Cigar Store Indian - Main Street

ppete1975

Disneyland still has theirs right?
I really don't understand the issue with these. I understand the Washington redskins (not the logo but the name, to me the logo is well done), the Cleveland Indians (their logo is way overboard), I can even understand the tomahawk chop. Cigar shop native americans, and to a lesser degree the florida state helmets and Osceola and renegade throwing the fire spear at the 50 (which brings the crowd and team to a fever pitch) which the Seminole tribe has given total support of logo, name and image. I don't see an issue.
I see more an issue with the names chiefs and braves.

BoarderPhreak

FWIW, what the Frontierland one looked like...

i.php

i.php

Last edited:

DisRunner

Disneyland still has theirs right?
I really don't understand the issue with these. I understand the Washington redskins (not the logo but the name, to me the logo is well done), the Cleveland Indians (their logo is way overboard), I can even understand the tomahawk chop. Cigar shop native americans, and to a lesser degree the florida state helmets and Osceola and renegade throwing the fire spear at the 50 (which brings the crowd and team to a fever pitch) which the Seminole tribe has given total support of logo, name and image. I don't see an issue.
I see more an issue with the names chiefs and braves.
I don't understand it either. The Indian on Main Street as well as Frontierland wore James Garfield Peace medals. Men to be respected.
Here's a quote from Museums Victoria Collections describing the medal.
"Indian Peace Medal issued by President James Garfield, United States of America, 1881. Peace medals played a significant role in relations between the United States government and the Native American population.
Following the British and French practice of handing out silver medals to tribal chiefs, George Washington began a policy of presenting peace medals to American Indian leaders at treaty signings and other formal ceremonies. Every subsequent American president from Thomas Jefferson to Benjamin Harrison is represented on an Indian peace medal, with the exception of William Henry Harrison. The medals were often produced in different sizes according to the rank of the recipients."
MSI2016.jpg

ppete1975

That's interesting that they both returned (dl and mk) at about the same time. Either whomever restored them did them at one time (outside company), or if there was discussion if they should return was finally made.

13*Minute*Wait

Original Poster
Reviewed the photos today of "Magic Kingdom's 2018 Christmas Holiday Decor" and the Indian is back on Main Street! Can't wait to get back down there during the holidays and spend time in all of these beautiful parks.
Thanks, that's great to hear. We haven't been back to the MK since Sept, but we're going to be there this Saturday. I'm definitely going to be on the lookout for them, and I want to recreate the photo that my parents took of me when I was young, except this time it will be my daughter offering him a drink.

ABQ

Watched a not very good live stream this morning and I can say I did not see the Cigar Store Indian at his normal post outside the Crystal Arts store, so unless he's been moved to another location, he's MIA again. Didn't see it anywhere on the east side of Main Street.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom