Claustrophobia in the parks

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
First of all, let me point out that I am speaking of clinical claustrophobia, not just getting a little uncomfortable in tight spaces. I mean claustrophobia where you start exhibiting signs of a panic attack: your breathing gets faster and harder, you might start sweating, you start feeling fidgety and like if you don't get up and out, you might literally lose your mind. It's a very scary feeling, and I don't want people to belittle what is a very serious condition just because they're not sure how serious it can be.

Has anyone else had panic attacks brought on by claustrophobia in the parks? I get uncomfortable on RnRC; first of all, the harness is very limiting as far as movement is concerned, and I get that it's kind of the point. But, the last time I rode it, our train was stopped in the tunnel right before you offload for what felt like 10 minutes (it was probabaly more like 90 seconds). I seriously felt that I was going to start screaming and thrashing to get out of the seat. Even though I don't ride Space Mountain, last fall I waited online with a group of people (I was the only one not riding) and used the last chicken exit. The queue area made me fell very claustrophobic, so much so that I will not even wait on the line anymore. I also had issue with the single riders line at The Mummy over at USF, where I had to stare at the floor and do breathing excercises.

Recently, it has gotten bad enough that I start getting nervous on SSE in that first 'tunnel', where you're going up and seeing the screens at the very beginning of the ride. I've also experienced it during the line for Soarin', Splash Mountain, PotC, and some other rides at both WDW and US/IOA. Has anyone else had similar experiences, or ideas on how to deal with this? I really love the rides, and don't want to stop riding - especially just because I can't handle the queue area.

coasterphil

My father has a problem with it, and he avoids a large number of attractions instead of even taking a chance and seeing what its like. He used to go on pretty much everything, but those harnasses coming down on Alien Encounter frightened him so much that he is very cautious about getting on anything now. All simulators, anything where you wait in a small room, and anything with more than a seatbelt or lapbar harness is out.

k.hunter30

The only time I've had symptoms of claustrophobia in WDW was while watching Spectromagic on Main Street on the Fourth of July. I actually had to duck into the store and miss it.

I've never experienced it while on a ride.

Vernonpush

The only times if felt it were waiting for parades, fireworks, and park openings. I've learned to position myself on the sides of areas so I'm not crammed in the center of large groups of people.

Chape19714

I have minor Claustrophobia, and avoid the space mountain line, as well as Mission:Space. that's the only rides i feel the need to avoid.

maelstrom

I don't believe there is any medicine specifically for claustrophobia, as far as I know. But since claustrophobia can bring on panic attack -ish symptomes, why don't you ask your doctor for a prescription for xanax or valium to be used on an as-needed basis. I wish that I had the luxury of a doctor and health insurance myself so that I could do this as well.

doop

My Dad has problems with claustrophobia, but the only ride that he can't handle in WDW is Mission: Space, he really freaked out on that when he made the mistake of riding it.

Figment82

I get claustrophobia when it involves large groups of people, not small places. (If that makes sense at all) While it's not clinical claustrophobia by any means, I do get shortness of breath and can have minor panic attacks.

The worse I've ever gotten it was when working in the store on New Years Eve - the hoardes of people was just too much for me. Luckily I had the chance to duck away every now and then and go backstage to take a breath.

Being able to go someplace where you can be by yourself and just calm down can help a lot. I know you don't always get the chance, especially being at Disney, but if you just slow down, take deep breaths and relax, it might help you feel better. Perhaps go someplace off the beaten path, clear your mind, and then go on to a ride or particular area that bothers you.

MaXXimus

Have you ever thought of using Paxil? Man Im telling you... I had major panic attacks years ago. All I had to do is feel I was being talked about or stared at in public and it was enough for me to head straight for the door, once even left the bank right in the middle of a transaction.

Anyway I went on Paxil for a little over a year and started noticing that my attacks were pretty much gone and soon after I weined myself off the Paxil and was able to cope on my own without it and still going strong for the most part.

Tim G

I never have (or have) panic attacks in the parks

But claustrophobia only in Mission:Space...

I've rode it 2 times... first time was voluntarily in the "sand bagging" stage
and one more time during the grand opening, and more because management expected that from me...

It's the only ride I never visit anymore... Although it really is a great ride...

e4ymod

Both my father and I are claustrophobic. The only ride that I've had issues with is Mission:Space. My dad can't do Mission:Space or Rock n' Roller Coaster.

fizzle75

I don't believe there is any medicine specifically for claustrophobia, as far as I know. But since claustrophobia can bring on panic attack -ish symptomes, why don't you ask your doctor for a prescription for xanax or valium to be used on an as-needed basis. I wish that I had the luxury of a doctor and health insurance myself so that I could do this as well.

That's what I was thinkin'.:shrug:

fizzle75

Have you ever thought of using Paxil? Man Im telling you... I had major panic attacks years ago. All I had to do is feel I was being talked about or stared at in public and it was enough for me to head straight for the door, once even left the bank right in the middle of a transaction.

Anyway I went on Paxil for a little over a year and started noticing that my attacks were pretty much gone and soon after I weined myself off the Paxil and was able to cope on my own without it and still going strong for the most part.

Same here. The weining process can be a bear though! At least for me it was.

autumndawn1006

I hated AE and SGE for the same reason. If I could have figured out a way to leave I would have done so. I am also EXTREMELY Claustrophobic. I can handle roller coasters because I'm moving, but to be trapped when I am still is more than I can handle.

RatherBinDisney

The thread I always wanted to create but never did!!

I have never been claustrophobic or felt what it was like to be claustrophobic until..............

The mine on Tom Sawyer island. My wife and I were ready to walk in and this lady comes running out screaming and gasping for air. She fell to the floor and I ran over to see if she was OK. Once she caught her breath I asked if she was alright and she said she was claustrophobic. At that moment I really didn't think anything of it but once I picked her up off the ground I looked up and noticed the "mine" sign posted right above the entrance. I then pointed that out to her and she just laughed and laughed. I then asked if she knew what a mine was!!

Anyway, she went on her merry way and the next thing I know I am halfway through the mine and I start to lose my breath, break out in a sweat and I just lost it! I ran about 15 people over, kids and all just running out of the mine. I couldnt stop thinking about her! It drives me crazy to this day and that was 4 years ago!

I haven't been the same since however I have no problem with roller coasters!

blackerbys17

Boy have you come to the right place!:lol:

OK, listen up, I am THE panic attack expert. To make a very long story short, I started getting panic attacks in the hospital after my last son was born due to what I think was a combination of an emergency c-section, MAJOR sleep deprivation, overall stress, and a bad reaction to morphine given to me as a pain killer. You know what a panic attack feels like so I don't have to explain how terrifying it can be. They got more and more frequent and it got to the point that wherever they happened I would avoid in the future because from that point on I believed that the situation and/or location was somehow a trigger for the way I felt and I did NOT want to feel like that again. I didn't understand them but I did did know they HAD to stop.

So, I decided to go to see a therapist. BEST money I ever spent because between her, a prescription on an as needed basis, and homeopathic remedies, I have been doing great for almost 2 years! I suggest starting on a homeopathic over the counter supplement called Clarocet which you take everyday. There is also Seredyn which you only use when you feel anxy. Both are over the counter and non habit forming. However, when you feel you need something that works faster, I suggest getting a prescription for Clorazepate 7.5 mg. MUCH better than Xanax because it isn't as habit forming. I use that only when I feel REAL bad which is VERY rare nowadways, maybe 1-3 times a year.

Aside from that, let me give you coping statements my therapist gave me for when you feel you are "losing it":

1. I've felt like this before. It passed before, it will pass again.
2. Everybody feels bad every now and then. It is a normal part of life and before I know it, I will feel well again.
3. What is the worst that can happen? (Most people think they are going to die.) I've had panic attacks before and I'm still here. It hasn't killed me because it can't kill me.
4. It's not the fear of the situation I fear, but the fear I have of being afraid. Don't fear being afraid, it is a normal and VERY important part of being a human being.

A good thing to do when you feel anxy is go for a brisk walk. The activity will realse endorphins and andrenaline. Without all that extra adrenaline in your system, your body will have a very hard time maintaing a panic attack for long.

I have LOTS of other suggestions. Please let me know if you need any other tips or help. Like I said, it REALLY worked for me!:wave:

mitchk

It's funny this topic was brought up. Last October I started suffering from panic attacks. I had been at Disney in May, before the panic attacks started, and when I started getting them, one of the things I was really concerned about was having a panic attack at Disney World. Panic attacks are the worse, and if you've never had one you don't know how uncomfortable and scary they are. Well, I tried Paxil, and that did nothing, so my doctor prescribed xanax (I actually take a generic version which is very cost effective), and they really helped me a lot. I'm headed back to Disney in May, and I'll be sure to have my bottle with me. I couldn't imagine having to deal with a panic attack at Disney. My whole point is, I know where your coming from, and I think you should talk to your doctor, and get some help. Good luck :wave:

justducky78

I, too, suffered from panic attacks for a good year and a half due to a medication I was on (incorrect dose and bad doctor). It threw me for a loop - some attacks were 'out of my mind' panic where I was sick to my stomach, dizzy, shaking, hot/cold sweats, shortness of breath, couldn't swallow, etc (get me an ambulance!!) and others were more mild. Crowded places, tight places and loud sounds only made it worse. To this day, I'm still leery of closed-in places (airplanes, elevators, etc) even thought I'm panic-free for a year now - yay!

When I feel any kind of panicked thoughts coming on, I say to myself "breathe, relax, breathe, relax" and remind myself that I've surived them before, I'm not going to die or have a heart attack!! I also will take a walk or sit by myself in a quiet room. It does help, but then again, I'm on a different dose of the medication which was causing them in the first place - so I'm lucky in that respect.

At Disney, the only ride I avoided was mission space. My husband said it's a good thing I did, because it's pretty claustrophobic. When I was at WDW in 2006 (and just starting to feel better) I must admit I was a little worried to ride TOT and RnRC because I was afraid the rush of adrenaline during the ride would put me into a panic attack. But, it didn't - I was fine!

It does make me feel better knowing others have gone through (or are going through) the same thing as me, so I hope it helps you, too. You're not alone!! :wave:

PigletIsMyCat

Original Poster
These are all great ideas. Unfortunately, I do not have health insurance or a physician in Florida, so I do not have access to talk therapy or prescriptions. Even if I did, I have already been on most anti depressants and anti anxiety medication in the past, and cannot take any of them due to reactions to the medications. Strangely enough, Paxil was the worst for me, which is weird because it works so well with so few side effects for so many.

Because of the specific situation I am in, which I'd rather not go into gory details here, therapy has not had an effect on my panic and anxiety disorders. Some of these breathing techniques and forced thought ideas seem like a good shot, though.

mitchk

I guess it really depends on how severe your attacks are. I have some that all the breathing and relaxing in the world couldn't help (I almost get the felling of an out of body experience, or fall into a dream like state, where it actually fells like I'm dreaming, and almost loose a grip on reality) It gets really scary. A lot of people knock xanax because of the dependence factor, but you just have to be careful not to overdo it, and your fine (I've been taking two .5 xanax a day for almost 6 months, and they always help) I don't know how bad your attacks are, but I wish you the best. Take care :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom