Chester & Hester's Dino-Rama: Dragging Down AK?

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
Here's an interesting link to a review of the Animal Kingdom park: The Theming of Disney's Animal Kingdom In summary, the author heaps praise on most of the park, but says Dino-Rama is a rip-off and Walt would not approve.

What do you think, specifically of the carney games and the two attractions, Primeval Whirl and Triceratops Spin?

barnum42

It's been discussed on here before. General consensus is one of dislike. Some voices have defended it saying that is is an accurate recreation of side show attractions of days gone by. However that's the sort of thing Walt wanted to get away from when he built Disneyland.

PamelaNiebergal

Get rid of them! I love almost everything Disney has to offer but this area is terrible. It seems so out of place in AK (and with all of WDW for that matter) which focuses so well on natural beauty. Everytime I walked by that area I would feel sad. I think it would be better as empty space. JMHO.

General Grizz

My feeling regarding the "recreation" argument: one could always try to recreate something poor with the excuse that it's merely a recreation. . .

. . . the reality is that the lower standard has been created.

Sure, argue it's fun, argue it's funny. But it's undeniably cheap and available in thousands of other spots. Use the budget for quality attractions that can make Animal Kingdom more popular -- this won't.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
As a reacreation of a real-life dig site, museum, and subsequent Tourist Trap it's rather interesting from a design standpoint.

However - with design, no matter how well intentioned a project is, if it poorly recieved then it garners no merit. Academicly it's interesting, but fundamentally flawed. Design is partially art, but not as pompus as to ignore the audience the way art often does.

dave2822

I can see why the particular attractions were needed, there was no where for kids who didn't want to ride Dinosaur to go, Dinoland U.S.A. was a deathtrap for anyone not wanting that one attraction.

But I agree with the rest of the crowd unfortunately that the "theme" should have never wandered off the drawing tables. If you don't understand it (and in that case even if you do) it just comes across cheap and tacky. Sometimes Disney is too good at re-creating.

MKCP 1985

Original Poster
barnum42 said:
It's been discussed on here before. General consensus is one of dislike. Some voices have defended it saying that is is an accurate recreation of side show attractions of days gone by. However that's the sort of thing Walt wanted to get away from when he built Disneyland.
Yes, I know it has been discussed, but this is a new article on the subject, posted on July 1. I figured it was time to pull off the scab and pick afresh at the wound. :goodnevil

Put me down for "hate it," and by that I mean the "roadside carnival theme" of the area. I have no problem with locating a spinner ride (TriceraTop Spin) inside the area, and think that Primeval Whirl can be okay, too. But I draw the line at the carney games. As the credit card girl says, "That's not magic!"

wdwishes2005

i really don't care about dinorama. the only reason i go there is to get a cheap thrill walking on preimeval whirl 50 times to see if ill puke.

lebeau

We walk right by it. Doesn't really bother me, but I wish something cooler (or at least more pleasing to the eye) could take its place.

I heard a few rumers, I think on this site, Not to la=ong ago saying that they where changing Elen's Universe of Energy into a Ride themed on Monster's Inc with Energy. Great Idea if they make it fit with both the movie and real life correctly, Now If they do do this then they should not just trash the sets from the current ride, But do more of an action ride with movement through the diffrent ages of Dinosours. THey could do alot with this including taking down that cheesy boardwalk/carnival type excuse for a themed land.

"BTW I love Elen's universe of Energy!!!"

SteveUK

I see this whole unfortunate embarrasment of an area as a perfect illustration of Eisner vs Disney. Walt created MK, Eisner created this mess in AK - spot the difference.

DisKid

I think the Dino-Rama is INCREDIBLY cheap and tacky. However, I do enjoy Primeval Whirl, even though the theme for that is also tacky.

I also find Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin incredibly cheap and tacky as well.

Both rides, Disney used cardboard-like cut-outs to decorate the ride. How cheap.

I especially agree with this comment:
barnum42 said:
However that's the sort of thing Walt wanted to get away from when he built Disneyland.

Connor002

I'm hoping it's temporary, meaning that AK is in need of attraction and it is there to fill the gap between now and when AK is built up enough to function without the extra rides.

djlb16

Dino-rama isnt creative and it is stupid but rides were needed and there was no where for kids who didn't want to ride Dinosaur to go at Dinoland U.S.A... so its cheap, its stupid, isnt creative but it was needed and primeval whirl is not that bad

angelfaerie52

<3

I love Dinorama. I think it's funny and a throwback. Sometimes I want a little midway in my trips.

Also, I think Primeval Whirl is one of the coolest rides I've ever been on. I don't do big roller coasters ( I guess RnRC and Mummy at the other park take my cake). I think PW is really fun. I like being spun around. Everyone I know loves it. Please don't take it away!!!

disneydreams

he brings up a good point. though it has been discussed before. he broke it down and i had never analyzed it that way. i love AK but dinoland is sad. Dinosaur is a good ride, but all the cheesy carnival crap, needs to go.

only downfall of Disney Imagineering.

Yen_Sid1

Dino-Rama is something that should be on 192 or International Drive, not in a Disney Park. Chester & Hester's was fun at first, but designing a whole area with that theme? very tacky and cheap. Walt didn't want to have a carny type feel to his parks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom