Character Fan Mail Disgust

banimall

Original Poster
I believe it was the December's or January's Reader's Digest printed a section of inexpensive or free things to do with your children to include writing a letter to a Disney Character. It stated that your child would receive a free autographed picture. Well, I decided to have my 3 year old write a cute letter to Cinderella to get a picture. Huge Cinderella fan, as any 3 year old is. Anyway, this past weekend in the mail we receive a letter from Disney stating that they no longer accept requests at this particular address (listed in Reader's Digest) and to re-send a letter, via Certified mail to a new address. Absolutely ridiculous, how difficult is it to stuff a picture in an envelope instead of a form letter asking to re-send a letter, certified mail at that. Now I have to explain to my daughter, Cinderella only accepts certified mail and has recently moved. Just joking on that last part, I'll address my own letter from Cinderella since Disney is a let down. Sad state when you have to jump through hoops to get a character picture though.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I believe it was the December's or January's Reader's Digest printed a section of inexpensive or free things to do with your children to include writing a letter to a Disney Character. It stated that your child would receive a free autographed picture. Well, I decided to have my 3 year old write a cute letter to Cinderella to get a picture. Huge Cinderella fan, as any 3 year old is. Anyway, this past weekend in the mail we receive a letter from Disney stating that they no longer accept requests at this particular address (listed in Reader's Digest) and to re-send a letter, via Certified mail to a new address. Absolutely ridiculous, how difficult is it to stuff a picture in an envelope instead of a form letter asking to re-send a letter, certified mail at that. Now I have to explain to my daughter, Cinderella only accepts certified mail and has recently moved. Just joking on that last part, I'll address my own letter from Cinderella since Disney is a let down. Sad state when you have to jump through hoops to get a character picture though.

Dont be mad at Disney, focus your anger on Readers Digest. They evidently didnt do their research before reprinting something.

PurpleDragon

Would you rather them have ignored you're letter altogether? Because thats what they could have done. Since they are no longer accepting character requests at that address, they technically were not obligated to do anything but toss the letter aside. You should be thankful that they were nice enough to reply to you and direct you to the proper address to get the items you requested. :rolleyes:

Wouldn't it be worse if you got nothing back and you're daughter began to think that Cinderella didn't care about her? At least now you have the choice to send a letter to the correct address and get what you asked for. Whats wrong with certified mail? This wa you can track the letter and be sure it gets to its destination, would be aweful if it got lost in the mail and you never got a reply. Again I think it be worse if you got nothing back, cause I'm sure would break your daughter's heart.

banimall

Original Poster
All valid points, they could have just tossed the letter aside. My gripe is having to re-write the letter, re-send the letter. It's a picture of Cinderella not my tax return or legal documents and basically yes, my daughter didn't get anything back until I mail it.

Always looking for something free!

Champion

All valid points, they could have just tossed the letter aside. My gripe is having to re-write the letter, re-send the letter. It's a picture of Cinderella not my tax return or legal documents and basically yes, my daughter didn't get anything back until I mail it.

And thats why you write it on your computer and save it. Then you'd just need to hit print again, and mail it out.

Was the issue of Reader's Digest new? Or was it an older one you got info from?

sweetale

If I were in your position, I would write to Reader's Digest to let them know of the address change. They would hopefully reprint it in the magazine with the correct contact information. Just my 2 cents! :wave:

~Amy

yoda_5729

I can understand all sides on this...

Rewriting a note can get very annoying, especially if you don't know you'll get a reply, and for a little one to do it is very stressing. The good news is you did get a reply....just not what you were looking for. I might explain to her that Cinderella didn't get that note, someone who worked for her did, or that Cinderella was at a different address at the time....but this address....this one goes straight to her. Same thing happens with celebrity addresses.

I am happy Disney at least gave you a reply though, as you could have just been stuck waiting. Would you be interested in posting the address for those of us also interested?

tigsmom

If I were in your position, I would write to Reader's Digest to let them know of the address change. They would hopefully reprint it in the magazine with the correct contact information. Just my 2 cents! :wave:

~Amy

I would agree with this. I'm sure they would like to know that a mistake has been made. You can just drop them an email to let them know.

Sorry things didn't work out for you and your little one, but I think disgust may be too strong a word...maybe disappointment would be better. Kudos to Disney for answering and giving you the correct address.

banimall

Original Poster
Here's the correct address for anyone interested.

Disneyland Resort
Guest Communications
Attn: Character Fan Mail
P.O Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803

Allow 4 - 6 weeks to recieve your character fan card. My original thought was it was an autographed head shot like the old days, but this doesn't look like it.

slappy magoo

"Dear Disney,

My daughter wrote Cinderella a letter, expecting something free in return. Now she can't get it unless I re-send her mail, certified. Rather than get mad at the publication that told me to write you, I've decided to get mad at you. Please give us something for nothing ASAP."

Feel free to copy and paste and send to Disney. They love feedback like that.

Really, how difficult is it for you to find a picture of Cinderella online, print it out, and sign it yourself?

BTW, the Tooth Fairy now only appears at sci-fi/fantasy conventions, and to get your quarter requires a 20 dollar admission fee. :ROFLOL:

SteveUK

"Dear Disney,

My daughter wrote Cinderella a letter, expecting something free in return. Now she can't get it unless I re-send her mail, certified. Rather than get mad at the publication that told me to write you, I've decided to get mad at you. Please give us something for nothing ASAP."

Really, how difficult is it for you to find a picture of Cinderella online, print it out, and sign it yourself?

BTW, the Tooth Fairy now only appears at sci-fi/fantasy conventions, and to get your quarter requires a 20 dollar admission fee. :ROFLOL:

Very funny - and spot on. I was going to make a comment, but I don't think I can say it much better than that.

JikoMarie

I can understand your disappointment, especially if you were awaiting a specific piece of mail. However, it seems like a silly thing to get bent out of shape about.

"Dear Disney,

Well done.

banimall

Original Poster
The only thing I'm really hung up on is I can't understand why the reply would consist of a form to re-send the request via certified mail instead of just sticking the 10 cent picture in there. They already paid the postage. It's not the price of the mail or getting something free or the fact that I can mail one myself to my house.

I'm still trying to figure out the certified mail thing as well.

JikoMarie

The only thing I'm really hung up on is I can't understand why the reply would consist of a form to re-send the request via certified mail instead of just sticking the 10 cent picture in there. They already paid the postage. It's not the price of the mail or getting something free or the fact that I can mail one myself to my house.

I'm still trying to figure out the certified mail thing as well.

Your piece of mail showed up in a place that does not send out these photos. Therefore, I think it's safe to assume that they could not stick one in an envelope because they don't have easy access to them. They probably recommend certified mail because it is guarenteed to get there unlike regular mail.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom