Charging for coffee??

rufio

Original Poster
I've been a DVC member since 2010 and have stayed in several DVC resorts over the last five years. One thing that has always been a huge plus over value resorts is that you have a coffee maker at deluxe resorts (or just DVC? I'm not sure). I'm fairly confident we've always had at least a couple packs of coffee in our room when we arrived and I've always just asked for extra once we've used it. I've never had a problem getting additional packs of coffee. After all, if I'm staying for four days, why would I only use one pack of coffee?

I checked into Saratoga Springs on Sunday and there was only one regular coffee pack, one decaf, and four creamer packs. I used the regular coffee yesterday. I called housekeeping today to ask about getting more and they informed me that each time I got more coffee it would be $3 and I would receive a pack of regular, decaf, and creamer/sugar. Um... This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard. First of all, I don't need more creamer and decaf. I just need coffee. For $3 I could just go buy a cup of coffee.

When did this start? Or has it always been this way and I've been lucky until now?

dreamfinder

That's how it's been. Anytime you book and stay on points, you may be charged for pretty much anything not already in the room, or replenished w/o asking during trash/towel service. There should have been a schedule of costs in the room outlining the extra charge for more coffee, soap, shampoo, towels, etc. Often you aren't charged, but they may do so. Usually if you grab mousekeeping in the hallway and ask, it's not a problem. But over the phone they may charge you.

rufio

Original Poster
That's how it's been. Anytime you book and stay on points, you may be charged for pretty much anything not already in the room, or replenished w/o asking during trash/towel service. There should have been a schedule of costs in the room outlining the extra charge for more coffee, soap, shampoo, towels, etc. Often you aren't charged, but they may do so. Usually if you grab mousekeeping in the hallway and ask, it's not a problem. But over the phone they may charge you.

That's what I actually did right after I posted this. I went and asked a mousekeeper who gave me a few packs, no question! I called back and cancelled the other coffee. It's just crazy to me that "normal guests" get coffee, but DVC members don't...

RoadTrip

It's been that way for as long as I can remember, and I've been in DVC since 2000. You get a small initial supply and then nothing more until "trash and towel" day. Our first night we always head to the grocery section of the gift shop and buy the additional supplies we know we will need. Look at the DVC points required to stay at even a moderate WDW resort and you will see why DVC resorts don't offer some of the "perks" that non-DVC resorts do.

dreamfinder

That's what I actually did right after I posted this. I went and asked a mousekeeper who gave me a few packs, no question! I called back and cancelled the other coffee. It's just crazy to me that "normal guests" get coffee, but DVC members don't...

Keeps the dues down. Every extra towel that the resort charges DVC for, coffee packet, etc drives up the costs of dues.

DisDadWoz

It's been this way as long as I remember since 2010 when we joined. Yes, usually Mousekeeping will slip you a pack or two if you ask nicely. We've found that just bringing a bag of our favorite with some filters doesn't take up much space or weigh down the luggage. It also allows us to make the coffee the way we prefer which is nice and strong!!! Now if we could just get them to add a couple packets of salt/pepper to the rooms that would be nice.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This trip we splurged and bought 100% Kona Coffee from the Poly our first day and had it for the whole trip. It's insanely expensive even by Disney standards but so worth it.

If not I would bring my own coffee and some filters. I'm not a fan of the stuff they pass off as coffee in the room anyway. Sugar packs you can swipe from any number of food locations. We usually do GardenGrocer for some food so I order real half and half. If not the packets can be "found" at quick service locations.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You're not a guest. You're an owner. This is what happens when people don't understand what vacation ownership means when they shell our tens of thousands of dollars for it.
It's actually a very inconsistently applied rule. If she stayed in DVC rooms before and always got extra coffee it would be a logical question to ask. It's not a matter of not knowing what vacation ownership means. You are reading way too much into her question.

Mordu

I'm staying in Boradwalk Studio villa in April. I am planning on bringing coffee and filters. Anyone know what kind of coffee makers are in the rooms? Or what kind of coffee filters I would to pack?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm staying in Boradwalk Studio villa in April. I am planning on bringing coffee and filters. Anyone know what kind of coffee makers are in the rooms? Or what kind of coffee filters I would to pack?
Yep, regular size like Goof said. We actually forgot to pack ours this trip. At the marketplace at BCV they sell a small pack of filters for a few bucks. Probably sold at other resorts too.

wdwjmp239

I'm a DVC member (been a member since November 2014) and I was taken back by the extra charge for things like coffee, but the coffee that's left in the room, to me, tastes like crap anyways. So, I've learned to pack the Keurig and a box of dark roast coffee and I'm good to go! There....coffee crisis averted! ;)

toolsnspools

A bag of coffee grounds and paper filters in your luggage on the way to WDW is about the same size as the souvenir t-shirt you'll take home with you. You can probably squeeze some salt and pepper packets in there too, if you try.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom