Character Dining - Liberty Tavern or Garden Grill

MandyJ72

Original Poster
Planning all our restaurant bookings and things and have got it down 2 to and wanted to ask some advice from the experts!

Will be there between 28th June & 5th July this year, daughter will be 12 and my son is 7. Daughter loves Daisy Duck (who. unfortunately, seems impossible to find in the parks for a photo so we will be on a mission whilst staying there!!) but other than that they both love all the characters.

More Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy (if possible!!), Goofy & co than the Winnie & Lilo route!

Am I right in thinking that Liberty Tree Tavern is a better bet for the characters that they would like and that Garden Grill is more Chip & Dale based with a visit from Mickey only?

Does anyone know if Daisy usually makes an appearance at Liberty (I know it's not guaranteed).

Thanks for all your help!

Mand
x

When we were there, we didn't see Daisy, but we did get lots of character interaction with the ones there. They came by the table several different times, posed, signed autographs and were really wonderful. Chip and Dale were at LTT as well as Goofy, Minnie and I think Pluto when we were there. My children (11 and 9 at the time) really enjoyed it and we have it planned for this year's trip as well. We are also trying the Garden Grill for the first time, so can't offer anything about that one, at least not yet. The dinner was also good at LTT and their salad dressing (strawberry vinagerette) was delicious!

inafog

Hi! I've been to both places so I think I can answer this.

At Garden Grill, we saw Chip and Dale, Minnie, Mickey and Pluto. The food was pretty good. The restaurant does revolve and my mother claimed she got motion sick. I don't think that's possible, just thought I'd mention it to you.

At Liberty Tree we saw Chip, Dale, Minnie, Mickey, and Goofy. I liked the food here too. At both places they bring out big dishes for everyone at your table to share. The only problem we had at Liberty Tree was we had to go way upstairs and I had to carry our hefty 3-year-old up there. Also it took a lot longer to be seated; your kids are older so this probably won't be a problem.

I enjoyed both and couldn't really pick one over the other. When we went to Garden Grill it had just opened and we saw all the characters twice.

I've only seen Donald and Daisy at Toon Town in the autograph area. Although it seems like I've seen them in Epcot too.

Good luck on the Daisy quest!

MandyJ72

Original Poster
Thanks for that - think it will be Liberty Tree Tavern then - fits in slightly better and no worries about motion sickness (just in case!!).

And thanks for the tips on Toon Town for Daisy - will look out for her there - will ask at the hotel where she is scheduled to be as Amy will be devestated if we don't see her this time.

Wonder how much it would cost to "convince" a CM to be Daisy for a picture ???????????????? (only joking, of course!).

Mand
x

tigsmom

I have never been to the Garden Grill, but we love the LTT (both lunch & dinner) and we are going for dinner again in March. The food is plentiful, the kids enjoy it (as do the adults) and the character interaction is one of the best we've encountered.

We have encountered Daisey a few times right on Main Street, to the right of the train station.

MandyJ72

Original Poster
Im confused now - was showing the kids the LTT page online and it says "come & Meet Minnie" - allears says it's a Goofy themed type thing - but none of them say Mickey is usually there.

Some of the posts mention seeing Mickey there but is he usually there?

They have decided it's definately a Mickey & Minnie one they want!!!!

Mand
x

tigsmom

Im confused now - was showing the kids the LTT page online and it says "come & Meet Minnie" - allears says it's a Goofy themed type thing - but none of them say Mickey is usually there.

Some of the posts mention seeing Mickey there but is he usually there?

They have decided it's definately a Mickey & Minnie one they want!!!!

Mand
x

LTT is presided over by Minnie. If you want Mickey then go to Chef Mickey's at the Contemporary (our favorite character breakfast). Even though they say that Minnie occasionally goes to Chef Mickey's, we've never seen her there. I don't think we have ever seen them both together at a character meal.

slappy magoo

GG - The revolving is hardly noticeable as it moves so slowly
LTT - The characters tend to come around more often

I don't know if the characters come around more at LTT or if you notice them more because of the layout.

GG has booths going all around the cylinder, snd each one faces out as you slooooowly rotate. What you see depends on where you're seated when you start & how long you eat. the back of each booth is tall, so the only people you see are people as they walk directly past your tabe. Much better for privacy but you'd miss any wacky character stuff happening at another table.

LTT's apple cobler-yummy
GG's choclate fondue- God's way of thanking you for being so cool.

PotteryGal

On our trip we went to both Garden Grill and LTT. At Garden Grill there was Chip & Dale, Pluto, and Mickey. The food was OK, my DH loooved the bread pudding for dessert. We like LTT's food more - had to wait the longest for a table there, but it was the same night as MVMCP and it was packed. We had visits there from Chip & Dale, Goofy, Minnie, and Pluto. I liked the character interaction at Garden Grill more, tho....if you can get a ressie at the start of their lunch hours, you get a lot of character interaction...Dale did the hoe-down with DD and tugged on her pony tail!
Both places are great character experiences...you can't go wrong either place! Have fun! :wave:

december

I see you are already booked, but I loved Garden Grill. We saw Mickey, Pluto, Chip and Dale. Lots of interaction, private atmosphere, and we loved the food. We ate dinner there at 7 on my son's birthday. It is the only restaurant my kids insist on repeating when we go back in November.

Donald's breakfast in AK was good, too. We saw Donald, Mickey, Goofy, and Pluto. The characters only came around once, though.

We saw Daisy, Minnie, Eeyore, and Pluto in Toontown. We were there in July, but the lines weren't bad. (one line to see all of these "classic" characters-you had to get in a much longer line to see the princesses). We got great pics with each.

DisneyMarg

The restaurant does revolve and my mother claimed she got motion sick. I don't think that's possible, just thought I'd mention it to you.

When we ate at Garden Grill my adult niece got nauseous as well, and she is rarely ill with anything. She would not have exaggerated it. She was sitting backwards to the rotation, and we thought that might have been a factor. None of us (not even her) really noticed the rotation, so it must be a subtle internal thing. She wasn't really sick - just "green around the gills" for a while.

yazmin182

Thanks for letting me know where Daisy is too! I didn't see her the last 2 times I went and she is my fave!

Good luck on your quest to find Daisy :)

MandyJ72

Original Poster
I can see the Daisy hunt being fun!!!! Hopefully they will have an idea at AKL where to find her.

Can't wait to go now (only 5 1/2 months to go!!) - just phoned and added on another wee meal - how cool does the Sci-Fi Dine-In look!!!!

Never saw that one before - well, saw the menu and the rave reviews but then was looking for something else and stumbled on a description of it then found some pics on Google and showed my hubby and he said to book it as it looks awsome!!!!

That's LTT for Character on 2nd night there; Boma for dinner after AK during the day; Boma for breakfast another morning (well, we are staying there so why not!); Mara for brekky another morning (can't book that one); Sci-Fi dine in and back for H&Y Fantasmic package one night with mum & dad + trying all the foods from around the world in Epcot - I feel food obsessed now - usually we take sandwiches during the day and have hot-dogs/burgers for tea but can't face that for a full week so trying to be organised!!

Mand
x

yazmin182

I can see the Daisy hunt being fun!!!! Hopefully they will have an idea at AKL where to find her.

Can't wait to go now (only 5 1/2 months to go!!) - just phoned and added on another wee meal - how cool does the Sci-Fi Dine-In look!!!!

Never saw that one before - well, saw the menu and the rave reviews but then was looking for something else and stumbled on a description of it then found some pics on Google and showed my hubby and he said to book it as it looks awsome!!!!

That's LTT for Character on 2nd night there; Boma for dinner after AK during the day; Boma for breakfast another morning (well, we are staying there so why not!); Mara for brekky another morning (can't book that one); Sci-Fi dine in and back for H&Y Fantasmic package one night with mum & dad + trying all the foods from around the world in Epcot - I feel food obsessed now - usually we take sandwiches during the day and have hot-dogs/burgers for tea but can't face that for a full week so trying to be organised!!

Mand
x

Def. reservations are the way too go, there's no such thing as too much planning!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom