Chefs de France Questions

dxwwf3

Original Poster
I've got ADR's for here on my upcoming trip and this is my first time there. I'm going at lunch and have been looking at a few of the menu items. I'm an extremely picky eater, but I look like there might be a few options here for me. Can anyone give me some info about the macaroni and cheese. I know that the pictures make it look absolutely fantastic, but I've never had gruyere cheese before and I was wondering what that dish tastes like.

Also what are some opinions on the toasted ham and cheese. I don't eat salads, so hopefully they would substitute green beans or fries as the side if I went that route.

And this really is a stupid question, but I've never had creme brulee before and was wondering what their version tastes like. I've always wondered what creme brulee was like, but I almost never get deserts in restaurants, but it looks like Chefs de France has a great lunch fixed price menu where I can get the french onion soup (again I've never had that before), the mac and cheese/ham and cheese and creme brulee for $20. Sounds like a great deal. I've also heard they have really good bread here and that's a huge plus for me.

Thanks for any help.

H20Babie

I have not had the mac and cheese but I did have the Chef's lunch special. I had that for lunch on my solo trip. It was FANTASTIC :slurp:

FranceChefsMeal2.jpg
FRanceChefsmeal.jpg

I didn't get a picture of the creme brulee because I pretty much inhaled it before remembering to take a photo ... lol. But, it tastes like a light vanilla custard (not pudding) with crunchy caramelized (slightly burnt) sugar on top. Mmmmmmmm.

Ariel484

The mac and cheese is very good. It's hard to describe what that particular cheese tastes like beyond the words "creamy" and "delicious." It did get a little rich toward the end of the dish, but I highly recommend it. Enjoy! :wave:

materbuddy

The mac and cheese is awesome- it does have a hint of nutmeg in it, which just adds to the wonderful flavor. If you are unsure about the creme brulee I would get the Profiteroles au chocolat -fancy name for cream puffs dipped in chocolate.

dxwwf3

Original Poster
See I was thinking that it would be like a pudding dish. Again I'm not one that gets deserts in restaurants so that is why I've never had it before.

Does the cheese in the mac and cheese taste anything like provolone (which is my favorite)?

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Honestly this is not the place for a picky eater. You might want to reconsider.

Well I can always get the burger and fries :lol:

Seriously, the french onion soup looks like it would be really good and surely a toasted ham and cheese would work as long as I could substitute the side salad. The lunch menu looks like it has some pretty standard options. Hopefully it works out :)

Does anyone know if Remy can still be seen at Chefs de France? Sorry about asking in the middle of a thread. I thought this might be the best place to find people with the answers.

Mandi

Phonedave

See I was thinking that it would be like a pudding dish. Again I'm not one that gets deserts in restaurants so that is why I've never had it before.

Does the cheese in the mac and cheese taste anything like provolone (which is my favorite)?

Gruyere is milder than Provolone. Almost the nutty flavor a good swiss has, with none of the melting or separating problems swiss has. It also does not get 'squeeky' like swiss.

A lot of the taste depends on the age of the cheese. The older it is, the stronger the taste, but it still never gets really over assertive. It is a very nice cheese - it 'plays well' with other ingredients and it melts nicely. You are going to find it on top of the Onion Soup and in the sandwich as well.

If you go to any halfway decent cheese shop that will cut samples (and any halfway decent shop will) they will have 3 or 4 gruyeres in the case. Go in and ask for a sample. You may end up walking out with a chunk (that's what usually happens to me in the cheese shop :) )

-dave

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Gruyere is milder than Provolone. Almost the nutty flavor a good swiss has, with none of the melting or separating problems swiss has. It also does not get 'squeeky' like swiss.

A lot of the taste depends on the age of the cheese. The older it is, the stronger the taste, but it still never gets really over assertive. It is a very nice cheese - it 'plays well' with other ingredients and it melts nicely.

That sounds great then. I might not like the cheese by itself, but it will probably work great in the dishes. Thanks for the info.

stlbobby

Well I can always get the burger and fries :lol:

Seriously, the french onion soup looks like it would be really good and surely a toasted ham and cheese would work as long as I could substitute the side salad. The lunch menu looks like it has some pretty standard options. Hopefully it works out :)

If your up for it give it a try at least you know what to expect going in. Good luck and have a great trip.

wdwwdeagle

Honestly, as far as I remember, the side salad is really just a small amount of salad on the side of the plate. If they don't sub. it, I wouldn't make that your dealbreaker. Between the soup, main course, and dessert, you'll probably be pretty full (my family was!)

Also, the sandwich is good and hearty -- nothing exotic, so I would think a picky eater would probably enjoy it. It might have had some mustard on it, but you can ask them to leave it off. The creme brulee is not exotic either; it's a very mild flavor. If you like vanilla ice cream, pudding and/or custard, you would probably like it, as well.

I would bet that if you asked if you could have a small taste of the mac n cheese they'd probably bring it out for you in a little ramekin. Or tell them you really want to try the mac n cheese, but if you taste it and really don't like it, see if they will let you send it back and get the sandwich.

Edit: look above at the post with the photos... there's the salad, next to the sandwich.

Sassagoula

The macaroni and cheese is very good, very creamy but not too rich. Unless you just don't like creamy things, it's hard to imagine someone not liking it! Here's a picture:

25ptg21.jpg

And an up close shot to show how crispy and nice the texture is :)

mtl5y9.jpg

dxwwf3

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I've seen many pictures of the mac and cheese and I think it looks fantastic, but I know myself enough that I need to try and check things out before I order :). I know it won't taste like it at all, but I really miss the creamy alfredo over at Alfredo's, so I can definitely handle a creamy pasta dish (although I'm sure they don't taste anything a like).

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
My DH is a picky eater and we eat at Chefs de France during every trip.

I've spent almost 25 years trying to expand his food horizons. :lol:

Great thanks. My boyfriend and I love Pixar and that was one of the items on the list to see while we were at Epcot. I know that it is not a big chance but it is still a chance. Yippee!

(I dont think I have ever been so excited to see a rat...a mouse, yes....a rat, never before)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom