Cheerleading And Dance World Championship

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
Anybody ever hear about this or know how it effects crowd levels?
Our upcoming May Vacation to WDW is falling during 2 Grad Nites and now this...Hmm.....

The truth is, we've been enjoying the very managable crowd levels the first week of May for the last 5 years, and I totally consider myself lucky. :king:

I was looking at touring plans and I see the following week would have been best.
I was thinking of moving it off a week I'd deal with the issue of the ADRs and rebook but I got such a good deal on airline tickets already if I changed I'd be paying airfare prices that i'm sure are through the roof.

I know there's nothing I can do about it, and I'll enjoy myself no matter what but I'm just wondering what to expect.

menamechris

I'll be honest with you - it sucks. They seem to travel in packs, and there really are a lot of them. So you may have a group of 40 girls all in line at the same time that seems to screw up the wait times for rides. If you are booked at a value resort, I would switch to either moderate or deluxe, because I have heard horror stories about them at the hotels (noise levels, slamming doors late at night, etc.). Not to mention, they are pretty obnoxious in the parks. Just my two cents.... :wave:

Upvote 0

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
If that's going to be an annual thing, I guess I'll be moving my traditional "first week of May" WDW vacation--we would always go that week to celebrate our wedding anniversary.

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

Groups were checking in the last 2 days we were there, and the last day was the competition(or a part of it?) Anyways we were staying at All Star Sports and it was CRAZY! The first day they were arriving, we were going to Epcot. We got to the bus stop around 9 in the morning and the line was going so far back and all the lines were combining. It was at least a 40 minute wait for the bus. But after that, no big deal. We were on the 2nd floor in the basketball section and couldn't really hear anybody after around 11. The next day was a different story.

We were woken up by a lovely group of cheerleaders practicing at 7:30am. This was our last day at the resort and we planned to just relax by the pool. Well the main pool was taken over by cheerleaders so we moved to the baseball pool. Let me tell you people were practicing EVERYWHERE! we couldn't even get comfortable. They were all really loud and disrespectful. And they took over ever inch of the resort practicing. I'm sure you will barely notice them if you don't stay at a value(not sure if they were all at sports).

Upvote 0

eroyee

Not just values. We have had them at POR and CBR. they practice all hrs. of the day and night and crowd the busses and yell cheers all the way to the parks. and the food court is a disaster........

Upvote 0

wizards8507

Cheer week is horrible. I don't think the effect on NUMBERS is particularly huge, but the NATURE of the groups is obnoxious. Cheer rehearsal while waiting in line in the basement of Tower of Terror = :brick:

Upvote 0

flavious27

Groups were checking in the last 2 days we were there, and the last day was the competition(or a part of it?) Anyways we were staying at All Star Sports and it was CRAZY! The first day they were arriving, we were going to Epcot. We got to the bus stop around 9 in the morning and the line was going so far back and all the lines were combining. It was at least a 40 minute wait for the bus. But after that, no big deal. We were on the 2nd floor in the basketball section and couldn't really hear anybody after around 11. The next day was a different story.

We were woken up by a lovely group of cheerleaders practicing at 7:30am. This was our last day at the resort and we planned to just relax by the pool. Well the main pool was taken over by cheerleaders so we moved to the baseball pool. Let me tell you people were practicing EVERYWHERE! we couldn't even get comfortable. They were all really loud and disrespectful. And they took over ever inch of the resort practicing. I'm sure you will barely notice them if you don't stay at a value(not sure if they were all at sports).

We were down in march one year, never again. It was some softball or baseball tourny at wdw, sports was unbearable with so many unsupervised kids.

I really don't know why disney just doesn't block all of sports for this crap. There are 1900 rooms, if that is not enough then the event is too large.

Upvote 0

WDW_Emily

We were down in march one year, never again. It was some softball or baseball tourny at wdw, sports was unbearable with so many unsupervised kids.

I really don't know why disney just doesn't block all of sports for this crap. There are 1900 rooms, if that is not enough then the event is too large.

exactly I would have gladly went to another resort if they would put all sporting event teams in one hotel and didn't allow normal guest to stay there, or warned them in advance about the teams. We didn't do research on the cheer and dance competition before hand and only thought grad nights were going on.

Upvote 0

flavious27

exactly I would have gladly went to another resort if they would put all sporting event teams in one hotel and didn't allow normal guest to stay there, or warned them in advance about the teams. We didn't do research on the cheer and dance competition before hand and only thought grad nights were going on.

I also don't think that guests would have a problem if they had a sports teams only eh at one of the parks while the other eh is going on; especially if the teams are being rowdy during the day when they should be practicing or competing.

Upvote 0

thewhitequeen

I've been during grad nights several times and never had a problem with the kids. The parks are closed to guests for the kids so unless they show up early, you won't have to wait in line with groups of obnoxious kids. I've also been during the April/May cheerleading championships and it's nothing like Pop Warner. Just my 2 cents.

ETA - We did not stay at values or moderates though, so that may be where the trouble is.

Upvote 0

ornurse

So sorry for you! When we were down there during the horror of cheer/dance time, it ALMOST made me never want to go to WDW again. Loud obnoxious groups of girls cheering while they walked thru the parks thinking they were the most adorable thing ever!! I don't know who chaperones them as it didn't seem as though anyone ever did. They even cheered thru half of Fantasmic.............need I say more?

Upvote 0

flavious27

So sorry for you! When we were down there during the horror of cheer/dance time, it ALMOST made me never want to go to WDW again. Loud obnoxious groups of girls cheering while they walked thru the parks thinking they were the most adorable thing ever!! I don't know who chaperones them as it didn't seem as though anyone ever did. They even cheered thru half of Fantasmic.............need I say more?

nope, and disney won't care unless there is a huge cat fight and it gets national news coverage.

Upvote 0

MSaboCLBR

Good luck finding any time during the year without any sports teams there. A quick check of the ESPN WWoS schedule shows during February there are tournaments or competitions for baseball, softball, lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, track & field, cheerleading, dance, and football. It is a huge business now with a majority of the teams not being local and having to stay at the resorts. There are not really any discounts or plans available for them so they are paying big money to be there. It makes for a great experience for them to play in such a great facility and also to turn parts of it into a vacation.

Upvote 0

draybook

We'll be there on March 18th, 19th, and 20th for our competition. As a cheer parent, it amazes me how many parents let their children loose. Fear not fellow WDW fanatics, we keep good hold of our daughter and she's VERY well behaved. She doesn't like roaming around with most of her cheer girls and acting crazy.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom