drone over Star Wars Land. But instead he's just wandering around Mickey & Friends and giving us a very thorough status report.

I dunno gang, I really don't think this is going to be open and operating by May 31st. Maybe July or August? :oops:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
We're heading into the final 60 days now. Here's a construction update, from the college kid I thought we could bribe with beer money to fly a drone over Star Wars Land. But instead he's just wandering around Mickey & Friends and giving us a very thorough status report.

I dunno gang, I really don't think this is going to be open and operating by May 31st. Maybe July or August? :oops:

My gut feeling is that the parking structure itself will be open to cars before the entire project is completed. The reason for this feeling is that they'd have to completely close off the current tram path in order to put in those trees for the courtyard. So they need to have the new tram path operational before that can be done.

Plus not to mention the bridge is probably at least another month or two away from starting.

So I'm guessing May/June for the tram path switch to the new structure with operating for cars funneled from M&F, and then final completion of entire project Aug/Sept.

Mac Tonight

The new parking structure may not be open in time for the opening of Star Wars : Galaxy's Edge at Disneyland Park, but I can assure you, once it does open, it will be the most thrilling parking lot experience we've ever built. We're talking immersion on a whole new level! It's more timeless, more relevant, and more Disney than any other parking experience there is!

Get excited!

The Mur

When it was announced I thought they were saying late 2019 so I don't think we will be anywhere close to done for the early months of SW:GE

flynnibus

Premium Member

The latest effort is the installation of parking sensors, which began in January, that will tell drivers at once how many empty spaces exist on each floor, and where they might be located.

Many people are familiar with this technology from shopping malls, where it’s been used now for years. Disney hasn’t said specifically which technology is being installed. Various systems use magnetic, radio-frequency sensors or cameras to monitor the number of slots available, though there’s competing technology as to how to do it.

Disneyland Resort officials said that the sensors will display available spots on each floor. Drivers on the prowl will see a green light when they drive down a row where a space is open. Digital signs at the end of each row will indicate how many spaces are available.

Each floor requires several weeks of installation, calibration and testing, Disney officials said. The work should not affect guests to the park. Officials hope the system will begin operations in a limited way in June.<<

Well Disney used one system at Disney springs... and now is in the process of replacing it with another. Hopefully they know how to share info inside the company :)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A construction update from our favorite lady blogger is here this evening.

70 days from opening. Again I say, this doesn't look like it will be open for Star Wars Land on May 31st. Or even June.
Late July or August maybe?

The bigger question, will it be ready for June 24th when SW:GE opens to the public without reservation?

My gut feeling again is for parking yes it’ll be ready. Other things like the pedestrian bridge, no. We’ll be looking at Aug/Sept for that stuff. But overall I expect they will push to get the parking structure itself opened by the June 24th date.

Darkbeer1

The bigger question, will it be ready for June 24th when SW:GE opens to the public without reservation?

My gut feeling again is for parking yes it’ll be ready. Other things like the pedestrian bridge, no. We’ll be looking at Aug/Sept for that stuff. But overall I expect they will push to get the parking structure itself opened by the June 24th date.

Once again, without the complex completed (I would say the Tram is optional), the Anaheim Fire Marshall and the city in regards to city street issues, will not allow the structure to open.

Proper ingress and egress for vehicles AND Pedestrians MUST be available for the volume it is rated for. So Disney could shift some parking spaces from M&F to Cleo, but not increase the capacity without providing new pathways in case of emergency.

When the city approved the new pedestrian bridge, one of the stipulations was to remove the pedestrian traffic off city streets and to provide a safer walkway. Disney CAN'T place more people crossing Magic Way at street level.

Plans are already worked out to have guest cars park at the Katella CM Lot (See the Permits thread for the requested changes), and to also use Pumbaa.

Be prepared for "Parking Lots Full" signs, and CM parking at Angel Stadium and the Honda Center, depending on the current daily use of the two facilities. Even the Convention Center, and maybe GardenWalk could be used on selected days.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Once again, without the complex completed (I would say the Tram is optional), the Anaheim Fire Marshall and the city in regards to city street issues, will not allow the structure to open.

Proper ingress and egress for vehicles AND Pedestrians MUST be available for the volume it is rated for. So Disney could shift some parking spaces from M&F to Cleo, but not increase the capacity without providing new pathways in case of emergency.

When the city approved the new pedestrian bridge, one of the stipulations was to remove the pedestrian traffic off city streets and to provide a safer walkway. Disney CAN'T place more people crossing Magic Way at street level.

Plans are already worked out to have guest cars park at the Katella CM Lot (See the Permits thread for the requested changes), and to also use Pumbaa.

Be prepared for "Parking Lots Full" signs, and CM parking at Angel Stadium and the Honda Center, depending on the current daily use of the two facilities. Even the Convention Center, and maybe GardenWalk could be used on selected days.
I’m still holding out hope they find a way to partially open the structure by the end of June. You’re more than likely right it’s not possible, but I try to be optimistic. Where there is a will and the almighty dollar there is a way.

I’m still thinking Aug/Sept for final completion of everything even if they can’t partial open the structure in June.

Last edited:

jmuboy

I’m still holding out hope they find a way to partially open the structure by the end of June. You’re more than likely right it’s not possible, but I try to be optimistic. Where there is a will and the almighty dollar there is a way.

I’m still thinking Aug/Sept for final completion of everything even if they can’t partial open the structure in June.
Regardless if a June or July opening ...... literally the fastest theme park build at Disney under Iger.

TP2000

I honestly don't think this entire project will be done until September. I'm trying to be nice by saying "July or August" because so many people here insisted the entire thing will be ready by May 31st. It won't. Maybe they'll be able to open some levels of parking in the new Cleo expansion structure by mid summer, while they continue to work on ground floor entry/trams/security facilities?

I will just stake my claim here and now: The newly expanded and reconfigured Mickey & Friends Parking Structure, with 6,500 additional spaces and a completely redone tram loading area and security screening facility, will not be fully operating until September, 2019 at the earliest.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I honestly don't think this entire project will be done until September. I'm trying to be nice by saying "July or August" because so many people here insisted the entire thing will be ready by May 31st. It won't. Maybe they'll be able to open some levels of parking in the new Cleo expansion structure by mid summer, while they continue to work on ground floor entry/trams/security facilities?

I will just stake my claim here and now: The newly expanded and reconfigured Mickey & Friends Parking Structure, with 6,500 additional spaces and a completely redone tram loading area and security screening facility, will not be fully operating until September, 2019 at the earliest. 🆒

You're probably right. Like I said I was just trying to be optimistic.

I think the biggest indicator like I said before will be when they move the trams to its location inside Cleo. That will tell us they are likely in the final stages of the project. Because I still don't see how they're going to create the courtyard full of trees until then.

180º

There’s no way this thing is fully armed and operational before September.

DanielBB8

I'm hoping the Cleo parking structure will be ready by June 21st as this was the original opening date of Star Wars Galaxy's Edge. They lost 3 weeks. If they're going to be late, certainly they are under no obligation anymore to an artificial deadline. Still, September is way too late for summer when they really do need the parking. They should developed a phased opening. A few levels are opened at a time until the full structure is ready.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom