Cheap-O Magic Band Question

Jefferson5436

Original Poster
Family is planning a trip to DisneyWorld and we are staying off-site (as we usually do to save money). For the first time ever we plan on buying Magic Bands for the whole family. We are also trying to be as cheap as possible and still have a blast on this trip. The cheapest Magic Bands I see online right now are actually from Disney's webpage that are solid colors for $12.99. I know that is much cheaper than the Magic Bands with designs on them but any info on even slightly cheaper Magic Bands sold online that are legit and will link with our tickets you could/would share? If $12.99 is the best deal we'll take it.

You can call me cheap, that's fine. But every dollar here and there makes this trip easier for our family. Thank you!

correcaminos

Family is planning a trip to DisneyWorld and we are staying off-site (as we usually do to save money). For the first time ever we plan on buying Magic Bands for the whole family. We are also trying to be as cheap as possible and still have a blast on this trip. The cheapest Magic Bands I see online right now are actually from Disney's webpage that are solid colors for $12.99. I know that is much cheaper than the Magic Bands with designs on them but any info on even slightly cheaper Magic Bands sold online that are legit and will link with our tickets you could/would share? If $12.99 is the best deal we'll take it.

You can call me cheap, that's fine. But every dollar here and there makes this trip easier for our family. Thank you!

I don't call you cheap at all. We don't even get new one every trip we go on. I've bought *one* magic band and because I have AP/DVC discounts I got it as a souvenir for my kid who didn't want anything else. So you won't get a stink eye from me.

But yes $12.99 is usually it. The only bands I've seen on sale are the special ones and even on sale they're more than $12.99.

becca_

Hey, any money saved is good to me!! I would say check Ebay, but there are no guarantees that the seller hasn't linked the MB yet. Solid colors might be the way to go. Check the shopParks app and see if any MBs go on sale.

dreamfinder

If you are trying to save money, I'd skip the MagicBands. You don't need them, and other than long range photo tagging on a few rides, there don't provide much tangible benefit that you can't get elsewhere.

I'd be very wary of any bands offered for sale on eBay or elsewhere as once they are linked to an account, they cannot be transferred to a new account. As PPs said, you can keep your eyes on Shop Disney Parks app or the shopdisney.com website. You might luck out and find one of them on sale, or find a general sale on Disney Parks items (sometimes they offer like 20% parks merch or the like) but that's about it.

Rob562

The outlet stores have carried discounted MagicBands if you really want them. You could also buy souvenirs while there.

I was also going to mention the outlets, but they usually only have leftovers from the previous holiday season. (In November the only Bands we saw there were the Halloween Party ones for about $6)

So your cheapest will most likely be the plain ones for $13. Some people decorate them, or you can get decals to put on them. We've bought decals from this site on multiple occasions: http://www.magicyourband.com

-Rob

Jefferson5436

Original Poster
I was also going to mention the outlets, but they usually only have leftovers from the previous holiday season. (In November the only Bands we saw there were the Halloween Party ones for about $6)

So your cheapest will most likely be the plain ones for $13. Some people decorate them, or you can get decals to put on them. We've bought decals from this site on multiple occasions: http://www.magicyourband.com

-Rob
Cool! I’ll check that site out. Thanks. We’re getting a little creative to save some money here and there. For example, we’ve decided to DIY Minnie Ears for each of our 3 daughters.

PaisleyMF

Like the way you think. You could check at the Disney Outlets also for series 1 MagicBands. And who say you can get old event ones and refurbished. Sometimes some paint, glue and glitter can make wonderful one of a kind bands...

Jefferson5436

Original Poster
Like the way you think. You could check at the Disney Outlets also for series 1 MagicBands. And who say you can get old event ones and refurbished. Sometimes some paint, glue and glitter can make wonderful one of a kind bands...
This will be our first time using magic bands. The series 1 Magic Bands will work just fine, correct? As long as they’re new and haven’t been linked?

PaisleyMF

This will be our first time using magic bands. The series 1 Magic Bands will work just fine, correct? As long as they’re new and haven’t been linked?

Indeed, Series 1 still work. Some older ones may have dead batteries. And those are not exchangable. Series 2 the one good thing is that you can remove them from the band and use them with the right pendant as a medal or keychain. Or swap between bands.

dreamfinder

Yes. The only downside to any Magic Band is that they do have a shelf life in terms of the long range readers. This affects things such as auto tagging Photopass pictures on rides, and some interactive on-ride elements such as the Good Bye screens in IASW. The band itself will still work fine touch-tap things such as park entry and FP+.

Nick Pappagiorgio

If you are willing to put up a deposit for a while you could book a trip to a Disney resort that is about 2 months out. Set up your magic bands and then cancel it as soon as your magic bands ship at about 30 days out. I had a friend ;) who did this with great success.

Jefferson5436

Original Poster
I agree with the above poster that the best way to save money is to not get the band at all. They really aren't needed for off-site guests.
We are doing the memory maker though, so to get the ride vids and pics (e.g., 7 dwarves, splash mountain, and ToT) don’t we need the magic bands? Or will the same technology in our park cards if they’re in our pockets also track us on those rides? I thought the magic bands were needed for that. Not sure if my question makes sense.

Rob562

We are doing the memory maker though, so to get the ride vids and pics (e.g., 7 dwarves, splash mountain, and ToT) don’t we need the magic bands? Or will the same technology in our park cards if they’re in our pockets also track us on those rides? I thought the magic bands were needed for that. Not sure if my question makes sense.

For some on-ride videos and photos, yes you'll need at least one Band for the system to read as you ride. All of the others have preview screens when you get off the ride where you can tap your park ticket to claim the photo. As far as I know, Seven Dwarfs, Frozen Ever After and Pirates are the only two that do not have any way to link without a Band.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom