Character Dining changes coming

kadesha

Oh gosh!! Garden Grill is my kids favorite character meal! We have it booked for lunch for November!! The characters definitely won't be there??? Are there any other character meals at Epcot besides the Princess dining? Has there been an "official" announcement? If not, maybe I should go ahead and call and try to get a dinner ADR....

AEfx

In regards to cost, 28.99 doesn't seem that bad for a full dinner especially during a vacation.

Normally I agree that WDW food prices aren't so bad, especially compared with other vacation destinations.

However, I think you will find the reason people put up with "okay" food at $30/head was because of the characters. Let's face it, this isn't haute cuisine. This is sliced turkey, mashed potatoes, a few veggies, and some frozen Stouffers macaroni and cheese (which is no where near as good as the frozen Stouffers stuff they sell in the stores which has that crusty goodness on the top).

I just don't see a family of 4 paying $150 (once you include tax/tip/etc) to eat some warmed over Thanksgiving food.

Now, I actually like the food there, I like basic meat'n'potatoes stuff, but not for $30 when I could just hop on the monorial and get some "real" food for the same price.

I am sure the place won't be deserted, but an awful lot of families will take it off the agenda because of this, and I don't know many adults/etc. they will attract who are gonna pay this price for that food. The customer outrage is going to be huge, especially from people who make annual trips, etc. and have come to expect this.

AEfx

Dagger

Wow, I can't believe that LTT is going to stop being a character dining spot. That's just :brick:

While I have been wondering if I really wanted to keep our LTT ressie before MVMCP, now I know that I am blessed to be able to do this at least once before it's gone. We have gone to WDW so many time and never chose to do it.

The food was good (simple & straightforward)...it's comfort food on Thanksgiving day style. I'm glad we went once too! I guess maybe they are alleviating the character portion because it's in the MK and they feel ppl will come anyway.

kadesha

I just called Disney dining and they confirmed the news about the Garden Grill. I'm so glad you guys posted a heads up! Thankfully, I was able to get an ADR for dinner on the same day!

happymom52003

I just called Disney dining and they confirmed the news about the Garden Grill. I'm so glad you guys posted a heads up! Thankfully, I was able to get an ADR for dinner on the same day!

Did they say if lunch was going away completely, or if they will still serve lunch but without characters?

kadesha

Did they say if lunch was going away completely, or if they will still serve lunch but without characters?

She didn't say. But I'm thinking there will still be lunch because when she asked what time I'd like to try to make my new ADR for she said "The earliest time to see the characters would be 4:30."

I'm on another board though, and some of those people say that the CM they spoke with said there is no lunch at all. So I don't know, I'm not even sure if THEY (disney) knows! :ROFLOL:

If you have a reservation after 10-5, you should call to be sure!

Ciciwoowoo

Does anyone remember way back in the day where to only place to have a character dining experience was the Empress Lily Boat in Lake Buena Vista? I don't believe, although I could be wrong, that even the Crystal Palace had characters back then.

In a way, it was more special to have only one experience. If it is watered down too much, it is not as special anymore.

Although, I think they are making a mistake if they don't lower to cost a bit to compensate the folks for the missing characters. Or, they should plus the food a bit.

happymom52003

She didn't say. But I'm thinking there will still be lunch because when she asked what time I'd like to try to make my new ADR for she said "The earliest time to see the characters would be 4:30."

I'm on another board though, and some of those people say that the CM they spoke with said there is no lunch at all. So I don't know, I'm not even sure if THEY (disney) knows! :ROFLOL:

If you have a reservation after 10-5, you should call to be sure!

Thanks. I have a lunch reservation there for October 15. I went ahead and made a reservation for dinner, but I am keeping my lunch adr until an official announcement is made with a specific date in October that it is ending. Maybe I'll get lucky and the last date for lunch will be after October 15th.

kadesha

Thanks. I have a lunch reservation there for October 15. I went ahead and made a reservation for dinner, but I am keeping my lunch adr until an official announcement is made with a specific date in October that it is ending. Maybe I'll get lucky and the last date for lunch will be after October 15th.

The CM I spoke with said that these changes are effective starting October 5. All of the other people that have called are being told the same date. I have no idea why an official announcement hasn't been made yet.

nerdboyrockstar

I hate character dining. But they should have kept them at this location or dropped the prices. That food is NOT worth $30. :lol:

I've never had Crystal Palace. I went to check it out once but it looked like a rowdy daycare. If the food is better than LTT, they should have lost the characters. It looks like an otherwise nice dining location.

LongtimeReader

I would agree with this. Having never eaten at Liberty Tree when it went character, I didn't realize the food was just turkey/potatoes. If that's all they'll offer then it's hardly a boon for people who want regular restaurants in MK again... I guess we'll find out soon enough.

As for Crystal Palace, heck yeah I would LOVE it if that one were chosen to be character free. It's beautiful in there. Too bad, as stated above, that it's a freakin' madhouse, and the tall ceilings don't help.

Anyway, sounds like if something doesn't change with the info we have at the moment, it's a lose-lose situation. Though very few people seem to care about the Garden Grill announcement, interesting...

kcw

Magic Kingdom and the MK resorts mostly offer character meals for dinner. Part of the reason from what I heard was there wasn't enough regular meals for guests looking for non-character dining, so that's part of the reason why LTT won't have characters anymore.

Seriously??? My family wanted character dining, and so I went through and listed the options.... and they were like "uh, that's it"?? A lot of the character dining options they have are at restaurants that don't serve food we like (my sisters and I don't really eat "weird" food, so it was kinda LTT or CP)....

entertainment performers are extremely shocked and saddened by this decision. :brick:

I'll second that... you have no idea, I was literally sick to my stomach when I read this. It's one of my favorite locations to work.... Most people are all upset about PI's news; I couldn't care less, I'm upset about LTT!!!!:(

RiversideBunny

Is it possible that the upcoming expansion of Chef Mickey's in the Contemporary resort also helped decide to discontinue the characters at Liberty Tree Tavern?
Guests who want the characters will be steered toward Chef Mickey's since it's easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom.

:king:

surfsupdon

We haven't been to Crystal Palace since the extra "friends" started stopping by. It was nice to go in and sit without needing reservations and all the noise.

Now that Liberty Tree might be character free, I'd like to go back and try it for dinner.

disnyfan89

I went to Crystal Palace for Dinner the first time about two weeks ago. I was shocked and supprised to see how amazing the food their was. Unfortunatly I always just thought of it as some lame, crappy buffet becuase of the characters. I think CP would do gang busters and have a far higher turn around than LTT if they were to remove Pooh and friends.

Whats truely sad is that LTT is a very popular place for the characters to work. They just love it there. However, CP is know to most entertainment staff as Crystal Prision. Alot of the characters out right HATE it there.

happymom52003

Whats truely sad is that LTT is a very popular place for the characters to work. They just love it there. However, CP is know to most entertainment staff as Crystal Prision. Alot of the characters out right HATE it there.

I wonder how much of that has to do with the fact it is a buffet. I think that all of the character buffets are just mass confusion because of everyone getting up and down.

People miss characters because they are up getting food, and this also makes the walkways that the characters must go through to get from table to table crowded. Everytime I have eaten there I see characters bumping into people.

Chef Mickey's seems to be a bit better in this regard, maybe becasue of the way the tables are laid out. I still do not enjoy being there, but I like it better than Crystal Palace.

In my opinion, I think all character meals should be non-buffet. It is just so much easier for the characters to move around, and much more relaxing for diners. Just my opinion.:shrug:

This is why I am so upset over two non-buffet character meals being canceled.

I wonder how much of that has to do with the fact it is a buffet. I think that all of the character buffets are just mass confusion because of everyone getting up and down.

People miss characters because they are up getting food, and this also makes the walkways that the characters must go through to get from table to table crowded. Everytime I have eaten there I see characters bumping into people.

Chef Mickey's seems to be a bit better in this regard, maybe becasue of the way the tables are laid out. I still do not enjoy being there, but I like it better than Crystal Palace.

In my opinion, I think all character meals should be non-buffet. It is just so much easier for the characters to move around, and much more relaxing for diners. Just my opinion.:shrug:

This is why I am so upset over two non-buffet character meals being canceled.

Couldn't agree more.

We have done LTT, Chef Mickeys, and Crystal Palace.

LTT (IMO) is far superior, Chef Mickeys - OK but I found crystal Palace to be a bit of a bun-fight.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I dont do character dining, so having my over priced meal disturbed by short people inside suits has never really appealed.

Dont know why people are getting upset, as I said I dont use it so if it stopped it wouldnt worry me, and thats all that counts.

disnyfan89

I dont do character dining, so having my over priced meal disturbed by short people inside suits has never really appealed.

Dont know why people are getting upset, as I said I dont use it so if it stopped it wouldnt worry me, and thats all that counts.

What makes Disney magical to so many individuals is the characters. No other park can duplicate them. It is the magical moments they create that are the sparkle in a child's eye. In most situations, waiting for a character at a meet and greet location is long, stressful, and some times very hot. Character meals are so special because you don't have to wait in that line. They come and visit you. What makes LTT and Garden Grill even more special is that they are one of the few restaurants where the characters don't have to rush. You can sit and relax and enjoy a great meal and have an honest to goodness character interaction. Your not in ToonTown or Camp Minnie-Mickey where all they care about is numbers. This is why we need to SAVE LTT and voice our concerns for Garden Grill. To lose these quality interactions is to lose the magic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom