News Chevrolet is teaming up with Walt Disney World to reveal the all-electric Chevrolet Bolt EUV and Bolt EV

GimpYancIent

I’ll take a 6MT turbo-4 cylinder (WRX guy here) to compliment my Tesla.

Well, that would be a pretty horrible trip on yourself. Currently you can go NYC to Charleston, SC (12 hours) and make about 4 stops of 30-40 min. My suggestion, stop at a hotel and charge to 100% overnight.

Well a gas car requires exploration, drilling, shipping or pipping, and then being burned in your car. The entire process is polluting.

An EV requires exploration, mining, shipping, generating and then that’s it. It’s clean to use in your neighborhood around your family.

Then consider using wind, solar or other means of clean electricity generation.

So the future process can be even cleaner. Gas can’t do that.
Commute locally and recharge at home (at leisure) sure. Road trips w 30-40 (approx) recharge pit stops? NO!

GimpYancIent

You have to stop to get food and use the bathroom. That 30 minutes is about how long it takes to get food, eat, use bathroom, without rushing,
Oh! My apologies I forgot. There is no infrastructure to support EV interstate travel. Massive (as in HUGE!) restructure, modification, addition or build new recharge and service capabilities need to be built. A few recharge stations scattered at a few gas stations scattered in some urban areas will not cut it. The 30 or so minute pit stop, to me an irritation, is just the tip of the ice burg. Some work places do have EV recharge stations in their parking lots, good for local commute applications. All that said, maybe in the future after a lot of corporate investment EV's may become practical. Ah, I almost forgot. If you look around it is obvious a awful lot of people need their vehicles but must park on the street or designated parking but have no personal driveway or garage, stand by for a labyrinth of heavy duty extension cords running from, apartments, townhouses etc. to said vehicles. People will do what they have to do to get around!

DCLcruiser

Oh! My apologies I forgot. There is no infrastructure to support EV interstate travel. Massive (as in HUGE!) restructure, modification, addition or build new recharge and service capabilities need to be built. A few recharge stations scattered at a few gas stations scattered in some urban areas will not cut it. The 30 or so minute pit stop, to me an irritation, is just the tip of the ice burg. Some work places do have EV recharge stations in their parking lots, good for local commute applications. All that said, maybe in the future after a lot of corporate investment EV's may become practical. Ah, I almost forgot. If you look around it is obvious a awful lot of people need their vehicles but must park on the street or designated parking but have no personal driveway or garage, stand by for a labyrinth of heavy duty extension cords running from, apartments, townhouses etc. to said vehicles. People will do what they have to do to get around!
I don't expect to change your mind about EVs, but a lot of your concerns are being addressed.

Street Parking in Quebec:

all-plug-electric-vehicle-models-available-north-america-montreal-quebec-canada-all-plug-elect...jpg

Flo-AddEnergie-Quebec-EV-street-curbside-electric-charging.jpg

No infrastructure for interstate travel?

Tesla DC Superchargers

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 11.23.15 AM.png

Electrify America DC Fast-Chargers

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 11.24.52 AM.png

Touchdown

Is that what you do 95% of the time?
I do it enough, averaging out over the year about once a month I will do a 8-12 hour road trip somewhere. I’m planning a driving trip to Ft Myers and the Smokies, a 3 week Rocky Mountain road trip, 3 coaster runs to Ohio, and a Christmas Smokies and Branson trips. It’s not feasible for me, but I know I’m not typical.

JoeCamel

I do it enough, averaging out over the year about once a month I will do a 8-12 hour road trip somewhere. I’m planning a driving trip to Ft Myers and the Smokies, a 3 week Rocky Mountain road trip, 3 coaster runs to Ohio, and a Christmas Smokies and Branson trips. It’s not feasible for me, but I know I’m not typical.
I was amazed at the number of Teslas I saw last summer on the blue ridge parkway, wondered at the time how they worked it.

GimpYancIent

I don't expect to change your mind about EVs, but a lot of your concerns are being addressed.

Street Parking in Quebec:

View attachment 529859
View attachment 529861

No infrastructure for interstate travel?

Tesla DC Superchargers

View attachment 529858

Electrify America DC Fast-Chargers

View attachment 529856
Impressive graphics! Translated to actuality not so impressive. A few recharge stations at each lightning bolt dot does not scratch the surface of what is needed. Elon Musk has $$$$$, how much does the day to day working person have? The cost to benefit ratio, as of now, is not in favor of EV's. The all this wonderful electricity is generated how? Solar, Wind, Hydro, Nuclear and Thermal plus some innovations in things like wave action combined are just keeping up with the demand supplementing the fossil fuel burning plants. Take out (decommission) the fossil fuel plants and the diminished generating ability coupled with increased demand will have interesting results. No this is not just about a Chevy EV that is fun to drive around the block.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Ok, but certainly not typical.

Same discussion around why some people think they need a huge pickup truck.. yet 95% of the time use it like a sedan :) Ultimately I think we will see more and more specialized applications.. and you simply augment your special needs when they come up.

I want a car when I'm in FL... but I don't do it enough to justify keeping a car there, so I just rent one when needed. Same logic.. I don't have a tag along trailer.. I just rent or borrow one when needed. Most people aren't driving 200+ miles in a day, so the range thing is alot less of an issue than people think it is for the general population.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Impressive graphics! Translated to actuality not so impressive. A few recharge stations at each lightning bolt dot does not scratch the surface of what is needed. Elon Musk has $$$$$, how much does the day to day working person have? The cost to benefit ratio, as of now, is not in favor of EV's.

It is if you fit the usage profile. TCO is amazing vs a ICE right now. The problem is they are not 'jack of all trades' and have constraints that most are not willing to compromise on yet.

The all this wonderful electricity is generated how? Solar, Wind, Hydro, Nuclear and Thermal plus some innovations in things like wave action combined are just keeping up with the demand supplementing the fossil fuel burning plants. Take out (decommission) the fossil fuel plants and the diminished generating ability coupled with increased demand will have interesting results. No this is not just about a Chevy EV that is fun to drive around the block.

FUD - It's not like those other sources can't be INCREASED. EVs still have the advantage that you can manage your pollution issues through consolidation... vs having 300million problem engines running around the roads.

Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 2.22.40 PM.png

The biggest impact IMO will be the shifting impact of what it means when gas production, distribution, and retail starts to shrink. That will have a huge economic impact - much like Amazon vs retail.

DCLcruiser

Impressive graphics! Translated to actuality not so impressive. A few recharge stations at each lightning bolt dot does not scratch the surface of what is needed. Elon Musk has $$$$$, how much does the day to day working person have? The cost to benefit ratio, as of now, is not in favor of EV's. The all this wonderful electricity is generated how? Solar, Wind, Hydro, Nuclear and Thermal plus some innovations in things like wave action combined are just keeping up with the demand supplementing the fossil fuel burning plants. Take out (decommission) the fossil fuel plants and the diminished generating ability coupled with increased demand will have interesting results. No this is not just about a Chevy EV that is fun to drive around the block.
20,000 globally with most in the US. More coming. This is the future. Give it a chance you won’t want to go back.

GimpYancIent

20,000 globally with most in the US. More coming. This is the future. Give it a chance you won’t want to go back.
It will be be absolutely hilarious if all this projected technology and advancement collapses and humans go back to relying on the horse. Imagine it, fuel is all natural and organic plus the exhaust is fertilizer. Just some bad humor, I do not see EV's as the ultimate solution but an interim option on the way to a real solution.

DCLcruiser

It will be be absolutely hilarious if all this projected technology and advancement collapses and humans go back to relying on the horse. Imagine it, fuel is all natural and organic plus the exhaust is fertilizer. Just some bad humor, I do not see EV's as the ultimate solution but an interim option on the way to a real solution.
Warp drive?

alphac2005

Warp drive?
That made me laugh. I’ll add into the electric fun...

I’ve owned four electric vehicles including currently two Bolts and we’re deciding between adding a Tesla Y or Ford Mach-E right now. It amazes me to read the naysayers and their nonsense. In the past seven years, we’ve had zero car repairs. We’ve paid for tire rotations, regular coolant, and wiper fluid. That’s it. The brakes are rated to last at least 100k miles before potentially needing any resurfacing or anything. There are plenty of fast charger networks throughout the interstate network now with so many others coming in line let alone plenty of local ones where I am. We’re moving back down to Central Florida and I just saw an impressive list of new stations that will be opening up throughout the area this year in addition to what’s out there. And if people haven’t driven electric, my goodness, the instant torque make them incredible to drive. Instant power.

correcaminos

That made me laugh. I’ll add into the electric fun...

I’ve owned four electric vehicles including currently two Bolts and we’re deciding between adding a Tesla Y or Ford Mach-E right now. It amazes me to read the naysayers and their nonsense. In the past seven years, we’ve had zero car repairs. We’ve paid for tire rotations, regular coolant, and wiper fluid. That’s it. The brakes are rated to last at least 100k miles before potentially needing any resurfacing or anything. There are plenty of fast charger networks throughout the interstate network now with so many others coming in line let alone plenty of local ones where I am. We’re moving back down to Central Florida and I just saw an impressive list of new stations that will be opening up throughout the area this year in addition to what’s out there. And if people haven’t driven electric, my goodness, the instant torque make them incredible to drive. Instant power.
I just moved from a 6spd Mini Cooper S to a Mini SE. Holy smokes what a fun car! Now I loved my gear shifting S and all that went with driving it, but if you want more thoughtful to drive, one pedal is where it is at! The instant torque and regen breaking add a uniqueness I find no where else. It was worth going from 3 pedals to effectively one.

The naysayers will be forced if wanting to buy new eventually. It's where it is going, not an interim solution. Just look globally. Maybe some day we'll stop being so gas guzzling.

Oh to add, I have a city driver. No long range here. I charge it once a week. No issues with range. Just a mentality most need to get over unless you are rare, most don't need the range you think. Charging at home or even for free shopping is nice too.

DCLcruiser

I just moved from a 6spd Mini Cooper S to a Mini SE. Holy smokes what a fun car! Now I loved my gear shifting S and all that went with driving it, but if you want more thoughtful to drive, one pedal is where it is at! The instant torque and regen breaking add a uniqueness I find no where else. It was worth going from 3 pedals to effectively one.

The naysayers will be forced if wanting to buy new eventually. It's where it is going, not an interim solution. Just look globally. Maybe some day we'll stop being so gas guzzling.

Oh to add, I have a city driver. No long range here. I charge it once a week. No issues with range. Just a mentality most need to get over unless you are rare, most don't need the range you think. Charging at home or even for free shopping is nice too.
We have a Tesla Model Y (sold the Model 3) and a Subaru PHEV... I miss driving stick (not gas, just manual). I will probably replace the PHEV with another STI 6MT, but I have internal conflicts about it daily.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom