Child Swap/Switching off procedures

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Having 2 young kids, we've used the "child swap" fastpass thingies extensively on previous trips. This upcoming trip will be different though because my fearless 3 year old daughter has finally reached the 40" mark! :sohappy:

This will be the first trip where we'll be able to experience most of the attractions together as a family instead of switching off. The problem is, my 5 year old son is really nervous about fast rides. I think if he actually went through the queues and observed his younger sister boarding some of them he may be more willing to give them a shot, but I also want to give him the option to opt out if he wishes once he gets up to the ride.

These are the rides I'm curious about:
  • Thunder Mountain
  • Goofy's Barnstormer
  • Dinosaur
  • Kali River Rapids
  • Tower of Terror
  • Test Track

I know my 3 year old will be more than willing to go on any of them. But I'd like to give my 5 year old the opportunity to at least go through the queues with the rest of us and view the ride vehicles, even if he doesn't want to ride. Is there a chicken out exit on any of them?

Thanks. :wave:

maggiegrace1

Laura..You can exit on any of them...Just when you get to the front tell them he changed his mind and they will tell you where to exit..:)

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Laura..You can exit on any of them...Just when you get to the front tell them he changed his mind and they will tell you where to exit..:)

Ok so let's say we want to try Tower of Terror. The 4 of us go through the queue and we get to the loading spot and Dylan doesn't ride. So Andy would take Dylan out the exit and I'd ride with Abby. But then if Andy wants a turn to ride would he have to go all the way back through the regular queue or would they give him a child swap pass or what?

Sulley

Try out Barnstormer or Test Track first. In my opinion those are the mildest, and maybe you can build him up from there and get an idea of how he'll react to the others. Kali shouldn't be a problem (what kid doesn't love getting wet?), but Tower of Terror is not a "fast" ride, if he doesn't like drops, don't push him on there.

-SULLEY

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
Try out Barnstormer or Test Track first. In my opinion those are the mildest, and maybe you can build him up from there and get an idea of how he'll react to the others. Kali shouldn't be a problem (what kid doesn't love getting wet?), but Tower of Terror is not a "fast" ride, if he doesn't like drops, don't push him on there.

-SULLEY

He's actually been on Barnstormer, Test Track and Kali before, when he was 3. All 3 rides terrified him. :lol:

He still remembers them as scary and refuses to even think about going on them, but I think he's remembering them as worse than they actually were. That's why I think going through the queue as a family and having him see that we're all having fun and safe and his little sis likes them might convince him that they aren't so bad. :shrug:

maggiegrace1

Ok so let's say we want to try Tower of Terror. The 4 of us go through the queue and we get to the loading spot and Dylan doesn't ride. So Andy would take Dylan out the exit and I'd ride with Abby. But then if Andy wants a turn to ride would he have to go all the way back through the regular queue or would they give him a child swap pass or what?
They would give him a child swap pass

He's actually been on Barnstormer, Test Track and Kali before, when he was 3. All 3 rides terrified him. :lol:

He still remembers them as scary and refuses to even think about going on them, but I think he's remembering them as worse than they actually were. That's why I think going through the queue as a family and having him see that we're all having fun and safe and his little sis likes them might convince him that they aren't so bad. :shrug:

Why torture the kid. If he doesn't want to ride a particular ride don't push him. Don't even take him through the queue thinking he will be okay at the end. The fact is if he is afraid of a ride the amount of fear he will create in his mind while your waiting isn't going to make him more likley to ride it at the end. The best option is not to take him on them, let his sister ride them if she likes it and seems happy when its over he may decide he wants to try it, but why subject him to something he fears.

If your son was afraid of water would you throw him in a wading pool? Just accept that some kids like some rides and some don't you can't assume that he will like something just because you do. I have no fear of heights, one daughter is terrified of them; the solution is one daughter just wait with mom we don't try to get her to do something she doesn't want to.

Be glad your kid has a personality of his own and accept it. He may never like fast rides.

maggiegrace1

Why torture the kid. If he doesn't want to ride a particular ride don't push him. Don't even take him through the queue thinking he will be okay at the end. The fact is if he is afraid of a ride the amount of fear he will create in his mind while your waiting isn't going to make him more likley to ride it at the end. The best option is not to take him on them, let his sister ride them if she likes it and seems happy when its over he may decide he wants to try it, but why subject him to something he fears.

If your son was afraid of water would you throw him in a wading pool? Just accept that some kids like some rides and some don't you can't assume that he will like something just because you do. I have no fear of heights, one daughter is terrified of them; the solution is one daughter just wait with mom we don't try to get her to do something she doesn't want to.

Be glad your kid has a personality of his own and accept it. He may never like fast rides.

She never said she would make him ride anything....and to bring him through a line is far from torturing (sp) him...:rolleyes:

All she did was ask a question...not once dd she say she would MAKE him do anything..and I am also sure she does accept the fact that he may never like fast rides..she just wanted to have the option of letting him see that it may not be that bad if he went through the line.

She never said she would make him ride anything....and to bring him through a line is far from torturing (sp) him...:rolleyes:

All she did was ask a question...not once dd she say she would MAKE him do anything..and I am also sure she does accept the fact that he may never like fast rides..she just wanted to have the option of letting him see that it may not be that bad if he went through the line.

I'm simlpy going on what I've seen numerous times while waiting in queues at MK. Parents that obviously want to ride a ride have little one that clearly has no desire to ride are pulled along constantly being told that its alright that its not that bad that brother or sister is going to do it blah blah blah... and then in the end because they don't want to do a kiddy swap they get some little terrified kid on a ride that's clearly beyond his/her desire to ride.

Now on the one hand the little kids will probably survive none the worse for wear though he/she may not trust mom or dad as much later and other riders near the little terrified kid will likely no enjoy the ride as much because of the horrified screams of someone clearing wanting off.

I'm sure those parents started out thinking maybe even saying the would just take the little one through the queue and backout if they had too.... the problem is once you've stood in line for 30 minutes to an hour that backing out seems even less appealing. So for me I see it as easier and smart to accept that some kids don't like certain types of ride and no one should try to talk them into them. WHen and if they are ready they will do it themselves.

If a woman didn't want to have ______ would you think it was okay for some guy that was aware of the fact to try and seduce her in the hopes that she might change her mind?

maggiegrace1

I'm simlpy going on what I've seen numerous times while waiting in queues at MK. Parents that obviously want to ride a ride have little one that clearly has no desire to ride are pulled along constantly being told that its alright that its not that bad that brother or sister is going to do it blah blah blah... and then in the end because they don't want to do a kiddy swap they get some little terrified kid on a ride that's clearly beyond his/her desire to ride.

Now on the one hand the little kids will probably survive none the worse for wear though he/she may not trust mom or dad as much later and other riders near the little terrified kid will likely no enjoy the ride as much because of the horrified screams of someone clearing wanting off.

I'm sure those parents started out thinking maybe even saying the would just take the little one through the queue and backout if they had too.... the problem is once you've stood in line for 30 minutes to an hour that backing out seems even less appealing. So for me I see it as easier and smart to accept that some kids don't like certain types of ride and no one should try to talk them into them. WHen and if they are ready they will do it themselves.

If a woman didn't want to have ______ would you think it was okay for some guy that was aware of the fact to try and seduce her in the hopes that she might change her mind?
You are assuming that she is like those parents that you have seen doing that...

The thing is she never said she was going to make him ride..she said that she hoped that maybe going through the line and seeing that his sister was going to do it would make him want to.
If he did not he would exit.

To compare it to what you compared it too is ridiculous.

DBV

My son (7) sometimes gets all nervous because he feels I will be disappointed in him if he doesn't ride a particular ride. He doesn't want to let me down.

So even though you do not force a kid to ride, you can still stress them out and make them deal with high levels of anxiety.

I have changed my approach now, and he can skip whatever he likes.

eroyee

My son (7) sometimes gets all nervous because he feels I will be disappointed in him if he doesn't ride a particular ride. He doesn't want to let me down.

So even though you do not force a kid to ride, you can still stress them out and make them deal with high levels of anxiety.

I have changed my approach now, and he can skip whatever he likes.
agree totally..........

Laura

Premium Member
Original Poster
You are assuming that she is like those parents that you have seen doing that...

The thing is she never said she was going to make him ride..she said that she hoped that maybe going through the line and ssing that his sister was going to do it would make him want to.
If he did not he would exit.

To compare it to what you compared it too is ridiculous.

Thanks Dana. :kiss:

I have a very sensitive 5 year old and I have never pushed him to do anything he is afraid of.

Though I think taking him through the queue would make him excited about the ride, the motivation for bringing him through with us is not so he'll ride, but so we can spend that 30-40 minutes together in line as a family without him having to actually go on the ride.

I really dislike going on a family vacation and then splitting up and having half the family wait outside while the other half goes on a ride, especially when the queue is half the fun. I'd like to take full advantage of the fact that my kids are finally both tall enough to go through almost all the queues with us, and whether or not they ride is not a big concern to me. I've been on them all plenty of times and would not mind a bit having to opt out at the end, nor would I push my son to ride. We'd get to the end and I'd ask him "do you want to ride?" If he says no, then no it is.

figmentmom

Thanks Dana. :kiss:

I have a very sensitive 5 year old and I have never pushed him to do anything he is afraid of.

Though I think taking him through the queue would make him excited about the ride, the motivation for bringing him through with us is not so he'll ride, but so we can spend that 30-40 minutes together in line as a family without him having to actually go on the ride.

I really dislike going on a family vacation and then splitting up and having half the family wait outside while the other half goes on a ride, especially when the queue is half the fun. I'd like to take full advantage of the fact that my kids are finally both tall enough to go through almost all the queues with us, and whether or not they ride is not a big concern to me. I've been on them all plenty of times and would not mind a bit having to opt out at the end, nor would I push my son to ride. We'd get to the end and I'd ask him "do you want to ride?" If he says no, then no it is.

And that's exactly how I interpreted your question, Laura. I agree with you and Dana - keep the family together on line, and give the older child the option of riding or not riding! If Mom and Dad are casual about it, no child is going to feel threatened.:wave:

disneydata

Best advice when it comes to child switching/height requirements:

Ask a greeter BEFORE entering the attraction!

Some rides have different requirements (some may allow children not tall enough up to the load area, some won't allow them in the building). Before having to worry about these things (and having cast members redirect you later on), just ask before. I know I've saved a lot of guest's time when they asked me first :)

DDuckFan130

Are Tower and Terror and those rides 40"? Didn't know that :lol:

I don't see a problem with taking him through the queue. Worst case scenario is he just gets nervous and decides he wants to back out. At least the family will be together, and I think in your case, every minute together counts :)

My friend went with us through the M:S queue knowing well she would not ride. Right at the end we asked that she be shown the exit. No biggie :shrug:

As for the rides you mentioned, You should try Barnstormer and then Thunder Mountain. Those are the tamest roller coasters. Kali I think you said he's ridden....Dinosaur may scare the crap out of him :lol:

thrupaytonseyes

I would suggest skipping TOT with the 3 year old though. She may be tall enough but her neck muscles are not really strong enough for a ride like that yet.

DDuckFan130

I would suggest skipping TOT with the 3 year old though. She may be tall enough but her neck muscles are not really strong enough for a ride like that yet.
True...I think we took my 3-year old cousin on it and she was freaking out. But right before we dropped, she raised her little hand in the air......while her other arm was wrapped around her mom's arm :lol:

It was adorable, and she loved it :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom