Christmas Parade Taping

what the heck I emailed them 2 weeks ago and got told that it was pass holders and park guest on the day off only and if I wanted to be in it I had to pay for a ticket to the park. So what did they change there minds now?

Blizz

what the heck I emailed them 2 weeks ago and got told that it was pass holders and park guest on the day off only and if I wanted to be in it I had to pay for a ticket to the park. So what did they change there minds now?

I think they were waiting to see the response from WDW Cast and other groups. It takes a lot of work to manage that many people, so who knows...

If someone e-mails them and gets a response, feel free to share.

prberk

I love watching the christmas day parade. Was it ever live? I remember for the first time in 2004 watching it while I was in WDW at pop half century. It was so cool after watching it to have all of WDW at my feet.

Yes, it used to be live. I was there in 1997 or '98, and it was either the first or second year that they had made the switch. And it was easy to tell. From that point forward, the television parade was one big, slick commercial with the obviously pre-recorded "live" cut-ins that it has today. Before that, it had some pre-recorded stuff, but most of it was live, and the energy was electric. There was a different atmosphere.

I wish it were still live. I think if they did not own ABC, ABC would still be wanting them to make it live, a better show... Owning ABC made it easy to be cheap about it.

Paul

mjc1984

Original Poster
This reason they don't do it live anymore is because one the cost of it. It is much cheaper to tape thing rather than air it live. and 2nd one year the parade was rained out and they had no parade to air except for a few taped segments.

Blizz

Are you guys serious? Haha! Cheaper! One could only wish! :brick:

A one day production is a lot cheaper then paying the same crew for three or more days worth of taping, not to mention the camera truck and equipment rentals for multiple days versus one or two. Then you have to pay an entire post crew, pay for a post facility, etc... A live event is less money, more stress... but less money.

By going with pre-recorded/edited product they are able to deliver a higher quality show. This is why Harborlight now has an Emmy award...

Also, Disney owning ABC means nothing. ABC doesnt produce the parade and neither does Disney. Disney works with and pays Harborlight Entertainment to produce the show. It just happens to air on ABC networks because they agree to distribute it. In Orlando for example... it does not air on an ABC network (at least not last year, might change this year ((might not)) )

yeah live is alot cheaper, factor in also that you have to pay for extras to come in. I mean lets look at this last years taping, 9 bucks parking paid by them and the price of admission to the park so thats 75 bucks so factor that by what 500-600 people for one day of taping and yeah the cost adds up. Not counting all the other costs like trucks and such. I would personally rather have live over taped anyday.

JROK

yeah live is alot cheaper, factor in also that you have to pay for extras to come in. I mean lets look at this last years taping, 9 bucks parking paid by them and the price of admission to the park so thats 75 bucks so factor that by what 500-600 people for one day of taping and yeah the cost adds up. Not counting all the other costs like trucks and such. I would personally rather have live over taped anyday.

But if they do it live they have to rent a few satellite trucks to broadcast the signal to a satellite and bounce it around... Then they have to rent air time on a satellite that's in space... It'd be pretty costly to do all that, not to mention having to get your celebrities to perform on X-Mas morning... and paying your crew overtime for working on a holiday, and getting a production truck with a director and switcher and all that jazz...

Blizz

But if they do it live they have to rent a few satellite trucks to broadcast the signal to a satellite and bounce it around... Then they have to rent air time on a satellite that's in space... It'd be pretty costly to do all that, not to mention having to get your celebrities to perform on X-Mas morning... and paying your crew overtime for working on a holiday, and getting a production truck with a director and switcher and all that jazz...

You still have to pay for that either way. Doesnt matter if you are paying for a KU/C band uplink or a Vyvx fibre transfer(et al.), you pay that for both. You pay for celebs the same if they perform on Christmas day or the 30th of November and you pay the crew the same, there is no bonus in the production world for a holiday. They can easily turn around and hire someone else if the person they hired doesnt like the pay for working a holiday. You still need a production truck, a technical director, a switcher operator, Chyron... but with live it is cheaper. Trust me. I know what I am talking about here. Not saying producing a parade is cheap by any means, but live has its advantages and it is cheaper which is why smaller markets usually choose to go that route, but you get a better looking show when you go live to tape and then edit in post and national events are usually done this way.

mjc1984

Original Poster
Dec 1-3 are the dates whne they tape.On Friday and Sunday the they film the musical guest on the castle stage. and on Saturday they film the parade part of it.

We were there last year on the Friday of taping. We will be there again. Magic Kingdom had a crowd, but not so bad that it made a big impression on me. It is very crowded near the stage when stuff is going on, and if I remember right they had it roped off for the parts when they had the cameras rolling (don't quote me). I have been there thanksgiving weekend and the crowds weren't nearly as big.

Hope that helps.

mjc1984

Original Poster
"WALT DISNEY WORLD CHRISTMAS DAY PARADE" CELEBRATES ITS 23rd YEAR WITH CO-HOSTS REGIS PHILBIN, KELLY RIPA AND RYAN SEACRESTMonday, December 25, 2006 at 10/9am cHighlights Include Performances by Beyonce, Miley Cyrus (Hannah Montana), Andrea Bocelli, the Cast from High School Musical and MoreThe two-hour show features a star-studded celebrity guest list with scheduled appearances and musical performances by: Award-winning singer and film star Beyonce; recording artist and composer Daniel Powter; acclaimed Italian tenor Andrea Bocelli; Mexican pop group RBD; tween singing sensation Bianca Ryan; Playhouse Disney's Doodlebops; Disney Channel star Miley Cyrus as Hannah Montana; Disney Channel's blockbuster High School Musical stars Lucas Grabeel, Corbin Bleu, Monique Coleman and Ashley Tisdal; Grammy-Award winner Michael Bolton; pop performers Paris Bennett, Elliott Yamin, Ace Young, and Mandisa; sister act Aly & AJ; Travel Channel Host Samantha Brown; and Extreme Makeover: Home Edition designers extraordinaire Ty Pennington, Paige Hemmis and Eduardo Xol.

wahooskipper

We are going to be at Animal Kingdom Friday and MK Saturday. If we aren't that interested in the taping of the parade is it easy to get around the lands and take in the attractions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom