Character autographs at dining to be cut

asianway

I could easily see "virtual autographs" coming to the MDE app in the not-too-distant future. It could even "MAGICALLY!!!" appear in your app after you meet a character. And it could have all kinds of MAGIC!!! added to it, like some MAGIC sounds and sparkly MAGIC effects.

I'd like to kick any and all mid-level executives who consider garbage ideas like that right in their MAGICAL areas...
And then you set yourself up for a VMK situation

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
And then you set yourself up for a VMK situation

Another Internet based product that went POOF during the Iger era...

Yup Disney really gets this internetz thing, executives are still trying to find the pipes... that run to peoples homes so they can charge rent cause Disney IP may flow though them...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Another Internet based product that went POOF during the Iger era...

Yup Disney really gets this internetz thing, executives are still trying to find the pipes... that run to peoples homes so they can charge rent cause Disney IP may flow though them...
No ROI. (forget about the pins, the in-park tie-ins, and all the potential for selling DLC...)

Amidala

I mean, I think the obvious issue here is that families get impatient waiting for the characters to make the rounds. I've seen families (especially at crowded places like Crystal Palace and 1900 Park Fare) get very restless and even pitch a fit when they've finished their meal and want to head out (to the parks or wherever) and need to hang around longer because Alice hasn't signed their kids' autograph books yet. This will allow the characters to hit up tables faster while still having unique & fun interactions with each group.

It's not like autographs are completely over. This seems to be in the testing phase right now, and even if it becomes the norm in character dining at WDW, most of these characters are still available to meet in the parks, where they will sign.

AEfx

It's not like autographs are completely over. This seems to be in the testing phase right now, and even if it becomes the norm in character dining at WDW, most of these characters are still available to meet in the parks, where they will sign.

Right, but the reason those breakfasts are so popular and people are willing to pay the astronomical prices is so they don't have to wait in those lines. That's the entire reason Character Meals exist.

That said, reading elsewhere - it seems to be limited to furry characters and one high volume location. So no, Cinderella isn't going to tell some kid with an autograph book at the table "Sorry, I can't sign your book - come find me some other time"? No way in hell that is ever going to happen. And from what I read, they will still do it if asked - so this just seems to be a "let's try to discourage it" more than "do away with".

wannabeBelle

That said, reading elsewhere - it seems to be limited to furry characters and one high volume location. So no, Cinderella isn't going to tell some kid with an autograph book at the table "Sorry, I can't sign your book - come find me some other time"? No way in hell that is ever going to happen. And from what I read, they will still do it if asked - so this just seems to be a "let's try to discourage it" more than "do away with".
I believe others have said that this is a test so it may be limited now, but if it goes well, it may be expanded. Marie

AEfx

I believe others have said that this is a test so it may be limited now, but if it goes well, it may be expanded. Marie

Oh yeah - I read that as well. I'm just thinking I can't see if they are "cut" that it would be extending to face characters should they expand it - I mean, a costumed character can mime that he couldn't do it (it's always amazed me that they could in those outfits!), but how does Cinderella or Belle do that, you know? I just can't see them denying a kid's request.

That said - now that I've read a bit more elsewhere, on the general idea - I think we are kind of looking at it a bit skewed and the subject of the thread is kind of click-baity. Basically, what it sounds like is that they are giving out these little preprinted cards at the start of the meal, in hopes that it reduces autograph requests. They haven't "cut" them, and characters will still do them on request - they just aren't going to be saying "get your books out!" at the beginning and won't be offering. A comparison in my mind would be a restaurant that stops automatically putting water glasses at a table and filling them, but they certainly will bring you one if you ask.

I don't know if anyone recalls, but a few years ago there was a thread here by someone (who I think turned out to be a "pretend" insider) who swore up and down (I distinctly recall "wait six months and you guys will be eating your words!" type stuff when he was met with skepticism) that there was some revolution coming to autograph books and that Disney was going to be pushing them hardcore. Obviously, that didn't happen. It will be interesting to see if Disney starts downplaying them in general. Those character lines would probably move a bit faster if Disney wasn't pushing the books so much.

Angel Ariel

We don't do autograph books...we have been bringing a Di sney Storybook Collection book and having the characters either sign the title page of their story (if they have one in the book), or the inside cover. We have it all prepped and ready for the characters, so it's not extra time or anything, and it's so much more special as we see the signatures throughout the year when we read bedtime stories. Moving to cards like this would be very disappointing.

Angel Ariel

Wouldn't help. WDW guests have been conditioned to expect seeing every character every meal.

Compare this to Plaza Inn at DL where the lineup is not Back to Back and you probably won't see every one.

Management created this mess and this is the wrong way out of it
Maybe it's because we've been doing pre-park opening breakfasts, but we've seen each of the (appx) 10 characters at Plaza Inn the last 2 years when we've gone to DLR and gotten autographs from all of them. There was one time we had to find a handler and ask for one character (we were outside, but not on the main outside floor..there were only 4 tables at the outside section we were in..the character kept coming out and going straight down the ramp to the main outside area, rather than coming to our section at all), but they handled it quickly and easily.

Angel Ariel

:confused: Have character autographs been a "thing" for that long? I kinda feel like they're a relatively recent phenomena like in the past 15 years or so. From my youth, I just recall people taking photos with the characters.
I remember getting autographs in the late 80s. Definitely not just a post-2000 thing.

asianway

Maybe it's because we've been doing pre-park opening breakfasts, but we've seen each of the (appx) 10 characters at Plaza Inn the last 2 years when we've gone to DLR and gotten autographs from all of them. There was one time we had to find a handler and ask for one character (we were outside, but not on the main outside floor..there were only 4 tables at the outside section we were in..the character kept coming out and going straight down the ramp to the main outside area, rather than coming to our section at all), but they handled it quickly and easily.
If you get there extremely early it improves your odds

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
i am probably in the minority here but I personally wish all autographs would go away and just hand out a card, sticker, or stamp with their autograph - it's difficult and takes too long for some of the characters to sign... I understands its an experience but...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom