Cheap Vow Renewal?

bamillerpa

Original Poster
My husband and I are approaching our 10 year anniversary and I really want to renew our vows at Disney. We are currently planning a trip sometime during the middle of November 2012. We have never seen the Christmas decorations up but want to avoid crowds. The only thing holding us back is cost. We already like to splurge and stay at the Poly which in my opinion is perfect for a vow renewal since it's more romantic than some other resorts. Is there a way to make our renewal more affordable? We don't plan on inviting guests. It would simply be me, my husband, and our 14 year old daughter. Spending a ton of money on some of the Disney packages seems absurd with only the three of us there. I don't need music or anything like that. I would like someone to officiate, a picture or two, and then dinner with my husband and daughter with a small cake. Any ideas?

GoochDSA

I can't see why something like that can't be arranged for you on the Poly beach with MK in the background, afterall it is not like there is much to set up and it isn't like you'd be taking up much room at all. For dinner, I would suggest either Citricos or V&A's for the three of you. V&A's would obviously be THE number 1 choice, but if you don't want to spend that kind of money on the dinner Citricos gets my vote for best food, best service and most elegant after V&A's. Depending on what you choose for dinner, I can see the photographer being the most expensive part.

I would contact the Poly directly to find out what they can put together for you and what the cost would be, or at least they will get you into the hands of the right people. I don't think contacting Disney Weddings would be necessary.

gardenia

Your only choice is a Disney package... you can't have your own arrangements on Disney property, anywhere. It's not allowed. So there's no cheap option.

britdaw

I was in the same boat as you a few months back... This year is our 10-year anniversary, so we were going to do a vow renewal on our trip. The cheapest package anywhere in WDW is the Shades of Green package for $895. I don't know if you can get married there if you're not staying there, though...
In the end, we opted to save our money and just use it for a special date night out while in the parks. :) I really wish we could do the vow renewal, but spending that much money on something no one will be there for but us and our kids seemed silly to me.

bamillerpa

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. So if they only allow Disney packages how does Gifts of a Lifetime do it? I don't want to get us in any trouble.

As far as V&A or Citrico's, anyone else have any input into which one? They both sound good. Since we will be having the dining plan while we are there does anyone know if either of these are included? If not, I'm willing to pay out of pocket for one dinner.

GoochDSA

Thanks for the info. So if they only allow Disney packages how does Gifts of a Lifetime do it? I don't want to get us in any trouble.

As far as V&A or Citrico's, anyone else have any input into which one? They both sound good. Since we will be having the dining plan while we are there does anyone know if either of these are included? If not, I'm willing to pay out of pocket for one dinner.

Gifts of a Lifetime is it's own thing and are not owned or opperated by Disney. Their people basically enter the parks as guests or visit hotels just like the average person can. I looked into them a bit when I was thinking of ways to propose to my now fiancee. They came up with a couple of "events" for me, but decided to go a different direction. They aren't cheap but they also shouldn't be nearly as expensive as a Disney Package.

V&A's is not on any of the dining plans and costs about $125 per person, which may sound steep but it's worth every penny (keep in mind DH will have to wear a sports coat here). Citricos is on the dining plan. It is 2 credits.

Personally, in your position, I would pay OOP at Citricos if you are on the basic dining plan. The basical plan does not include appitizers but gets dessert and since you plan on ordering a small cake (which I have seen a ton of wonderful looking cakes from Disney) you wouldn't be using the dessert and my guess is would be more inclined to order an appitizer instead, so if you're on the basic plan you would be paying extra OOP for apps and cocktails/wine and wouldn't be getting dessert which basically means you would be using 2 credits for an entree (the entrees are not as expensive as the value of 2 TS credits). If you are on the DxDP then I would say to use the 2 credits.

EvilQueen-T

what about the memories collection? it's $1991 and seems to include what you're asking for. it's more than what's offered at shades of green but is another option. also check with swan & dolphin. they have some of the same disney touches but even traditional weddings held there are less expensive. imo and as a mother whose only daughter just got engaged at christmas (who is already looking at having a disney wedding) they'd be worth contacting.

dreamfinder

It really depends on what you want to do and how you want to skirt the rules. If you are just wearing nice clothes, and happen to have a local officiant stop by for a few words with you, then it shouldn't be a big issue. But if you show up in tux/dress, want music, flower petal carpet etc, then they will but a stop to that. But it all needs to be low key, and not interfere with any guests on property.
Depending on what time you wanted to do it, you may be able to schedule a photo session with their event photographers for afterwards while you are still all dressed up. Or you can usually find a local photographer to come out and work with you, but that will often depend on your timing as they won't be able to use anything outside of the camera mounted flash, and may have issues with dusk/nighttime shots coming out well.
Any TS restaurant should be able to provide you a 6" cake with no notice, but a bigger fancier cake would need to be handled in advance. And only certain TS will be able to do the bigger cakes, it depends on what that resort has for pastry service. Lots of the nice ones come from the GF bakery, so if you end up eating at a restaurant there you should be ok.
If you try to find locals willing to work with you on the down low I imagine that you would be looking at maybe $100 for the officiant, and maybe $150-250 for a photographer. Then whatever dinner and your cake costs you. It would be a bit cheaper.
I'm not sure of your faith, and am not trying to be offensive, but you could get your daughter ordained by the Universal Life Church for free online, pay a few dollars for the official certificate, and then have her take your picture afterwards? That would cost you next to nothing, and would let her be involved in a special event.

Disney Bride

We just got back from doing a memories vow renewal at the Gf.It was $1991.00, max # of four guest not including childern under 2. It was great, we even did a MK photo shoot the morning of. We were married at DISNEYS WILDERNESS LODGE the first go round with an escape wedding, you can do that fairley cheep also and have more guest.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom